peacetoall

peacetoall

May 24, 2019
Guy Waterman, who wrote books about hiking in the New England mountains and the preservation of their purity, died on Feb. 6. He was 67 and lived in East Corinth, Vt.
Mr. Waterman climbed to the top of Mount Lafayette, a 5,249-foot peak in the White Mountains in northern New Hampshire, and sat down to die in below-zero temperatures.
He had sent letters to friends telling them what he planned to do and where to find his body. Five friends retrieved the body on Feb. 11.
''He lived with such intensity that he couldn't sustain it anymore,'' said Rebecca Oreskes, a friend who works in the White Mountain National Forest. ''He talked to us all about not wanting to grow old.''

I read "Good Morning Midnight" years ago and the way Guy killed himself has lingered in the back of my mind on and off through the years. It is incredible to me how one can put themselves through such an ordeal to kill themselves, such courage for the finality of the most precious gift we have - life.. I don't think I could endure it. Although I do plan to do the act in the wild, somewhere idyllic and where I can't be found, but hopefully a much more peaceful method. Have any of you considered killing yourself in such a way as Guy Waterman?

• Love
Reactions: Blue Rose, Deleted member 22624, gtrfvr and 3 others
Cherrypea

Cherrypea

I remember when all this will be again
May 3, 2020
Yes I've thought about flying to Iceland or somewhere similar, going to the wilds and dying of hypothermia. I don't think it'd be that traumatic. But it's more a fantasy than something I've researched and would actually do.

Reactions: Deleted member 22624, Pookie and virginiawoolf86
Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
I've thought about hypothermia as a method but I live in a busy city so I don't know where I'd do it without getting found. It's hard to know how long one would need to freeze to death as there are so many variables.

Apparently hypothermia isn't such a painful method, especially in the later stages or when high or drunk. People who have survived hypothermia claim that all they wanted to do was sleep. Hypothermia is sometimes referred to as "sweet death."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 22624
J

JackTheStripper

Dec 26, 2020
Yeah, I thought about this method a lot. Especially after I almost died of hypothermia by mistake^^" But to be honest I don't think I'd do it... I mean, imagine being outside in the cold, almost dead and some random homeless dude finds you. Or, worse, the police. Like, I really wouldn't want to go into some kind of forest to ctb there and I don't own a house with a garden... soooo, thats a nope for me^^"

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
I can't speak for everyone, but one has to assume that every method of suicide including hypothermia has been considered by people who are serious about ending their existence.

Reactions: Isadeth
N

needaplan

Student
Jan 31, 2020
there is a russian utuber, who let his girlfriend freeze to death in underwear on their balcony, tragic story and may she rest in peace. But it seemed to be relatively quick, I hav not seen the video, maybe it provides a timeframe. Consider a way to avoid frostbites.

Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
I love that! Now I know what to combine my OD with! I hate being cold but I know many drugs give great euphoria, it would make it at least a bit more reliable. I'm done with pain, this will be a gift to myself. I can't let it fail again
Good drugs will make even freezing temperatures tolerable. :)