Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
For the Gundam/Gunpla people out there if you paint them is it standard to pop them apart to paint all the pieces individually? Looking at some videos it seems that way. I'm working on a Haropla kit (if that's even right, it's the little round guy with a robot body) and I have to paint it, can't leave bare plastic. I normally build tanks and figures, sometimes planes and ships, so this is a different style. Any hints or pitfalls to avoid?

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I paint a lot of warhammer type models. I usually find it easier to paint them built unless there are parts that will cause me trouble then I will just semi-assemble, paint and then fully assemble. I do have a couple of gundam kits that I haven't painted, if I was to paint them I would probably tackle them built, maybe paint some of the attachments seperately. I think generally though there is no fixed rule so whatever works best for you, I know a lot of warhammer painters that paint all the individual parts first and then assemble so if that's what works for them then great, personally I find it too much trouble.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I've only got a few warhammer guys (Bretonian questing knights and skellies) but 1000s of historicals and a couple Bones KS piles, lots of ships and planes and 1/48 stuff for games. I just got an mdf oil rig for moderns. The game minis I build first and paint but the gundams articulate in multiple axis like action figures so lots of places where paint wouldn't go or have to be cleaned like in the joints. I saw some paint them and they build then pop them apart and I think I'll do that so I can airbrush it.

I

Iguazu

Jul 12, 2023
Hi Gunpla builder here. It is normal to take apart the model before painting, this helps you get a nice even coat. Also if your kit has polycaps, the paint might damage the polycaps.

Reactions: carac
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Thanks. I'll be sure to take those off. Normally I'm building tanks so polycaps get sandwiched between 2 road wheels.

Reactions: Iguazu