D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Okay, hear me out: Let's say that all climate change is completely bogus somehow. What does this achieve? Does it mean that we shouldn't switch to renewable energy? Even without climate change, petroleum supplies are running dry fast, so we'd have to switch to renewables anyway.

Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Okay, hear me out: Let's say that all climate change is completely bogus somehow. What does this achieve? Does it mean that we shouldn't switch to renewable energy? Even without climate change, petroleum supplies are running dry fast, so we'd have to switch to renewables anyway.
You ever play Civilization, or Factorio, or any sort of game with building simulations? You have to use the old technology to build towards the new.

If petroleum supplies are already running low, we might not even have enough to actually run the machines that create solar panels and windmills and whatnot.

You're absolutely correct, the problem is that the whole fucking world has squandered its resources. If we were to legitimately go full renewables? It would have to be a team effort with every country in on the plan. It ain't something that can happen overnight.

The situation is a mess. My money is on things turning into Mad Max before any sort of actual renewable energy is locked in.

Reactions: Élégie and SuicidallyCurious
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
You ever play Civilization, or Factorio, or any sort of game with building simulations? You have to use the old technology to build towards the new.

If petroleum supplies are already running low, we might not even have enough to actually run the machines that create solar panels and windmills and whatnot.

You're absolutely correct, the problem is that the whole fucking world has squandered its resources. If we were to legitimately go full renewables? It would have to be a team effort with every country in on the plan. It ain't something that can happen overnight.

The situation is a mess. My money is on things turning into Mad Max before any sort of actual renewable energy is locked in.
Only crappy browser rip-offs.

But yeah, you're right. There really is no hope for humanity's future when so many of us are making strawman arguments against established facts (such as this thread and the accompanying video). I just wish our extinction could be quick and painless instead of outdrawn and full of suffering. I mostly just wanted to hear @.CTB's answer to what he would hope to achieve with this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Feeding Pigeons and SuicidallyCurious
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Simplest answer on climate: put your money where your mouth is

This classic phrase is a clear cut way of establishing winners and losers

I implore you to take long positions on companies Invested in Jakarta real estate

Please start buying all the Maldivian currency you can

Please trade weather futures

Please start betting on food prices going down

Please start underwriting flood insurance policies

I'll be there to take your Republican money as I have been doing for a long time. One day the tanks are likely to turn off and the republicans are going to starve . I got a kick out of laughing at you the last time your McMansions and hummers were repo'd during peak oil conventional oil in the 2000s. I don't think I'll be around to get a kick out of peak oil number 2 but I'm sure there will be more angry bald guys than ever out there wondering "why did my wife leave me and I can't afford my SUV anymore"

Last edited:
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Stuff feels pretty simple to me. Take carbon from the ground, burn it into co2, the co2 blocks the sun rays from bouncing out or whatever.

Generally speaking, could be good to make sure you get as much mainstream/real info as random internet stuff if possible.

Reactions: SuicidallyCurious
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Stuff feels pretty simple to me. Take carbon from the ground, burn it into co2, the co2 blocks the sun rays from bouncing out or whatever.

Generally speaking, could be good to make sure you get as much mainstream/real info as random internet stuff if possible.

One thing that always had me laughing : you don't even have to understand co2 to understand global warming

The fuels literally release heat when you burn them as well. Of course this isn't the major source of AGW but it's so common sense

It's like if you were standing next to a fire and say it isn't warm

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
crowd take er durr GIF by South Park

Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
The pasta lord will save the flat earth! Birds aren't real!