A

ASwissGuy99

Just a lonely wanderer, wandering aimlessly
Mar 16, 2023
I hate people wdjo say you should go to the gym and anything will be fine.

They slsdo think anyone can afford a decent gym, or anyone is able bodied. They say that's just excuses, and anyone can get a nice muscular physique and strong.

But that's not true, some people have bad genetics, even with more muscles they won't look good.

Others have conditions and illnesses and disabilities.

And others can't afford gym and a good diet.

It seems most gymbros is are overly privileged and on juice, right?

It's very hard to get a nice muscular physique naturally.
But I hate my ugly weak body it's making me suicidal.

Thing is I don't think I can ever get a nice physique.

• Hugs
Reactions: Electronic Music, Passersby, Kariope and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's best to not listen to people like that, they sound really delusional and are just blinded by their own privileges in life. But it certainly is annoying when people dismiss the cruel reality of this existence with their toxic positivity "advices".

• Love
Reactions: Passersby and leavingsoon99
dendronize

dendronize

Mar 17, 2023
I hate people wdjo say you should go to the gym and anything will be fine.
I fell for the gym meme. Lucky enough to get a cheap personal trainer and worked out 3-4 times a week for months. I'm glad it seems to help some people but it didn't help me with depression at all.

Edit: I do think there can be benefit to sport though for the community aspect, if you can manage to make friends.

Last edited:
S

ScissorYoda

Mar 19, 2023
I think exercise should be advocated for it's mental benefits, not for aesthetics. If your body changes and that creates a more positive body image then that's a nice side effect, but shouldn't be the main goal. As the main goal it can easily become toxic.

I haven't really been exposed to 'gymbro' culture but I imagine it's largely just insecure guys dealing with their insecurities in the only way the know how. I would hope that they are not intentionally putting other people down.

H

HopelessSoul

trapped in an endless hell loop
Jan 23, 2023
Imo gym only helps people that already have good genetics to look even better, otherwise is just a cope, you cant get thicker wrists, broad shoulders or get taller just
by lifting, people that say "just lift bro" either have above average genetics or is trying to sell you some protein shake or some shit like that.

A

ASwissGuy99

Just a lonely wanderer, wandering aimlessly
Mar 16, 2023
Imo gym only helps people that already have good genetics to look even better, otherwise is just a cope, you cant get thicker wrists, broad shoulders or get taller just
by lifting, people that say "just lift bro" either have above average genetics or is trying to sell you some protein shake or some shit like that.

Many also juice

Sighing

Sighing

Constant
Feb 24, 2023
This kind of mentality and people pushing it onto other people in dangerous. Especially when it's regarding aesthetics. Wellness starts with the mind. I used to figure skate, and I was fit, but all the other girls around me were quite skinny. I was 12 years old mind you. My instructor encouraged me to eat 1 egg a day with orange juice and work out 3 times a day. I didn't realise at the time that, all the others, while being older than me, basically starved themselves. I was too young to understand. This led me into anorexia. I'm still struggling with trying to get back to a healthy weight. It completely fucked me up mentally and physically. I can't really eat a normal sized meal without throwing up. I have a myriad of health issues.
I don't understand at the end of the day, what exactly the point is to be a certain way if it makes you unhappy. People can keep their opinion to themselves regarding health, fitness, etc. Who cares if it doesn't make you happy?

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: 6MillionWaystoDie and Seven Threads
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
Me personally, I think it's cope, coz the majority of ppl have low confidence due to looking like a whale. But if you're trying to address the psychological aspect of ACTUAL MENTAL HEALTH, gym is not the answer, understanding ur mind is. I took this "gym advice" and thought i'd pull loads of girls, nothing happened. None told me I'd to up my social skills as well.

AllMyDreams

AllMyDreams

Experienced
Dec 12, 2021
There are people who exercise because they are insecure about themselves and they like to feel superiors over other because of their body. Those people should not influence your decisions at all. Don't aim for a nice body and ignore everything else in your life, your mind is more important.

That being said... exercise does release endorphins and can help you feel better. It made me feel better when I used to go to the gym. The reason I don't anymore is because I'm internet addicted and can't be motivated to commit but if I did go I know I'd be happier.

I would give the gym a shot, don't compare yourself to what others are doing, because going even a little is better than not, I'd say.

ladidabi

ladidabi

Losing all hope is freedom.
Mar 19, 2023
Oh I have heard that way too many times. The gym never helped me get any better. I still go when I have the energy, but I can say with certainty that my depression has become worse over time, even as a frequent gym goer.

stoopid

stoopid

from hell
Feb 27, 2023
As someone who is well build, joining a gym does nothing for your problems, im still highly depressed and suicidal, life itself is the problems, it doesn't make any sense to listen to anyone who isn't suicidal or was in the first place, because nobody ever will understand us

• Love
Reactions: leavingsoon99
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
It seems most gymbros is are overly privileged and on juice, right?

It's very hard to get a nice muscular physique naturally.
But I hate my ugly weak body it's making me suicidal.
True. A lot of gym goers aren't super friendly. I go just to maintain mind, body, and spirit while I work up the nerve to CTB. I've been going forever, and my physique doesn't really change. It fluctuates, but rarely changes. I'm over 40, too. So, unless you have Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's money, it's very difficult to change one's physique at my age. Plus, I just don't have the motivation to pay all that money for the supplements needed to do so. My care factor for this world is gone, and I'm just killing time until I kms.

Electronic Music

Electronic Music

I want to have a choice too
Feb 26, 2023
Sorry if anything has been mentioned I have read through all the replies yet. I'll try to address each of you points to make reading this a bit easier. Overall, going to the gym will 100% improve your current situation if you manage to stick it out anywhere between 8-12 months.

Anyone is physically able to work out, if they're able to move. With calisthenics you don't need to spend a single cent on equipment or special food specifically to work out. Though those things can help in the process, absolutely not required.

Bad genetics affect how quickly you metabolize certain micro nutrients, the (tiny variation in) speed at which specific muscles grow, the shaping and priority your body gives some muscles groups, and a few more things that are pretty negligible. Unless you inject synthol your muscle shaping can be disappointing, but never ugly

True, other illnesses and some disabilities can render people unable to progress within typical workouts.

Again, calisthenics, no gym or equipment necessary. You don't need to buy any food specifically if you actually have no money. Though most people can afford protein powder in bulk, it becomes dirt cheap. Ignore branding, ignore diet advice for the rich. Add 1 more meals if you're too skinny, and remove 1/2 meal if you're overweight.

Yeah gymbros are annoying, as are any people who've conquered a long term goal and want to share. Feels wrong to assume privilege only because they're fit, but from my situation that's just my bias talking. It takes a long time to improve your physical condition via working out, and most want to share that experience. Lot of people are on juice, a lot aren't, doesn't really matter imo.

Yeah its incredibly hard, to a lot of people its the hardest thing they will ever have to do. Difficulty is relative, the people who are fit currently may have had to go through something even more difficult than you are now. Its tough putting in pain and work to see nothing for 3 months. Its really hard.

You absolutely can if unencumbered by horrible disability. People jump to the "you're just lazy", "you don't want it enough", "you're scared to work hard" sayings because it rings true for the majority of people especially in North America and Europe. A lot of people dont find motivation with this kind of 'help', which is a huge problem in trying to assist others in the gym.

That being said, a good physique is not a cure all especially for mental issues. I can promise that spending a year trying your best will improve your situation, though that improvement doesn't guarantee you wanting to continue to live. I wasn't intending to talk down to you by any means, or to over explain any points that seem obvious. I only wanted to give information because it pertained to me, and I feel I can give some sort of value in this field. In any matter, I hope some of this could help, and I hope you stick through working out to really answer those questions for yourself.
Wow this is a long post - sorry.

Reactions: embrace_release