M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
Interesting new article on how data on suicides is gathered and how health organizations such as the WHO estimate suicide incidences:

Even if you're not interested in that, I'd reccomend checking out Our World in Data. They have some great ressources and provide interesting stats on all sorts of topics including suicide:

• Love
Reactions: etherealspring, pleaseiwanttogo and sugarb
Velvet Fortress

Velvet Fortress

Dec 13, 2021
Surprised to learn suicide rates are actually declining globally despite all this media talk about mental health issues being on the rise

I'm assuming the US being an outlier must be due to firearms access

Reactions: yunzzzk, ToMoveOn and murun_b
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I think suicides are higher than what is reported

Reactions: Talvikki, Nikitatos, Fall_Apart and 4 others
M

murun_b

Aug 5, 2023
I think suicides are higher than what is reported
They most certainly are and that's why statisticians try to correct for underreporting. But these adjustments are themselves based on research that is often limited and sparse. So, there remains a high uncertainty!

Reactions: divinemistress36
T

ToMoveOn

Jun 16, 2024
I'm surprised South Korea has such a high suicide rate.

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
I'm surprised South Korea has such a high suicide rate.
Did a quick google; apparently old folks in SK are often extremely impoverished and they CTB in droves to avoid burdening their families.
Surprised to learn suicide rates are actually declining globally despite all this media talk about mental health issues being on the rise

I'm assuming the US being an outlier must be due to firearms access
My guess is that the net decrease is due to India, China, and other countries where quality of life has increased due to industrialization in recent times. Since a lot of suicides involved impoverished farmers consuming lethal pesticides, there being less access to pesticides and less poverty would mean less suicide

To my knowledge firearms haven't become more available to Americans over the last 50 years, but suicide rates have been climbing over that period regardless. It's probably something to do with the US being a post-industrial society

Last edited:
Reactions: permanently tired, divinemistress36 and Jarni
yunzzzk

yunzzzk

See you later alligator
Aug 1, 2024
I am in stats, and almost certainly there will be under reporting… depending on data entries too. It is impossible to have a wide coverage of data especially in low-resourced countries I would say

Reactions: divinemistress36 and sugarb
D

daisymayhem

Aug 24, 2024
I've had a thought today, yes probably a lot slower than alot of people,but I got there eventually. I have tried and failed to get any form of professional help. The NHS told me they had nothing to offer me, it was ok to be suicidal just don't act on it.blah blah, 2 nhs rejection letters this week alone. So I tried the private route, there aren't many local to me, but I have contacted 3 different private mental health therapists. One told me straight I was to complex for him, another said she would help me asked me to email her more information on my problems, I did, now she's ghosting me completely, not even a rejection email. Yesterday I contacted a multiple therapist practice who said they dealt all things mental health related. They asked for as much info on me as possible, so I gave them a condensed but honest email of my problems, they rejected me today, saying I was to complicated. So I've been thinking all day and have come to the conclusion that whilst they blame my issues for their rejection, maybe the truth is that I'm not good for their statistics and reputation if I do cbt. Am I wrong in my thinking? I mean it says a lot when I can even get a private therapist to take my money.