BornToFail

BornToFail

Experienced
Sep 9, 2022
has anyone else noticed this trend? To be honest it rustles my jimmies.

Reactions: Celerity and NaturalBornNEET
NoLightRemains

NoLightRemains

I found my light again. Namu Amida Butsu
Sep 26, 2021
RDT 20221006 18172887364447327093594212

Memes aside, I notice it also, and I don't fully get it. I was in these programs also, but I feel like these programs/expectations are one of the last things I would blame for my life being shitty. I do think there is a correlation between intelligence and disatifaction with life, but I'm not convinced this "gifted kid" story is anything but another cope. I would love to be proven wrong.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: lofticries, Celerity and BornToFail
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I was in the gifted program in my grade school and junior high years. I don't remember ever complaining about it, but what I do remember is being picked on by others who weren't in the program. Looking back, I wonder if that contributed to self-esteem issues? It was just another stupid little clique that made others feel bad about themselves because they weren't allowed in.

• Aww..
Reactions: lofticries and NoLightRemains
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
IMO, this is people offloading about parents who expected way too much of them. They're too passive to call out their parents directly, so they ostensibly blame themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: GrumpyFrog, Ringo, NumbItAll and 2 others
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
stupid kids complaining about being stupid

Reactions: Celerity
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
IMO, this is people offloading about parents who expected way too much of them
"caring too much" can have roughly the same effect as not caring at all, putting too much expectation on a child. my friend always did better than me, but still felt she didnt do enough (to give an idea of "better than me but still not enough", i was an honor student before my parents screwed everything up and my depression set in)

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
People always negative side situation, guft talent not exception .actual many kid people say gift only abuse poor kid hsve brain only them abuse take advantage, not only prent country everywhere want advantage poor gift kid

• Hugs
Reactions: NoLightRemains, Someone123, StolenLife and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
IMO, this is people offloading about parents who expected way too much of them. They're too passive to call out their parents directly, so they ostensibly blame themselves.

...and it's probably the parents who are the actual failures, and not the spoiled children themselves.

Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Apparently "gifted" is just algebra so those kids definitely weren't gifted then. Anyway, I got fast-tracked (algebra was the first thing they test way back at start of secondary school, and some kids already knew about that and trigonometry before then) and there was nothing to complain about, it was all good. I don't think it was much of a factor in being picked on.

I just wish I had been born into a different family. Average looks and constant health troubles aren't an obstacle, and I would probably be healthier anyway. If I had to trade smarts away, it would be for better looks. Life would be easier and better. There's nothing to complain about really.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I was always a genius and a visionary, but I was never placed in any special programs or anything. My own personal theory is that none of them were ever equipped to accommodate intelligence of this magnitude. One of those "the club can't even handle me right now" type things.

• Yay!
Reactions: Celerity
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
has anyone else noticed this trend? To be honest it rustles my jimmies.
I really would not be offended by this- I was considered to be a "gifted kid"- I did very well academically and did very well on standardized tests, academic competitions, etc. But the main reason for this is because all my parents did at home was scream at me and swear at me like crazy and then ignore me, so I was completely shattered inside, and so I didn't learn social skills and I couldn't make friends, I jsut looked at the ground and I wanted to get cancer and die since second grade. The reason I did well academi9cally is because they tell you the rules in books for what you need to do to be good enough, so I studied a lot- people never told you the rules for how you could be friends, all they did was hate. So people who are considered "gifted and talented" sometimes get into it this way, so I wouldn't judge them so harshly and meanly. Others are "gifted and talented" because they have healthy home environments that bring out the best in them, you never know. Saying it "rustles your jimmies" is so demeaning and mean that it is sickening, to be honest.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: NoLightRemains, StolenLife and Life_and_Death
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
  • Yay!
Reactions: Dead Ghost, GenesAndEnvironment, katagiri83 and 3 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
There are some downsides of being a gifted kid. There is an issue of perfectionism and burnout, pressure from adults that don't treat gifted children as kids and never praise them, just taking their success for granted, issues with getting along with peers etc. It is understandable that some people might not feel particularly blessed about it, especially if for whatever reason this childhood "gift" did not translate into academic or professional success later in life and did nothing but gave the person extra anxiety.
But a lot of posts complaining about being gifted are, indeed, poorly disguised humblebrags, and that is fairly annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: PurpleVoid, Celerity, BornToFail and 2 others