I

ilovemybed

Dec 5, 2022
i went to my first psych visit last december. received medications for a week and the next visit was in early january. but now its been two weeks since i ghosted that date bcs i dont know what to tell to the doctor. what a week of medications can do to affect my decision? i was told it would take two weeks for the medication to kick in. then maybe they shouldve give me a two week prescription and maybe then i will have something to talk about like, how i did confront my parents about my condition or smthing like that.

now im just spiraling into that dayless days and nights and my one week medication already ran out and my eyes teared for no fkin reason. haaahgh

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
Shadowlord900

Shadowlord900

Seeker of Darkness
Sep 29, 2022
Was the doctor from your first psych visit the one to give you the meds? Also was the next appointment booked for a week in advance or longer? (I can't tell from your post sorry.)

If your next appointment was a week after the first one, chances are they were gonna give you next week's medication then too. Depending on what meds they were giving, they may only be allowed to give you 1 weeks worth at a time for security reasons. It wouldn't hurt going to another appointment to ask for more meds if that's what you need.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I get what you're saying and I'm reluctant to trust doctors throwing paych meds around like candy however I think there's possibly a good reason they gave you a week supply and follow up. With psych meds it's known that they can cause you to get worse in the first week or so before it has it's desired positive effects. They probably wanted to check in with you during this period to make sure you're safe and guage whether to switch you to another medication or help you through the initial period of temporary negative effects. This may be what's caused you to feel especially tearful right now. With this in mind I think it's probably a good idea to call in and try to rearrange your follow-up appointment asap. It's fucking horrible to be lost in despair and uncertainty and I feel for you, man! Like I say, I'm not a psych med fan at all but I do think you fucked up a little even though I get your logic. That whole thing of them taking 2 to 4 weeks to work seems like such an illogical suck it and see approach but it does make sense to check in with you after the first week.

Reactions: Regen
D

dogthebenzohunter

Jan 5, 2023
Just go to the appointments. I have been seeing a therapist for a few months now and so far it just makes me feel worse when I leave lol

A

aloneinwinter

Dec 15, 2022
I would say keep going, you seem youngish, it's definitely worth giving more time as some of these treatments work well for people.

clueless2dayor2morro

clueless2dayor2morro

Feb 19, 2021
hey there

i know its not really the same or even on topic w ur thread, but i want to share:

i missed two appointments from two different (potential) therapists and never followed up/called them back for a consultation. i feel like i should but because idk how the billing works or how they'd work and because i'm too afraid to call either of them and ask, i've kind of put them at the bottom of the list of therapists to call.

i know a lot of therapists say that they're there to help, but a lot of therapists also say that they have other patients or potential patients they need to help and that the opportunity to help others could have been filled in with your missed appointment. this is to protect their pocketbooks, of course, and this is all reasonable to say because of the scarcity of time and the amount of people that could be helped (not saying that you aren't worth helping: you are worth helping. even if it seems like the medications aren't helping--which can be worth reporting or talking about; especially with the right people i think; again, i can't confirm because i've only just started taking recovery a lot more seriously than i have in the past).

i just wanted to say, even though i am a hypocrit in saying this because i still haven't followed up either the two i missed because of the reasons i previously listed, but i wouldn't worry too much about missing those appointments. the therapists are, ideally, there for you. they shouldn't be giving you any flack for missing appointments. it might be helpful, if you do a follow up appointment, if you feel the need to tell them, why you missed the appointment. i know its hard to be honest--with strangers who could possibly put you in an institute, but it might also help. again, i want to emphasize i don't really know this for sure. but if it helps you to get to another appointment that might be helpful to you, then i'd maybe do it. but if you don't think it'll be helpful (because you know these people better than i), then it would probably help to just reschedule and not think about what they think.

they're supposed to get paid to not ask questions or give you grief for missing appointments--at least the good ones i think.