S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023
What are your thoughts about repackaging N to get it home by plane? Is there a hard and fast known shelf life once opened?

absolutelyyou

absolutelyyou

peaceful
Jul 26, 2023
Looking at product information for N but under a label for vet use that seems to say once opened you have around a month. Something to note for you if you do try to repackage- it is very flammable and can be absorbed through skin as well so please be cautious. 1704934231156

• Informative
Reactions: mrscat, 0000000000000, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
Repackaging is not recommended if you have to open the rubber seal of the bottle.

There are much easier and cheaper ways to disguise the bottles. They are fairly large (100 ml is the size of a mini cola can for example).

With a decent printer and sticker paper you could probably figure out a new label that suits your needs.

Maybe something local, artisan to treat whatever skin condition you may need treated… or a homemade/farmers market bought hair tonic against hair loss or dry scalp?

Get creative…

• Informative
Reactions: mrscat, 0000000000000, Talvikki and 2 others
S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023
Looking at product information for N but under a label for vet use that seems to say once opened you have around a month. Something to note for you if you do try to repackage- it is very flammable and can be absorbed through skin as well so please be cautious. View attachment 126519
Good information. Thank you.
My next thoughts are about scent. If packed away in checked luggage I wonder?
Repackaging is not recommended if you have to open the rubber seal of the bottle.

There are much easier and cheaper ways to disguise the bottles. They are fairly large (100 ml is the size of a mini cola can for example).

With a decent printer and sticker paper you could probably figure out a new label that suits your needs.

Maybe something local, artisan to treat whatever skin condition you may need treated… or a homemade/farmers market bought hair tonic against hair loss or dry scalp?

Get creative…
your feedback is helpful, thank you. can you elaborate on why its not recommended?

Last edited:
wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
Good information. Thank you.
My next thoughts are about scent. If packed away in checked luggage I wonder?

your feedback is helpful, thank you. can you elaborate on why its not recommended?
If you open the sterile seal (that's the rubber cap) the bottle is considered open and will spoil faster. That's why vets need to use it within 1 month and only draw doses with a sterile needle that is poked through the rubber seal cap, self sealing again.

refilling in a different container is a bad idea unless you want to use it within 1-2 weeks. You will never be able to completely sterilize a new container the way a commercial medical grade bottle is filled.

Think of grandma making jam and if she doesn't boil the jam jars properly and handles them only with tongs the jam will spoil within weeks.

Bacteria and spores are everywhere. Even in the air.
If you open the sterile seal (that's the rubber cap) the bottle is considered open and will spoil faster. That's why vets need to use it within 1 month and only draw doses with a sterile needle that is poked through the rubber seal cap, self sealing again.

refilling in a different container is a bad idea unless you want to use it within 1-2 weeks. You will never be able to completely sterilize a new container the way a commercial medical grade bottle is filled.

Think of grandma making jam and if she doesn't boil the jam jars properly and handles them only with tongs the jam will spoil within weeks.

Re smell:

It has a high alcohol content and will smell like medicine/pure alcohol. It's also rather colourful, so not easy to disguise as drink.

The whole idea of making this stuff neon green (or bright red) is to make sure people don't accidentally drink it.

Reactions: sanctionedcurious85
S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023

thank you for explaining. i understand better now. 1 month drops to 1 week once the rubber seal is gone. this could still be an option then if someone just wants to be in their home country and doesn't need to tuck it away for a rainy day.

wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
thank you for explaining. i understand better now. 1 month drops to 1 week once the rubber seal is gone. this could still be an option then if someone just wants to be in their home country and doesn't need to tuck it away for a rainy day.
Possibly yea, just remember that most people need some time to decide and go back and forth. Overcoming Survival Instinct is a real thing and it can take days/weeks/months.

That's why you don't want to be pressured by an open bottle that spoils soon.

You want to have the ultimate calmness and control in this situation to make the right decision.
Not being pressured by a dumb bottle that otherwise spoils and you may need to make the trip again.

Also: remember how many airlines won't let you take water bottles on board?
I doubt they'll let you take anything on board that hasn't been originally sealed…

• Informative
Reactions: mrscat, numbspirit, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023
Possibly yea, just remember that most people need some time to decide and go back and forth. Overcoming Survival Instinct is a real thing and it can take days/weeks/months.

That's why you don't want to be pressured by an open bottle that spoils soon.

You want to have the ultimate calmness and control in this situation to make the right decision.
Not being pressured by a dumb bottle that otherwise spoils and you may need to make the trip again.

I doubt they'll let you take anything on board that hasn't been originally sealed…
right. this way isn't for everyone. i appreciate your input.

F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023

Get creative…
Genius

D

Dark S Tower

Sep 13, 2022
My guess - and it's just a guess - is that "they" are not looking for this. They're looking for other things. Mostly illegal drugs (narcotics), also various things like plants, soil, products containing plant or animal products that are considered risks of spreading non-native stuff. I have no idea what kind of containers this stuff comes in (probably a variety of shapes and sizes).

Thinking about this a bit more...who exactly should one be worried about? And how exactly is it transported - in checked baggage or carry-on?

I've traveled internationally more than a little. When departing, I don't think my checked bags are getting xrayed at all (no way to really know). My carry-on bags definitely are, and because I carry stuff that looks suspicious (electronics, mostly) I often get secondary (hand) inspection of my carry-ons, so I can easily imagine some TSA-equivalent airport security staff getting a look at the contents of my bag. But they're not looking for suicide snacks, they're looking for guns and explosives. Still, I don't think I want to have them eyeballing 6 containers of agricultural products with labels in a foreign language. So checked bags seem less likely to draw attention at the departure airport.

At the arrival airport, in my experience (looking like a typical tourist), I usually get very little scrutiny, and I'm usually waved right through after answering the standard questions. Hmmm...

Reactions: sanctionedcurious85, Praestat_Mori and wljourney
M

MrShino

Student
Jul 8, 2021
How did D do it? I can't remember seeing many instances where the postages he sent was taken by customs.

wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
I wonder if the bottle size and shape is flagged as something to look at more closely
Naw, there are tons of fairly similar tincture bottles available from Amazon and small homemade brands use them to sell homemade plant based cosmetics.

Just google annd compare pictures of similar sized glass bottles. 75-125 ml.

If your product looks like an artisan item that you are bringing home for your girlfriend/mom…
How did D do it? I can't remember seeing many instances where the postages he sent was taken by customs.

This is not what D used but similar idea…

Baja Basics, Rose Water Spray 100% Pure, Natural Toner - Large 4oz https://a.co/d/5SKRRbO

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
If customs at your destination suspects sth, they will check you and everything whether you re-labeled your product or not. Their focus on travelers from those countries is on drugs not on N. Another thing is, if you re-labeled the product they could accuse you to have done that willingly to hide the true nature of the substance. I think for "normal" looking travelers chances are low to be checked at customs.

However a risk remains, no doubt.

Reactions: 0000000000000, wljourney and sanctionedcurious85
D

Dark S Tower

Sep 13, 2022
Agree.

Then the question is...what is the penalty for possession? It's a sincere question, I do not know. How is it classified, compared to other more well-known things that people might smuggle in (or simply "fail to declare" at customs....)?

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Agree.

Then the question is...what is the penalty for possession? It's a sincere question, I do not know. How is it classified, compared to other more well-known things that people might smuggle in (or simply "fail to declare" at customs....)?
I think this depends on the country you live in / enter and can't answered here.

When departing, I don't think my checked bags are getting xrayed at all (no way to really know).
I can tell you, they are X-rayed! Maybe not every small airport has the technique, but many years ago I had an uninterruptable power supply and a graphics card (with fans on it!) in my checked in bag. For security reasons, my bag was opened, marked and contained a protocol what has been done to it at the departure airport. Ofc nothing has been removed bc everything was legal and not dangerous.

But checked bags are X-rayed and maybe nowadays with developing AI technology it's even easier.

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000
I

ilaya

Dec 31, 2023
What country do you plan to go to? I want to go this week...
is there a way to remove the packaging from the bottle?

S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023
What country do you plan to go to? I want to go this week...
is there a way to remove the packaging from the bottle?
the best information on how to is probably shared knowledge among EI members

Alessa

Alessa

Experienced
Nov 4, 2019

Thank you to all for the answers!
I thought a lot about taking it with me in my hand luggage, since my option would contain 50 ml only. If I could manage to make it look like a soap bottle, do you think it would get checked or opened? I would also change the label and adjust a soap applicator on it. Do you think its safer to take it in hand-luggage than inchecked baggage claim?

My guess - and it's just a guess - is that "they" are not looking for this. They're looking for other things. Mostly illegal drugs (narcotics), also various things like plants, soil, products containing plant or animal products that are considered risks of spreading non-native stuff. I have no idea what kind of containers this stuff comes in (probably a variety of shapes and sizes).

Thinking about this a bit more...who exactly should one be worried about? And how exactly is it transported - in checked baggage or carry-on?

I've traveled internationally more than a little. When departing, I don't think my checked bags are getting xrayed at all (no way to really know). My carry-on bags definitely are, and because I carry stuff that looks suspicious (electronics, mostly) I often get secondary (hand) inspection of my carry-ons, so I can easily imagine some TSA-equivalent airport security staff getting a look at the contents of my bag. But they're not looking for suicide snacks, they're looking for guns and explosives. Still, I don't think I want to have them eyeballing 6 containers of agricultural products with labels in a foreign language. So checked bags seem less likely to draw attention at the departure airport.

At the arrival airport, in my experience (looking like a typical tourist), I usually get very little scrutiny, and I'm usually waved right through after answering the standard questions. Hmmm...

Thank you so much for letting us know. Same question to you: If I could manage to make it look like a soap bottle, do you think it would get checked or opened? I would also change the label and adjust a soap applicator on it. Do you think its safer to take it in hand-luggage than inchecked baggage claim?

S

sanctionedcurious85

Dec 26, 2023
I thought a lot about taking it with me in my hand luggage, since my option would contain 50 ml only. If I could manage to make it look like a soap bottle, do you think it would get checked or opened? I would also change the label and adjust a soap applicator on it. Do you think its safer to take it in hand-luggage than inchecked baggage claim?

Thank you so much for letting us know. Same question to you: If I could manage to make it look like a soap bottle, do you think it would get checked or opened? I would also change the label and adjust a soap applicator on it. Do you think its safer to take it in hand-luggage than inchecked baggage claim?
Do you need 2 bottles of 50ml?

D

Dark S Tower

Sep 13, 2022
I would definitely NOT say it would be "safe" to do any of these things. We are all just guessing (at least I am only guessing) and I really do not know. I have flown internationally a fair bit and usually I get no scrutiny (at least it appears that way to me) but then again, I never have had anything prohibited with me...so of course, getting through when you've got nothing to worry about is easy.

Please don't take chances trying to smuggle things internationally, unless you really know what you're doing. If things go sideways, getting arrested for smuggling controlled substances is not going to improve things for you (imagine facing prison time on top of all your current troubles...). Seems awfully risky to me.

Reactions: VidFlumina and sanctionedcurious85
W

withouthope

Jun 25, 2023
Naw, there are tons of fairly similar tincture bottles available from Amazon and small homemade brands use them to sell homemade plant based cosmetics.

Just google annd compare pictures of similar sized glass bottles. 75-125 ml.

If your product looks like an artisan item that you are bringing home for your girlfriend/mom…

This is not what D used but similar idea…

Baja Basics, Rose Water Spray 100% Pure, Natural Toner - Large 4oz https://a.co/d/5SKRRbO
Do you know if D used a full label, including the back part with all the ingredients, etc? Would be much easier to create just the front part. But that may raise suspicions if they were to open the package.

I know someone who left Colombia twice with one 50 ml bottle of Euthanex. And also flew through a bunch of other countries with it. He just removed the label and put it in his toiletry bag in his carry on. He was never questioned about it. This was fair recently.

Last edited: