200_ponies

200_ponies

Apr 8, 2019
Hi everyone.

After many delays, I finally got approved for my FOID card (Illinois residents have to have this card to legally obtain a firearm) and I'm ridiculously excited. I never thought they would approve me but they have. Now I'm one step closer to ctbing.

However, I live with a kind of crazy roommate who constantly goes through the mail and opens it all before I can ever get to it. She's super anal about it, and I can't have the card shipped to my PO box instead so it has to come to my home address.

Normally it'd be fine if she saw I have a FOID card, but she found out that I'm actively suicidal and she would immediately connect the dots and hide the card from me. In addition, in Illinois you can legally get a court order to take the FOID card away from people who are suicidal and then have them locked up.

So does anyone have any ideas of how I can get to the card first? My current plan is to obviously get to the mail earlier, but sometimes she's home when I'm not and the mail might come when it's just her there. Alternatively, is there any reasonable way to explain the FOID card so that she won't think it's to ctb with?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, guys.

TL;DR: My roommate might find and take my firearm owner's card from me before I can get to it. How can I get it first without her being suspicious?

dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
Hide the key to the mailbox for a few days, if there is one, then conveniently rediscover it later?

Reactions: 200_ponies
AnnaJaspers

AnnaJaspers

Experienced
Jul 2, 2019
First of all, it is a federal offense to open mail addressed to someone else. Who the hell does your roommate think she is?

If she knows you are actively suicidal, I'm afraid there is zero, reasonable explanation for the FOID card.

I'd have a nice chat with her and explain that you value your privacy, that it is against the law to open mail, and you want her to stop this ridiculous behavior.

Reactions: TAW122, 200_ponies and Rn110bg101
200_ponies

200_ponies

Apr 8, 2019
Thanks so much for the quick replies.

"Losing" the mailbox key is a great idea! There's a range of about 14 days when the card could come in the mail, so I'll have to be careful about when I lose it though. Thanks for the suggestion!

And yes, I'm aware that's completely illegal of her to do. We've been friends for 9 years and decided to split a place after college, which I've been increasingly regretting. I've tried to talk to her about it before but she doesn't see the issue. It's usually fine(ish) since I mail everything to my PO box anyway.

Although if I can get the FOID card, I won't need to search for a new roommate since I'll ctb shortly after. The good news is I've been able to get to the mail before her both today and yesterday, so I hope I can keep it up. I'm fucked if I can't though.

200_ponies

200_ponies

Apr 8, 2019
Update: I got the card in the mail today! I hid the mailbox key and got to it first. Thank you guys so much for the help. I'm so goddamn relieved!

/thread

Reactions: AnnaJaspers, dark_thoughts and dreamsofdestruction
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I was about to give some advice, but then I realized that you had succeeded in getting your FOID card! This is great and now just secretly obtain your firearm and make sure to never allow your roommate to know about it. As for a CTB'ing location, I would go to a secluded place, far away from where you live or where others are at. This will increase your chances of success and not being rescued until it's too late. However, if you are concerned about your body decomposing for a long time before it's found, then you could send delayed emails or text messages to LE before you CTB. The purpose of delayed communications is that it allows you to back out if you aren't able to follow through and it also buys you time to complete the attempt without interruption or interference.