• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

N

nopoint

Jul 5, 2018
Should I get a dog even if I have severe depression?
I have always wanted a dog. Not having a dog is the only thing I would regret if I die, so I applied for a puppy 7 months ago.
Finally, I have been contacted by my breeder that I would be able to take a puppy home beginning of July, but I'm having second thoughts.
Dogs can live up to 15 years. I don't even know if I can last a year.
Is it a bad idea to go for it?
I guess I know the logical answer already, but I want to hear it from someone...

Reactions: Worthless_nobody and ShadowOfTheDay
ShadowOfTheDay

ShadowOfTheDay

Hungry Ghost
Feb 14, 2019
Why not adopt an elderly dog from a pet rescue facility? In my experience, they are oftentimes better companions, since they are more reliant upon you in many ways. Also, you wouldn't need to be quite as concerned about them living too long. More importantly, though, older dogs, and those with disabilities are just as dependent upon human companionship as puppies.

I would definitely recommend getting one, if you are able to take care of it. What's the worst that could happen? If you decide to ctb, you could just return the dog to the pet rescue.

... Oh, and yes--pets are a very effective means of treating depression. Far more effective than medication, in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopoint and Worthless_nobody
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Dogs are wonderful companions. My dog was my best friend she lived 16 years and just recently passed. I do have another dog and he definitely helps to get me up and going and is always a constant companion (he is one of the reasons I'm still here). For me personally a calm dog is a must and I can definitely say it has helped my depression thru the years ( not cured though sadly) I agree with what the user said above. Adopting an older dog from a shelter or rescue is wonderful and there are so many that need loving homes. Plus older ones are not as hyper and (for me personally) a very hyper needy dog would possibly make things very stressful (unless of course you want a hyper and very active dog). Either way as long as you feel up to caring for a dog they are absolutely great fun companions my dog always calmed my anxiety (cats are great too!). I worry what will happen to my dog if I decide I am going to ctb in near future but I have family who will care for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopoint
bigj75

bigj75

“From Knowledge springs power."
Sep 1, 2018
depends on how severe the depression is. if it's too severe to where it's causeing problems for the dog i wouldn't do it.

im the same way with a girlfriend. I'm way too depressed to be getting into a relationship. i know in the long run I'll just end up hurting her because I'll ctb. then she would have to deal with that. Better to just keep emotions out of it and for me to live alone until i die alone. i wouldnt mind volunteering at a animal shelter though. that way you can visit various animals and not have to worry about them really being effected by your death.

Reactions: AutumnEmbers and SelfHatingAspie
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
I'd say go for a dog + anti depressants. A dog alone, wont probably do much... Cats are awesome as well. You shouldn't ignore them. Oh and if your life is shit, you will have to do something about that because sooner or later, the anti depressants will wear off etc...

Last edited: