Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.6%

• Total voters
cutejellybean

cutejellybean

My CTB date is June 20, 2023
Apr 13, 2023
I was looking at statistics on suicide, and it says that men commit suicide at a three times rate in my country, which surprised me. This got me curious as to what gender people here are? I'm a biological woman (I think that's the term)

Reactions: norwegianbuttercris
loopystarvedartsist

loopystarvedartsist

trying to live
Apr 17, 2023
I was looking at statistics on suicide, and it says that men commit suicide at a three times rate in my country, which surprised me. This got me curious as to what gender people here are? I'm a biological woman (I think that's the term)
what i heard is that women attempt more but men succeed more. women have a tendency to avoid violent death as to not traumatize or burden people. they tend to use pills. while men often choose guns— or more violent means of suicide. which brings up the mortality rate. hope this information helps a bit :)

Reactions: borderline-feline, Hihihehehuhu, Octavia and 2 others
SpiderLink

SpiderLink

they/them
Apr 3, 2023
I'm non binary

Reactions: cutejellybean
Kodokushi

Kodokushi

Falling...into the abyss...
Apr 19, 2023
To add on loopystarvedartist's comment women are also treated fine while expressing emotion, no matter what kind it is, and men usually shelter themselves. That's why it may seem there are more female voices out there, when in reality the amount of people struggling is around or somewhat equal

This is also why (I think) the success rates for men are higher, society will see them as "weak" if they "won't go through with it", while for women it's a bit more forgiving, again, due to stereotypes the society has set for genders

Reactions: fxndi, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, kovu and 2 others
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Biological man (that wishes they were biological female). I am unsure why there are 3x more Male suicides than female, or any other kind. Possibly because the men that did CTB feel as though that life was extremely shit for their sex? I guess when society pushes you to not show emotion or weakness, this is what happens. Or maybe being a male just plain sucks. Hard to say the specific motivators.

ArchmagePrincess

ArchmagePrincess

Magical Princess of Death
Aug 31, 2022
Biological man (that wishes they were biological female). I am unsure why there are 3x more Male suicides than female, or any other kind. Possibly because the men that did CTB feel as though that life was extremely shit for their sex? I guess when society pushes you to not show emotion or weakness, this is what happens. Or maybe being a male just plain sucks. Hard to say the specific motivators.
Don't remember where I heard it, but I heard men and women attempt to CTB around the same amount but men are more likely to use higher lethality methods like guns compared to women who are more likely to use things like overdoses which many survive from.

awen

awen

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2023
I always thought that generally, women lived their emotions more intensely compared to men. And I thought that the statistics for men would be much less.
This year I learned about how men repress their emotions because of the pressure of society. It's weird how even a small thing like crying is seen more as a girl's trait by our society. I met with many guys that explained how many years it has been since they last cried.
This is just sad.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm biological female.
And by the way I'm pretty sure that just because there are suicide statistics doesn't mean that they reflect reality, to suggest that men suffer more and are more likely to be suicidal is completely false, existing in this hellish world where we are destined to suffer is a terrible thing no matter the gender, in fact when it comes to suicide gender is completely insignificant.

H

HerculePoirot

(Frozen account)
Sep 25, 2022
Please clarify:
Trans woman = originally female now male? (or wanting to)
Trans man = originally male now female? (or wanting to)
Or the opposite?

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Please clarify:
Trans woman = originally female now male? (or wanting to)
Trans man = originally male now female? (or wanting to)
Or the opposite?
Trans women = male at birth but wanting to or transitioning into female.
Trans man = female at birth but wanting to or transitioning into male.

Reactions: Peerless_Cucumber
GasMonkey

GasMonkey

Nitrogen Master Race
May 15, 2022
  • Wow
Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy, Mortadelo, yive and 2 others
Starry✧・゚Daze

Starry✧・゚Daze

Aug 3, 2023
what i heard is that women attempt more but men succeed more. women have a tendency to avoid violent death as to not traumatize or burden people. they tend to use pills. while men often choose guns— or more violent means of suicide. which brings up the mortality rate. hope this information helps a bit :)

This.

I've recently read something about that topic:

Women also are even more likely than men to attempt suicide. In the US for example, adult women in the US reported a suicide attempt 1.2 times as often as men. But male suicide methods are often more violent, making them more likely to be completed before anyone can intervene.

However, I believe that pain and misery are something that any gender can experience and are not related to it.
Most studies don't include other genders apart from male and female, which makes it even harder to protocol human suffering. Imo it's an impossible task, but important to spread awareness nonetheless.

EDIT: Damn, didn't see how old this post is. Sorry, I'm still getting used to posting in a forum.