Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
ok so i have some bonsai trees (4 to be exact) one isnt growing at all and the sprouts i have on 2 of them are dying. starting at the base they are shriveling up. i believe i am over watering them. i also believe i am over watering them because one of the sprouts died due to like a bluish chalky rot which i think is another sign. but the kit i bought came with these soil disks that i think might be the problem. see if i dont water them it gets REALLY dried out so ive been adding a little bit of extra water to compensate for that where i can only water them at most 2 times a day because they are in a different location then me. is there anything i can do? i know you can get these glass balls that slowly release the water and you fill them up every few days but im scared of damaging the roots if i put one in. maybe i can get mini ones or make my own?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I know nothing about bonsai, but they are just little trees, so I'll give it a go...

Different plants like different light conditions. Some like shade, some partial shade, some full sun. Some aren't fussy.

However, I think you are on the right track with the soil conditions, Different plants like different soils: moist or free draining, acid or alkali, sandy/sparse or rich and humic. To be certain, you need to know what species the plants are and look them up online.

I'd guess that most trees (even little ones) like a woodland soil. This would be loamy, so equal parts sand, silt and clay plus a decent amount of humic matter, ie. decayed leaf mould. Think, a nice, dark friable woodland soil.
I expect that over-watering and drainage may also be the problem, as you have suggested. Many woodland plants like a moist but free draining soil. Yes, I know, this sounds contradictory, but it's not. It means the plants don't like to fully dry out between watering, but they don't like their roots sitting in wet compost, as it causes root rot.
To combat this, you have to ensure that the pot they are in has plenty of drainage holes (if it's inside, you'll need a pot base/dish too).
Then, and this is important, you need to make sure the pot has lots of drainage at it's base. This could be something like gravel, pea-grit or even coarse bark chips; anything that allows the water from the soil to drain away freely. I've lost count of the half dead plants I've salvaged from back alleys in pots with no drainage holes or no drainage material, just basic used up compost.
The other thing that is useful is feeding the plant/tree every now and again to replenish the nutrients in the potting mix. You can buy the appropriate feed or make your own from seaweed or comfrey. For my inside plants I use dried out banana peel as it is rich in nitrogen.

But really, the first step is identifying your plant's needs online then go from there. I'd hate to give you advice on what to do without knowing the tree's requirements.

• Love
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
if it helps this is what im working with.

i did read that bonsai trees need a certain type of soil but because it came in a kit i just figured that soil would be fine. i probably should have went with my gut and bought my own. the 2 bags i got for 2/$1.25 (they are just small bags but still cheap) seems to be of more help then the stuff they sent me :meh:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Web search on the jacaranda

So well drained, slightly sand and acidic soil. Full sun and water when the top has dried out.

NB: crushed pine needles will rot down into a mulch and ad acidity to the soil if required.

Sounds like you could have mushroom rot maybe?

Again, just guessing based on a quick search, you'll need to research each species and it's requirements then duplicate them. Personally, I find this the most enjoyable part; it gives me a relationship with the plant rather than just sticking it in apot and ignoring it.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
thats exactly the one that hasnt started growing yet

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
How about this one, seems to need an ericaceous, sparse dry soil:

NB. the seeds will also need the right growing conditions.

And this one is a soil based potting mix:

while this one likes moist, acidic, well drained soil

So you do appear to have some different growing conditions there, from a quick web search. Makes me wonder WTF those discs they included were.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I experiment and I research then tweak things. I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but certain patterns become evident and you get a feel for it eventually. I'm currently figuring out how do try and keep all the annuals that I've scavenged alive over the winter.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I experiment and I research then tweak things. I really haven't got a clue what I'm doing, but certain patterns become evident and you get a feel for it eventually. I'm currently figuring out how do try and keep all the annuals that I've scavenged alive over the winter.
Read them a bedtime story? A really really long one lol.

I thought I'd give you an update. I messaged the seller and I'm going to see how that goes. Idk if you what to know the outcome but if you do just let me know. I don't want to bother you with something you aren't interested in

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Read them a bedtime story? A really really long one lol.

I thought I'd give you an update. I messaged the seller and I'm going to see how that goes. Idk if you what to know the outcome but if you do just let me know. I don't want to bother you with something you aren't interested in
No sure, keep me posted!
And try and keep them alive.
My motto is: plants that are half dead are also half alive.
I'm almost certain you can get them back.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
@Underscore they emailed me back saying that they will send me a new kit

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
Cool, that was nice of them. Small victories ftw!
"We are very sorry, our Bonsai kit in our warehouse is already out of stock so we cannot process a replacement. We will process a full refund to your order so you can re-order from Amazon."

which is fine...i guess.....i do have some growing and i can use the extra $30 with christmas coming up. if the last few fail badly enough i can always save the pots and try again in the future some time