TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I thought I would write a post about this, but apparently I already did, exactly 13 months ago.

Screenshot 20211015 001138 Vivaldi

I really can't play in moderation. I don't know if it's a natural flaw of mine or do I just hate my real life that much – probably both. WoW is especially addicting, since there's always so much to do. Even smoking is easier for me to stay away from.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_, demuic, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 2 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I try to take one day at a time and I think that's probably a good idea for depressed people. So if it makes you happy, why quit? We're not guaranteed anything beyond what we can immediately put into practice so hell if Wow makes your day better, go for it. I would think most if not all of us have bad habits and as far as those go, I would say Wow is among the tamest of vices.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, WrongPlaceWrongTime, BrokenHopes and 2 others
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
I started gaming 38 years ago. This is something I understand well. It snuck up on me over decades but looking back I can say that my gaming addiction was a huge contributor to all my problems. I'm exactly like you, I can't play in moderation. I got nearly straight As in college my first year and almost flunked out by my third because of it. Took a year off, quit cold turkey, went back and was back to my old grades. It wasn't WoW, but it doesn't matter, it's the same. Many games these days, especially those like WoW that profit from increased player engagement time, are carefully designed to be addictive by selectively activating the dopamine reward centers in the brain, and for people like us it is a major problem.

Either it's nothing or it's 8 hours a day (while also working) or 12-16 hours a day (not working). I've called in sick and even no showed at work once because of it. The last time I went cold turkey I started sleeping better, I ate healthier, started a running regimen and going to the gym, lost 60 pounds, started doing much better at work and started a new relationship. After I got sucked back in, my relationships at work and with my ex became so strained that I eventually lost everything because I couldn't bear how hostile she had become even though she had no idea I was gaming (I wasn't fun to be around either).

I think people who focus on violence and the content of games have it completely wrong. The real negative impact is in the isolation (interaction in games is great but it isn't a real relationship and doesn't carry the associated benefits), lack of sleep, lack of exercise, lack of socialization, and what all of that does to your brain over time. Sleep deprivation in particular has a high correlation with depression and I personally believe after what I've experienced that it may even be causative when it becomes chronic. It's all a perfect recipe for creating and worsening depression into a nightmare beast like the one I have now.

People who can moderate their behavior don't understand what it's like to be that addicted. What's really insidious is that from day to day you can't always even tell how much of an impact is has on you. Only looking back over years and decades I can say that it definitely changed the course of my life for the worse, and while I sympathize with the intent of the idea "what's the harm" for people like us it is actually quite devastating.

One of the things I found difficult about quitting was that suddenly I just had so much TIME. I didn't even know how to fill all the hours and that's eventually what dragged me back in. I wish I could have just learned to play the violin or something, but after I lost it all I went right back to it. The dopamine rush from playing numbs all the pain but it also ensures that I will never recover.

If I was better socially and didn't have that struggle in my life I think I would have successfully quit and stayed away because real life would be so much better that way, but I couldn't do it. The longer you wait to quit the harder it becomes because you no longer have the social experience that your peers do, and so you become more and more alienated socially. One day you wake up and you're 35 and you've never been on a serious date, and at that point course correcting becomes a much bigger challenge.

If you want to give it up my advice is to do cardio every day, stop eating junk and substitute as many vegetables as possible, force yourself to be social and try really hard to cultivate enough hobbies to fill your day. It's so fucking hard at first but after about a month it becomes easier when you realize how much better you feel. It's much harder to quit than to stay away, at least it was for me.

I relapsed so hard after my losses that I don't personally have the will to do it anymore but maybe you will. Also if you're indoors all the time, you might consider having your doc check your vitamin D at your next physical. I have a chronic deficiency because I spend so much time indoors, and recent research has shown that vitamin D deficiency may be correlated with depression. When I was in recovery I took both D and omega 3s, both which are supported by research indicating deficiencies contribute to depression, and really noticed a difference.

Good luck either way, I wouldn't wish my life on anyone. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful to you.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, TheSoulless, Ironweed and 1 other person
TheCrypt

TheCrypt

Nov 2, 2020
I wouldn't quit. Maybe take more breaks while playing then going outside for 30min and then play again. I'm addicted to video games since my child hood the only thing that made my childhood somewhat fun. I played Minecraft in my childhood then I got into csgo but quit and played League of Legends for 3 years and then quit to play csgo again now I only play League again for like 2 years now. I did took once a huge break from gaming at all. I was too depressed to get out of bed and then nothing was fun I did go to a mental hospital that's where I started to take drugs even if I told myself to never do that. After that time I quit drugs going back to the PC addiction. Due to covid I wasn't able to go in clubs or meet my friends I got from the mental hospital. The last year I tried the hardest ever to recover did get back in the everyday life and did move together with my girlfriend but I did often go to the doctor lately to stay home to play video games again. Today I don't think I would survive without playing league my girlfriend did cut herself again and I noticed that today she don't wants to talk about it we just played one game and she did go to bed and since then I was playing 5 hours straight in the night and I can't really sleep. I think playing games can both help but also destroy everything it is an addiction after all.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, TheSoulless and Midgardsorm
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
I recently were thinking about my life and how everything went so bad. Where have I messed up so much in my life.
I tried to blame my gaming addiction for it, but the reality is that I was never actually "Addicted" rather than had nothing better to do. Gaming were very good and do other things would just make me bored.

It's an addiction, it's true. If not controlled, it can and will destroy your life.
But it's different than, let's say, a drug addiction. You're doing this for a reason. If you turn off your game and do something else that you don't like it, then it's never gonna work.
To moderate your playing time, first you need to find something else that you love just as much as playing.

Obligations such as a job does that well. But you're just stopping because you need, not because you want.

Well the advice I can give is: Whenever you're not playing. Try to look for things that you like. Something that you want to do.

One note is: Gaming is not bad. Especially today that we learn a lot from games. But it's still light-years away from being a good habit when you can achieve a lot of things from it and actually make a living with it ( Unless you become Pro-player, Streamer, YouTuber but that's another story and even then it wouldn't be just playing )

Reactions: demuic and TheSoulless
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
For me, I don't see it as an addiction. I have nothing better to do, and very little else causes me to gain any type of enjoyment or pleasure without also bringing some kind of imminently painful drawback. I have been alone for the majority of my life and video games have provided me with entertainment and amusement that I could not find elsewhere.

Video games are not my problem. I would find something else to do all the time to the detriment of taking care of other needs, like read, but rarely do people talk about a reading addiction. Video games are a scapegoat a lot of the time. For some people they are really detrimental, but that can be said of almost anything you can get addicted to. And it is possible to get addicted to almost anything. Some things are more socially acceptable than others.

If it something that is causing you distress and that you want to change, then I think it's fair to start trying to quit.

• Love
Reactions: Panna, patheticpartner, ven and 1 other person
brutalus

brutalus

Student
Jun 14, 2021
hello, i also play all day sometimes. i like to do coke and insult other people in multiplayer games. it is an addiction. but i am am thankful to my addictions, they protect me from the evils of reality.