Gamestop is likely going to go under, how do you feel?

• S

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No feeling.

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/29/gamestop-earnings-q3-2018.html

GameStop shares plunged 12 percent postmarket Thursday after the company slashed its full-year earnings forecast.

The gaming retailer slashed its full-year outlook, saying it now expects adjusted earnings per share between $2.55 and $2.75. That range is well below GameStop's previous guidance for adjusted 2018 earnings between $3 a share and $3.35 a share. GameStop's new forecast also falls below analyst expectations. Wall Street had projected full-year earnings of $3.04 per share, according to a Refinitiv consensus estimate.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4229199-music-stop-gamestop

With poor outlook, GameStop (NYSE:GME) is destined to repeat the fate of traditional retailers that slowly go out of business due to online competition. Soft guidance for what used to be the strongest quarter of the year suggests that the company's best days are long gone. As gaming publishers embrace the digital world, the future looks bleak for GameStop and it is only a matter of time until it goes out of business.

In Q3, despite increasing its sales by 4.8% Y/Y to $2.084 billion, the company reported net loss of $488.6 million. There's still demand for hardware and physical disks, as GameStop reported an increase in sales for hardware and software by 12.8% Y/Y to $349 million and 10.9% Y/Y to $720.7 million, respectively. However, in the long run both of those categories will be disrupted by companies like Sony (NYSE:SNE) and Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), which will leave no room for GameStop to grow.

Bruh, they've lost $500 million in Q3.

First of all, if anyone here knows me, they know I play vidya. They also know I HATE Gamestop, EA, Activision, Bethesda, and Ubisoft. So when I see Gamestop limping and failing, I want to give people high fives, and press S to spit on Gamestops soon to be grave.

How you feel about Gamestop? When it the last time you went to a GameStop? What are your experiences with Gamestop? Will you continue to shop there while it is open?

You may leave a capital S at the end of your reply to 'Spit on its upcoming grave.'

Please leave one or two sentences and contribute quality posts here.

S

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Tragoedia Vitae, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
S. I feel for all the employees who has ever worked at a Gamestop. It's not their fault that the corporate business model makes them the enemy in front of customers, while the big wigs up top don't have to deal with that. It's time Gamestop becomes Blockbuster and shut down.

Steam is heading in that direction as well with their business model. Epic Games said hold my beer and got their own frontend service to sell products in a predatory way. Only company I see doing good is GOG and their services.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Less competition = bad for consumers.

Reactions: Hunter and Deafsn0w
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Who here remembers EB Games, Babbages, and Funcoland?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lefty, Deafsn0w and 3 others
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
Less competition = bad for consumers.

No doubt. It is bad. But, watching the corpse of this beast struggle after it ripped me off as much as it did feels good. For their years of bad practices, this is karma.

S

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, iHeartRockArt, Deafsn0w and 1 other person
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
No doubt. It is bad. But, watching the corpse of this beast struggle after it ripped me off as much as it did feels good. For their years of bad practices, this is karma.

S

Yeah, they are run by douchebags.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, wiIIow and Threads
M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
As an avid video gamer, I don't like to see Gaming outlets going under. I like getting hard copies of my games, I'm not into downloading them.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Norest4thewicked, Lefty and 3 others
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
As an avid video gamer, I don't like to see Gaming outlets going under. I like getting hard copies of my games, I'm not into downloading them.

Old skool gamer I see.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Deafsn0w and MsM3talGamer
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Not that old skool but starting with a PS2 console. :P

I still got a lot of PS2 games, but no more PS2 console. Had to toss that when I got married, but I told my wife that the games themselves still have value.

M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
I still got a lot of PS2 games, but no more PS2 console. Had to toss that when I got married, but I told my wife that the games themselves still have value.
I've moved on from my PS2 days and got rid of the games. Onto PS4 now.

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I don't really care, I guess it's just symptomatic of all the economic problems surrounding brick and mortar retailers these days. They're pretty much all destined to go under eventually, except maybe Walmart. I download all my games from Gog and Steam so it doesn't affect me either way.

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Noice. I've refused to go to Gamestop for several years now, can't stand the way their business is run.

The last time I ever went there was before we had any secondhand game shops in town, and I was desperate for cash so I ran on over to Gamestop to sell my PS2 and upwards of 20 games. This was ~7 years ago and they offered me a ridiculously low amount of money for all that crap. Like 9 bucks or something? Naaahhhh

Ive also had a couple friends who worked there in the past, and I heard some pretty unsavory things about how things operate

S

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Tragoedia Vitae, Threads and 1 other person
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Not that old skool but starting with a PS2 console. :P

I've been gaming since before the NES. I'm getting old. I remember when you had to go to the arcades at the mall to play the good games. LOL And that shit sucked because you kept having to put in money...

Reactions: wxtyubidi7y, MsM3talGamer and wiIIow
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
I've been gaming since the NES Days. I've shopped at Gamestop here and there, but trading in games or selling them for cash isn't worth it at gamestop, very shitty deals. However if they have a decent or sometimes good sale on a game, I might buy it. They at least still sell physical copies. I'd rather have physical over digital. However, it won't be too much of a shame to see them go, they could have changed their businesses practices, but they didn't. On another side note, the Gamestops at where I'm at aren't too bad.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Tragoedia Vitae, MsM3talGamer and 1 other person
AveryConure

AveryConure

Some idiot
May 11, 2018
That guy who trashed the store not getting his money back for refunding Fallout 76 was the final nail in the coffin.

Reactions: sif and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals