poppeye

poppeye

Dec 10, 2019
I just can't mask my depression anymore with games, it's become more of a chore then anything anyone feel the same way?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, The end !, Mentalmick and 11 others
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Yeah games are exhausting sometimes.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, The end !, Fehler and 3 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, same here. I'm only playing Clash Royale but I don't enjoy it anymore. It's like some kind of obligation. Just that.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, death137, botanormal and 2 others
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Was never a gamer, but was a big Netflix fan, now I don't care about it either.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, botanormal, stygal and 1 other person
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
I mean I got a new system and I was absolutely blown away by it.
Other than that, games are getting repetitive and watered down, my serotonin going fast.

I'm not sure if this can help but, playing with friends makes games SO much better.
My friend and I fly together in fighter formations and mess around in games and I feel so happy being able to play with him.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The end !, botanormal, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I like the sense of progress in videogames. Making a game character I'm temporarily identify with a better version of what it was before. Higher level, power-ups, stat increases, better gear, better this, better that. It's just all those pluses don't really translate into a RL equivalent of a character I'm forced to be, other than a few really thoughtful and well-written games like KotOR 2.

Games were for the most part an outlet for unfulfilled desires. Sort of like Harry Potter, a loser coming from a family where everyone shits on him, becomes the greatest magician of his time. Or a story about this badass guy who gets out a winner out of every predicament, beats the shit out of everyone who dares to stand on his path, gets a hot girl, etc.. Extremely popular. Or a love story about this girl finding that pretty, caring and compassionate guy and whatever the love story films are filled with. I'm not paying much attention to them.

Also popular. If the isn't a department in video game industry that seeks out human weaknesses, unfulfilled desires to exploit, then there better be one because there is profit to be made.

I'm not sure if this can help but, playing with friends makes games SO much better.
Agree. SO much better that O deserves to be capital. Discussing the game process, talking about related trivia, playing co-op, doing tactics. There is something about playing with a friend that makes the experience more than 2x better. I really liked Left 4 Dead, for example.

• Love
Reactions: The end !, Kat!, botanormal and 1 other person
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Had this problem too lately. Used to play so much but now I have to really force myself to play at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: botanormal
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Yes, I loved strategy games where you would build up whole worlds as a kid and later as a teen I spend hours in elder scrolls ...but somehow it got to repetitive at some point - basically the feeling of "seen it all, done it all"
I have that with all my hobbies nowadays.
Sometimes I read books or watch shows that are very surprising or new or have twisted stories/endings to keep me interested but other than that: nothing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, The end !, Barracuda91 and 3 others
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'm not much of a gamer but the games I do like are ones that 1) give a lot of freedom, 2) have immersive writing, and 3) leave some things to the imagination. Yeah, games that have all of that are few and far between, but I'm glad that I can enjoy them once I find them. Caves of Qud is a comfy one.

• Love
Reactions: The end !
Fehler

Fehler

Oct 12, 2020
I feel the same...and it bothers me. Before, I could disconnect playing online or in solo mode but for about 3 years I have been losing interest and desire to play. I keep doing it a little every day, sometimes I am lucky and some of my friends coincide and we play 3 or 4 hours, but normally it is max 1 hour a day or nothing.
Sometimes I am 3 days in a row playing a game but then I leave it abandoned again.

• Love
Reactions: demuic and The end !
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I'm the same, I just can't enjoy games anymore. Used to play them religiously since the seventies. Doesn't stop me buying them however. I even got a ps5 at launch and I only use it for watching dvds and blu rays.

• Love
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Same here to some degree. Can't play the games I used to, mostly as they're just too stressful.

I still have a few games that I can play, they took a bit of work to find though - stuff that fits with my mind's diminished ability to cope with stress etc. Mostly idle clickers at the moment, but better than nothing.

• Love
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
In the same boat. Games were the only enjoyment I had when I was younger.
Playing them now makes me even more depressed cause now
I'm actually aware the only thing they give is an illusion of self-satisfaction at the cost of productiveness.
I can only wonder if anything would've been different if I had not focused on games so much to get away from real life pain.

Gotta squeeze out them last few drops of dopamine I guess :/.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, The end ! and Kat!
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i am also done with games. spent tons of hours with factorio, rimworld, games from the civ series, alpha centauri, endless space 2, old dos and amiga games.
somehow a compensation to feed my need for perfectionism and to fill this void that it's not possible to reload your life if you fuck up (or even make a tiny mistake).
it is somehow telling how i feel in life. the start is nice to somehow develop the unknown territory but the deeper i am into it, the more obsessive my need for perfectionism becomes to the point where i ask myself "what tha fu** i am doing here" and then i kick away hours of hard work for nothing.

so i am left behind with a void. and more and more i have the feeling that there is nothing which can fill this void.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mentalmick, 262653 and waived