FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
So, anybody watch the show or read the books? If so, what's something you like about it? What's your favorite character? What do you think will happen in season 8?

For me, I really liked all the political maneuvering and scheming. Pivoting to focus on the Others doomsday scenario hasn't been as fun for me (basically all of S7), especially because a lot of the mystical elements tying everything together were cut from the show. As far as favorite characters go, I have a different answer for the show and the book. In the show, Cersei is by and far the leader of the pack. My love for Lena Heady's portrayal was solidified after she blew up the Sept of Balor. In the books, I would have to go with Davos (who is also in my top picks for the show). He's just so noble and earnest and loyal. You can't not like the guy. Same goes for Brienne. Jaime and Tyrion definitely have some of the funniest chapters though as they constantly insult people in their heads.

As for season 8, I can't really share what I think will happen unless I really want to blow up this thread with spoilers. I keep a close eye on r/freefolk to catch leaks. I've seen and heard too much by this point.

Reactions: RM5998, akosineenee and lv-gras
M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
I am OBSESSED with the show and love it.
I think that Jon and Daenerys will stay together, Jon dies and she survives as maybe she will be pregnant. I hope Cersei dies!
that's only what I think, I dunno what will happen but have been reading a lot of speculations and spoilers and leaks, everyone says something different.

Reactions: FullFat and lv-gras
M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
I am OBSESSED with the show and love it.
I think that Jon and Daenerys will stay together, Jon dies and she survives as maybe she will be pregnant. I hope Cersei dies!
that's only what I think, I dunno what will happen but have been reading a lot of speculations and spoilers and leaks, everyone says something different.
dear lv-gras, is there any post of mine that you don't like?:wink::happy::halo:

Reactions: lv-gras
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The books were great. Unpredictable. The series was great, until it reached the end of the books. Then is was good, but somewhat more predictable, tying up lose ends. I got the impression that the author may have actually made more lose ends rather than tying them up.

If you enjoyed the complexity of the books, try the Malazan books by Steven Erikson.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and lv-gras
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
The books feel more like a myth told realistically, with the way prophecies work and the description of magic. The structure of the books is more episodic, almost like a historical epic, and is the reason why I liked the story in the first place. It felt like someone was telling the story of this medieval world which was as skeptical of magic as we were, and the appearance of said magic was as confusing to the universe's characters as to us.

The show leans into the fantasy elements way more, and thus the lack of story structure is more apparent. It was working well when the characters were good enough to drive the plot, but when they ran out of books and tried to do the fantasy story third act pattern, the magic started falling apart.

But all in all, I don't think I hate the show. As the YouTube channel Just Write says, I've fallen out of love with it.

Blackbird

Blackbird

Jul 23, 2018
I loved the books. The series is alright but it doesn't compare imho.

Reactions: blood orange and RM5998
blood orange

blood orange

Sep 14, 2018
I'm bracing myself for the summoning of the drowned god in the book.

Also I like they spiced up Dany in the series, I hate how in the book she endlessly pines for the sell sword. But they left out the part when she was sick and heard Jorah's voice in the grass. Idk it's sweet and romantic.

Also why get rid of reanimated lady Stoneheart/others? And blue haired/bearded people? I want answers HBO.

Reactions: RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I'm bracing myself for the summoning of the drowned god in the book.

Also I like they spiced up Dany in the series, I hate how in the book she endlessly pines for the sell sword. But they left out the part when she was sick and heard Jorah's voice in the grass. Idk it's sweet and romantic.

Also why get rid of reanimated lady Stoneheart/others? And blue haired/bearded people? I want answers HBO.

I'm guessing that they dropped stuff that they didn't know the resolution of due to WoW being in editing hell. I'm guessing this is the extreme version of the Scott Pilgrim situation.

Side note: It's interesting that both Scott Pilgrim and ASOIAF have 6 books, and the last part of the screen versions suffer from the problem of oversimplification. However, Edgar Wright's writing and directing makes Scott Pilgrim a pretty good movie even at the end. GoT has the directing nailed, but the writing as of now is... bad. That's not to say it can't be redeemed, but I don't see any sign of that happening. Honestly, the only thing going for the show right now is the acting talent on board, that elevates the material given.

Reactions: blood orange
blood orange

blood orange

Sep 14, 2018
I'm guessing that they dropped stuff that they didn't know the resolution of due to WoW being in editing hell. I'm guessing this is the extreme version of the Scott Pilgrim situation.

Side note: It's interesting that both Scott Pilgrim and ASOIAF have 6 books, and the last part of the screen versions suffer from the problem of oversimplification. However, Edgar Wright's writing and directing makes Scott Pilgrim a pretty good movie even at the end. GoT has the directing nailed, but the writing as of now is... bad. That's not to say it can't be redeemed, but I don't see any sign of that happening. Honestly, the only thing going for the show right now is the acting talent on board, that elevates the material given.
I confess I didn't watch the last episode this past season because I can't deal with where the show is going. It's predictable and tries too hard. What was the point of killing off all the sand snakes. I don't like the characterization of Euron Greyjoy, he's such a meathead, jock guy.

I'm trying to keep expectations low. But it's very hard since the book is very good and I'm attached to the subplots. And effective at introducing someone and ripping them away.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I confess I didn't watch the last episode this past season because I can't deal with where the show is going. It's predictable and tries too hard. What was the point of killing off all the sand snakes. I don't like the characterization of Euron Greyjoy, he's such a meathead, jock guy.

I'm trying to keep expectations low. But it's very hard since the book is very good and I'm attached to the subplots. And effective at introducing someone and ripping them away.

Yeah, I loved the Dorne subplot in the books. And speaking of Euron, whatever happened to Victarion? He seemed to be developing into an interesting character in the books, and he isn't present in the show (at least, the wikis have no info on that).

There's this channel called Just Write that made a video on the later seasons of GoT.

It tackles how the show went for a conventional 3rd act drama at the end, and questions whether it is even possible to make a fantasy story that doesn't have familiar 3rd act conflicts.

Let's hope that Martin uses the reception to the show to improve the books.

Reactions: blood orange
M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
What I feel really sad about is how they are making only 8 seasons. They could have made about 4 more and people would have still watched. So many things in season 7 were rushed, like Dany's and Jon's relationships and other stuff. All the things that made season 1 and 2 so great were all the little moments between the characters-jokes, discussions, witty comments and all that and that was pretty much missing from season 7. Oh well.
Still probably the greatest TV series of all time, even better than Lost and that's really saying something

Reactions: RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Still probably the greatest TV series of all time, even better than Lost and that's really saying something

I'd probably give that title to either Mr. Robot or The Twilight Zone, but yeah, it's still an amazing show, right up there at the top. The show did give us great performances, and managed to make Season 6 grand and breathtaking despite not having much material to work on.

M

medusa

Student
Sep 1, 2018
I'd probably give that title to either Mr. Robot or The Twilight Zone, but yeah, it's still an amazing show, right up there at the top. The show did give us great performances, and managed to make Season 6 grand and breathtaking despite not having much material to work on.

I loved Mr. Robot as well:)

Reactions: lv-gras and RM5998