KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Is intentionally ingesting poisonous parts of the fugu fish a secure & pleasant way to die?
What do you think? If you have any opinion on this please comment down below.

"Fugu: The fish more poisonous than cyanide. The Japanese delicacy fugu, or blowfish, is so poisonous that the smallest mistake in its preparation could be fatal."

Toxicity
Fugu contains lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin in its inner organs, especially the liver, the ovaries, eyes, and skin.[4]

The symptoms from ingesting a lethal dose of tetrodotoxin may include dizziness, exhaustion, headache, nausea, or difficulty breathing. The person remains conscious but cannot speak or move. Breathing stops and asphyxiation follows.

There is no known antidote, and treatment consists of emptying the stomach, giving the person activated charcoal to bind the toxin, and putting them on life support until the poison has worn off.

Incidents
Poisonings through amateur preparation can result from confusion between types of puffer, as well as improper methods, and some may represent deliberate suicide attempts. Engelbert Kaempfer, a German physician who resided in Japan in the 1690s, reported that an unusually toxic variety of puffer was sometimes sought out by individuals who wished to take their own lives.[27]

Much higher figures were reported in earlier years, peaking in 1958 when 176 people died from eating fugu in a single year.[17] According to the Fugu Research Institute, 50% of the victims were poisoned by eating the liver, 43% from eating the ovaries, and 7% from eating the skin. One of the most famous victims was the Kabuki actor and "Living National Treasure" Bandō Mitsugorō VIII, who in 1975 died after eating four servings of fugu kimo(fugu liver),[23] the sale of which was prohibited by local ordinances at the time.[28] Bandō claimed to be able to resist the poison,[23] but died several hours after returning to his hotel.[28]

On August 23, 2007, a doctor in Thailand reported that unscrupulous fish sellers sold puffer meat disguised as salmon, which caused fifteen deaths over three years. About 115 people were taken to different hospitals. Fugu had been banned in Thailand five years prior to the deaths.[29]

In March 2008, a fisherman in the Philippines died and members of his family became ill from pufferfish. The previous year, four people in the same town died and five others had fallen ill after eating the same variety of pufferfish.[30]

In February 2009, a Malaysian fisherman died and four others were hospitalised after they consumed a meal of puffer fish when they ran out of food while at sea.[31]

In November 2011, a chef at two-Michelin star "Fugu Fukuji" in Tokyo was suspended from his post. The chef served fugu liver to a customer who, despite being warned of the risks, specifically asked that it be provided. The 35-year-old customer subsequently required hospital treatment for mild symptoms of tetrodotoxin paralysis, but made a full recovery.[32]

Five men were poisoned at a restaurant in Wakayama in March 2015 after specifically asking for liver.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: Euthanza, AnxietyAttack44, HappyMstake and 5 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I've entertained dying from eating fugu in the past, but given how slow death is and excruciating, I don't want to go out in this manner.

Reactions: Euthanza, AnxietyAttack44 and KleinerWolf
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Is intentionally ingesting poisonous parts of the fugu fish a...pleasant way to die?

Nay. Unless you're into these symptoms you quoted.

The symptoms from ingesting a lethal dose of tetrodotoxin may include dizziness, exhaustion, headache, nausea, or difficulty breathing. The person remains conscious but cannot speak or move. Breathing stops and asphyxiation follows.

Reactions: autumnal, Brink, Toobrokentofix and 2 others
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
Yes would be nice CTB by Fish n Chips, lol I looked at this method myself there are a few earlier threads but enjoy the cartoon, lol

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/death-by-fish-that-is-more-poisonous-than-cyanide.36361/

Cheers

Geo

Reactions: _Minsk and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Nay. Unless you're into these symptoms you quoted.

Yeah I agree.
If experiencing asphyxiation while fully conscious according to what's said there,
then this method will go back to the bottom of my list.
Yes would be nice CTB by Fish n Chips, lol I looked at this method myself there are a few earlier threads but enjoy the cartoon, lol

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/death-by-fish-that-is-more-poisonous-than-cyanide.36361/

Cheers

Geo
One of the not many ways to not fast before ctb lol
It's certainly unique but not so sure about asphyxiation while still conscious.

thx for the link btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and _Minsk
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
wouldn't it be quite hard to get your hands on some fugu fish unless you live somewhere like Japan

Reactions: KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
wouldn't it be quite hard to get your hands on some fugu fish unless you live somewhere like Japan

Yes.
Keen to save up and take a flight over there just to get myself killed.
As long as a method is effective& not involving unnecessary suffering.

Fugu poisoning seems unreliable and based on the information available so far,
It does involve remaining conscious while death by asphyxiation.
Not very nice...

Reactions: Euthanza
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Jul 9, 2020
Yes.
Keen to save up and take a flight over there just to get myself killed.
As long as a method is effective& not involving unnecessary suffering.

Fugu poisoning seems unreliable and based on the information available so far,
It does involve remaining conscious while death by asphyxiation.
Not very nice...
Would be cheaper and better to just buy N

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Jul 9, 2020
Hard to source though :(
That's true. If it was easier to source and i could guarantee that I'd get the product without being scammed, N would be my ctb method

KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
That's true. If it was easier to source and i could guarantee that I'd get the product without being scammed, N would be my ctb method
Yeah same.

Reactions: _Minsk and Deleted member 19654
Werewolf

Werewolf

Without shelter
May 12, 2020
Slowly suffocating while being fully conscious and paralyzed? No thank you. Unless ofcourse sheer panic is something you find enjoyable

Reactions: autumnal, GoodPersonEffed and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Slowly suffocating while being fully conscious and paralyzed? No thank you. Unless of course sheer panic is something you find enjoyable
I think they meant to say your tongue becomes numb,
you become unable to move your muscles
then unable to breathe while conscious

but since the poison is up to 2000 times stronger than cyanide,
I suspect the death won't take long after you ingest it.
According to documentary, a trained Japanese fugu chef described the poison as "instant"

it's still questionable though since not many people choose this method for suicide.

Last edited:
Werewolf

Werewolf

Without shelter
May 12, 2020
I think they meant to say your tongue becomes numb,
you become unable to move your muscles
then unable to breathe while conscious

but since the poison is up to 2000 times stronger than cyanide,
I suspect the death won't take long after you ingest it.
According to documentary, a trained Japanese fugu chef described the poison as "instant"

it's still questionable though since not many people choose this method for suicide.

From Wikipedia on tetrodotoxin poisoning:

Symptoms typically develop within 30 minutes of ingestion, but may be delayed by up to four hours; however, if the dose is fatal, symptoms are usually present within 17 minutes of ingestion.[43]Paresthesia of the lips and tongue is followed by developing paresthesia in the extremities, hypersalivation, sweating, headache, weakness, lethargy, incoordination, tremor, paralysis, cyanosis, aphonia, dysphagia, and seizures. The gastrointestinal symptoms are often severe and include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain; death is usually secondary to respiratory failure.[45][51] There is increasing respiratory distress, speech is affected, and the victim usually exhibits dyspnea, cyanosis, mydriasis, and hypotension. Paralysis increases, and convulsions, mental impairment, and cardiac arrhythmia may occur. The victim, although completely paralyzed, may be conscious and in some cases completely lucid until shortly before death, which generally occurs within 4 to 6 hours (range ~20 minutes to ~8 hours). However, some victims enter a coma.

Not a nice way to go if you ask me.

Reactions: Euthanza, Bauhaus, autumnal and 2 others
AvaAdore

AvaAdore

When will it be?
Jul 20, 2020
I wish there was video footage available of someone eating pufferfish and then dying. That would help me decide.

Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Jul 9, 2020
If it was a quick, painless and guaranteed death then I would buy a first class flight to Japan, blow all my money having fun and then ctb

Reactions: Euthanza and KleinerWolf
esoragoto

esoragoto

The 1000th summer—
May 23, 2020
I've had fugu sashimi over in Japan before, and it's...really not anything special. Pretty bland as far as fish goes, and I'm a fan of sushi/sashimi in general. I think the entire reason most people would eat it is just for that kind of "brush with death" thrill. I doubt it's for the flavor.

Anyways, incidents of fugu poisoning are rare and isolated because even when you get to Japan, cooking fugu is heavily regulated - and no restaurant is going to want a death attributed to them. They're not going to serve you the poison parts. You'd have to hunt down some really backend shady restaurant that served fugu to even have a chance.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
I've had fugu sashimi over in Japan before, and it's...really not anything special. Pretty bland as far as fish goes, and I'm a fan of sushi/sashimi in general. I think the entire reason most people would eat it is just for that kind of "brush with death" thrill. I doubt it's for the flavor.

Anyways, incidents of fugu poisoning are rare and isolated because even when you get to Japan, cooking fugu is heavily regulated - and no restaurant is going to want a death attributed to them. They're not going to serve you the poison parts. You'd have to hunt down some really backend shady restaurant that served fugu to even have a chance.

I had fugu sashimi while I was in China.
It was quite a delicacy and tasted like rubber and slightly chewy imo but it was relatively fresh and does have a very mild numbing sensation when you taste it.

To succeed at fugu poisoning, I'd think about sourcing my own fugu when I'm in Japan,
purchasing the fish whole with its most poisonous organs intact.
Restaurants won't serve you these toxic parts and they'd to the bare minimum tone it down so it becomes a dinning experience to chase the thrill as opposed to doing it for the sake of suicide.

An interesting idea though.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I would avoid viewing second hand descriptions such as "instant" as being accurate. Just by reading the symptoms posted, one could easily work out death would take at least 5-10 minutes. It's actually longer due to absorption.

puffer fish aren't rare or only relegated to japan. This topic comes up occasionally; it's not a peaceful way to go anymore than the more commonly available paralytics are peaceful.

Reactions: Euthanza, lifeisbutadream and KleinerWolf
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I wish there was video footage available of someone eating pufferfish and then dying. That would help me decide.

This is probably the closest thing... :))

• Yay!
Reactions: Euthanza, AvaAdore, Aap and 3 others