memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
I live in the U.S. if that matters at all.

Also, I'm seeing conflicting information.

Do you share a room with someone? Or it mostly like a cell?

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
it will all depend on the facility your put into there's no one approach to all mental health wards each operates by it's own set of rules within the guidelines set out by the government

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
I'm talking about the US. Hospital based, I couldn't imagine anywhere still allowing that, they will get patches though. Residential usually allows smoking but you usually have to bring enough supply for the visit. You'd need to account for people bumming off you too. They don't want people going into full blown nicotine withdrawals because it can trigger psychosis and suicidality.

memoriesofyesterday

memoriesofyesterday

Sep 24, 2024
I'm talking about the US. Hospital based, I couldn't imagine anywhere still allowing that, they will get patches though. Residential usually allows smoking but you usually have to bring enough supply for the visit. You'd need to account for people bumming off you too. They don't want people going into full blown nicotine withdrawals because it can trigger psychosis and suicidality.
Thanks!

This might sound stupid, but what is residential? What does that mean?

I can't imagine voluntarily checking myself in for help, if I'm not allowed to smoke. That would actually be a deal breaker for me personally.

That might sound stupid to people who don't smoke.

Anri_wants_peace

Anri_wants_peace

Dec 23, 2023
in my experience...
well we got 3 smoke breaks a day
and i think most have the option of a nicotine patch (also in the u.s)

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023

Depends on the country in Poland you could US no. There's gum and nicotine patches though. And typically yes you do. Though I've had my own room like the hospital only had individual rooms... Never been to jail or prison so I don't know. Probably depends on the facility some are worse then others.

A

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
Going to depend on the state and the facillity. I've had friends who have and they were given smoke breaks (predetermined times) and designated areas they could smoke. Check your state and local facilities for specific details as that should answer it for you better. Wishing you the best in everything you are looking for and may it be filled with serenity & peace.

U

Unspoken7612

Student
Jul 14, 2024
In my experience it was the only thing people were really allowed to leave for.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Depends on the country in Poland you could US no. There's gum and nicotine patches though. And typically yes you do. Though I've had my own room like the hospital only had individual rooms... Never been to jail or prison so I don't know. Probably depends on the facility some are worse then others.
Generally no gum allowed here, it'll only be the patch, no lozenges either. And never vaping.

DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
Why don't you email/call the facility?

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Generally no gum allowed here, it'll only be the patch, no lozenges either. And never vaping.
I've seen nicotine gum offered in most places. Maybe 1 didn't? Pretty sure they did though. I don't recall I don't smoke so not a big deal for me. Gum in and of itself definitely is offered. I'm guessing some do and some don't. Vaping I've not seen outside of Poland.

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
I've seen nicotine gum offered in most places. Maybe 1 didn't? Pretty sure they did though. I don't recall I don't smoke so not a big deal for me. Gum in and of itself definitely is offered. I'm guessing some do and some don't. Vaping I've not seen outside of Poland.
Not in US hospitals when in a psych ward, and in most cases not at all in a hospital due to safety reasons, same reason for the lozenges. Of course, I'm sure exceptions exist, but they would be exceptions. But being a nurse, we like to give choking hazards a wide berth.

B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Not in US hospitals when in a psych ward, and in most cases not at all in a hospital due to safety reasons, same reason for the lozenges. Of course, I'm sure exceptions exist, but they would be exceptions. But being a nurse, we like to give choking hazards a wide berth.
I've been to 4 psych wards and 3 in the US. Nicotine gum was available in all 3. Maybe it is a state by state thing. I don't know. But considering nicotine wards off the symptoms of schizophrenia for short periods of time.... There's a medical reason to give out nicotine in some form. Lozenges? I have no idea. Like I said i don't smoke. I know the gum has been available for sure though. Honestly gum isn't that big of a choking hazard and non nicotine gum has also been offered. So has things like hard candy in one location. I've also had cold/throat lozenges been given. I mean if you can choke on gum you can probably choke on the food given. Bottom line in my experience gum yes, lozenges maybe, smoking itself not in the US, and vaping not in the US.

maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024

I was a psych nurse in the US. You have rights, but not to smoke & most facilities won't let you smoke, as it's a "health facility". They will probably allow you nicotine gum or patch.
Depending on the facility you may share a room with someone🌹💔

depthss

depthss

wikihow
Dec 12, 2023
They had nicotine patches in the last one I was in

heliophobic

heliophobic

Memento Mori
Jan 29, 2024
It absolutely depends on the facility. The ones I was in that were at hospitals offered patches and gum(that stuff totally tastes like licking an ashtray, imo). But then I was also in a facility that wasn't part of a hospital but part of an outpatient therapy clinic and not only was the food better but they also took smoking clients outside for smoke breaks. That was a while ago because I haven't been inpatient since about 2013 and stopped smoking in 2015, but it's not like it happened in the 90s or anything. It stands to reason that being inpatient at a hospital psych ward and being inpatient at an independent mental health facility would definitely work differently.

Reactions: memoriesofyesterday