• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Soo... I have been approved SSDI at the inital level I was told over the phone waiting for the decision to post to myssa account hopefully within the next few days. The exact wording is "a favorable decision has been made on your case". When I asked what that means I was told it is approved, and I will be receiving backpay. So soon I should be able to pay off the massive amount of debt I accumulate over the past year of not being able to leave home barely. Not sure if I can get the eviction, or repo off my credit report though. I am gonna talk to someone about this as it truly was not my fault and I should not be held accountable when I am unable to move barely. Anyone needs help applying, or getting assistance I will gladly share my story in a private setting. I did this without an attorney, and completely on my own.
If you want to discuss either PM me or post below that you want me to reach out to you and I promise I will.

I am not sure about SSI this is for SSDI.

I am excited that I will soon have insurance to go back to my doctors, medication, and ECT this is all I wanted to begin with. I guess you could say a silver lining?

I did ask @Marquis if I could post this as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: wiIIow, throwaway777, Final Escape and 4 others
LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
Congratulations, friend!! I'm so happy for you, I know it's no easy thing to do. (I fought for mine for several years, moved states, then bam I was approved because of such lengthy hospital records - not easy at all.) Hoping that your doctors will be able to help and that you can start to feel better :happy:

Reactions: PatKat
Ashpac

Ashpac

Lost and always will be.
Jul 22, 2018
Well done PatKat you deserve it.

Spend it wisely :sunglasses:

• Hugs
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Congratulations, friend!! I'm so happy for you, I know it's no easy thing to do. (I fought for mine for several years, moved states, then bam I was approved because of such lengthy hospital records - not easy at all.) Hoping that your doctors will be able to help and that you can start to feel better :happy:
Oh I have read horror stories. Thank you also, I wont be leaving this community. It is still a great help to me.
Well done PatKat you deserve it.

Spend it wisely :sunglasses:
Thank you!

Reactions: LogicalConclusion
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
Congratulations! I might apply for SSI.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Congratulations! I might apply for SSI.
I wish I knew about SSI :( not sure how closely related they are all I know is you pay into SSDI and SSI you dont is all I know.

Reactions: GeorgeJL
LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
I wish I knew about SSI :( not sure how closely related they are all I know is you pay into SSDI and SSI you dont is all I know.
I could be wrong because this stuff is stupid confusing, but I think SSI/SSDI are the same but not in that they are both forms of disability benefits but SSI is considered welfare and is the lowest amount, where SSDI is what you get after you have worked for x amount of time and can be a lot more than an SSI-recipient would get.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
I could be wrong because this stuff is stupid confusing, but I think SSI/SSDI are the same but not in that they are both forms of disability benefits but SSI is considered welfare and is the lowest amount, where SSDI is what you get after you have worked for x amount of time and can be a lot more than an SSI-recipient would get. But there seem to also be subdivisions like what I'm on is Disabled Adult Child of a Retired Parent or whatever and my friend has some form of payment from the govt that comes from his deceased mother's Social Security thing.
Oh I didnt know this I never even looked into SSI... So would you be able to collect SSI while waiting for SSDI or do you still have to go through the long process?

If you had say a 40k a year job for your entire life would that make you not eligible for SSI?

LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
Oh I didnt know this I never even looked into SSI... So would you be able to collect SSI while waiting for SSDI or do you still have to go through the long process?

If you had say a 40k a year job for your entire life would that make you not eligible for SSI?
It would probably be best to look at the govt websites for more exact details, but I think the overall answer is that you have to go through the process to get anything. I don't know what all of the disqualifications are but imagine you have to be receiving under a certain amount monthly to qualify (could be wrong). In some states, though, you may be able to receive cash assistance as well as food stamps while awaiting a govt decision.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I have applied for SSI since last year and have been denied (initial claim), appealed then denied again, and then requested a hearing. I have a hearing date coming later this year, so I don't know how I will fare in that. I'm still young (age 28) and while I have Aspergers, it will still be very tough to get approved.

As for SSDI, no I don't qualify for it as I haven't worked enough for it.

• Hugs
Reactions: PatKat and Final Escape
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
It would probably be best to look at the govt websites for more exact details, but I think the overall answer is that you have to go through the process to get anything. I don't know what all of the disqualifications are but imagine you have to be receiving under a certain amount monthly to qualify (could be wrong). In some states, though, you may be able to receive cash assistance as well as food stamps while awaiting a govt decision.
I just wish this information wasnt 'hidden'. Noone talks about these programs. This should be getting attention and awareness instead of what a celebrity ate for lunch yesterday.
I have applied for SSI since last year and have been denied (initial claim), appealed then denied again, and then requested a hearing. I have a hearing date coming later this year, so I don't know how I will fare in that. I'm still young (age 28) and while I have Aspergers, it will still be very tough to get approved.

As for SSDI, no I don't qualify for it as I haven't worked enough for it.
I am truly sorry you had to wait till the hearing level it must be miserable...How long did it take to get a hearing after you filed the appeal for a hearing with an ALJ?

The process was very scary to me, I had to talk to people I didnt know, doctors, SSA, sign ROIs for my entire medical history mental, and physical for the government to see. It is scary period. Like I cant even look at people in the face or eyes without having a panic attack, and it feels like my I am having a heart attack.I understand though that that is their job, and millions of people a year file for SSI/SSDI and the staff at the SSA is extremely short for that amount of people. I couldnt do that job denying people that obviously have a disability but not meeting the specific "criteria" to approve them. I bet they suffer to a degree as well just seeing all this kind of stuff. Everyone is different and we cannot be defined we are individuals.

Also, do not forget the SSA does the entire countries retirement, and Medicare also. They have a ton of responsibilities and they need help.

This is just one country though it is like this worldwide. The bigger issue needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: LogicalConclusion
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
congrats!

Have you looked at the ECT studies? I know you want desperately to feel better, but I have read that the evidence of ECT's effectiveness is not very strong, and you run the risk of brain damage and losing your memories. Sorry if I'm butting in your business, but I just don't want you to go through more suffering. Please make sure you are fully informed on it before you go through with it. Doctors aren't going to fully warn you of the risks, so you need to look into it yourself.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Soo... I have been approved SSDI at the inital level I was told over the phone waiting for the decision to post to myssa account hopefully within the next few days. The exact wording is "a favorable decision has been made on your case". When I asked what that means I was told it is approved, and I will be receiving backpay. So soon I should be able to pay off the massive amount of debt I accumulate over the past year of not being able to leave home barely. Not sure if I can get the eviction, or repo off my credit report though. I am gonna talk to someone about this as it truly was not my fault and I should not be held accountable when I am unable to move barely. Anyone needs help applying, or getting assistance I will gladly share my story in a private setting. I did this without an attorney, and completely on my own.
If you want to discuss either PM me or post below that you want me to reach out to you and I promise I will.

I am not sure about SSI this is for SSDI.

I am excited that I will soon have insurance to go back to my doctors, medication, and ECT this is all I wanted to begin with. I guess you could say a silver lining?

I did ask @Marquis if I could post this as well.
Congratulations! :) that's a big deal and a huge weight off im sure.

LogicalConclusion

LogicalConclusion

Experienced
Jun 2, 2019
Another tip I learned that helped tremendously: Just talk about how you feel, don't speak clinically (I am very clinical in how I look and evaluate what I'm experiencing, so that was v tough for me). And when they ask you things like "are you able to prepare meals on your own?" for example, you need to say what the truth is on your worst day, so for me I would say "No, to make an actual meal I need assistance from someone else." This feels like lying because there may be days where you can do the thing, at least to me and some others it can feel that way, but I promise you it's not lying. My advocate and I were actually talking about this recently and she expressed this sentiment. Try not to let the formality of it all scare you (you're not gonna get in trouble for telling them what your conditions are like at their worst), and good luck to anyone applying/appealing :)

Reactions: catharticEscapism
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
Congratulations! :) that's a big deal and a huge weight off im sure.
Yes, I read that once the approval posts it will be up to an additional 90 days, but it also states 60 days is the average so I am still waiting. I just know that I will be able to get help soon and I just need to hold on for a few more months. Much easier said than done. I have already went to the pharmacy and got a print out of all the medications I was on to give to my new providers, I will be going to my PCP first to get my prescriptions refilled and restarted have to build back up on each one sadly and that process is no fun.
Another tip I learned that helped tremendously: Just talk about how you feel, don't speak clinically (I am very clinical in how I look and evaluate what I'm experiencing, so that was v tough for me). And when they ask you things like "are you able to prepare meals on your own?" for example, you need to say what the truth is on your worst day, so for me I would say "No, to make an actual meal I need assistance from someone else." This feels like lying because there may be days where you can do the thing, at least to me and some others it can feel that way, but I promise you it's not lying. My advocate and I were actually talking about this recently and she expressed this sentiment. Try not to let the formality of it all scare you (you're not gonna get in trouble for telling them what your conditions are like at their worst), and good luck to anyone applying/appealing :)
Thank you.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I am truly sorry you had to wait till the hearing level it must be miserable...How long did it take to get a hearing after you filed the appeal for a hearing with an ALJ?
It took me about 4-5 months to get a hearing date that is scheduled 4-5 months from now.

Anyways, I have a question. If I get a job, particularly a part time job while waiting on a hearing or getting an approval, does this mean I should report it to SSA and also cancel the hearing?

I just know that if someone is receiving SSI then he/she has to report his/her wages, earnings, gifts, resources to SSA and has to be below the $2,000 limit for individuals ($3,000 for married couples). I'm single so my limit is $2,000. I just don't know if that is necessary to report my income before I get approved or even before the ALJ hearing. Furthermore, I have worked part time in the last 5 months (a 4 month part time job) so I don't know if this means I no longer qualify or have a case.

PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
It took me about 4-5 months to get a hearing date that is scheduled 4-5 months from now.

Anyways, I have a question. If I get a job, particularly a part time job while waiting on a hearing or getting an approval, does this mean I should report it to SSA and also cancel the hearing?

I just know that if someone is receiving SSI then he/she has to report his/her wages, earnings, gifts, resources to SSA and has to be below the $2,000 limit for individuals ($3,000 for married couples). I'm single so my limit is $2,000. I just don't know if that is necessary to report my income before I get approved or even before the ALJ hearing. Furthermore, I have worked part time in the last 5 months (a 4 month part time job) so I don't know if this means I no longer qualify or have a case.
Yes you have to report how many hour you work a week, employer, and also your wage. If there are changes you need to report those also. I believe that is part of the law as well. I would go to your local SSA office to do so as calling takes a very long time, and you will get transfered and eventually give up. The IRS reports your income to them as well.

You also have to report your own death. Not sure how that works?

Last edited: