Does inflation and raising rent prices contribute to your reasons for wanting to CTB?

• Yes

• No

• Shut up robloxgrl

Results are only viewable after voting.
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
Personally, for me it does.

My husband and I make $57000 a year before taxes and it's JUST enough for rent, car payments & insurance for two cars, vet bills, medical bills, but not enough for taxes at the end of the year (bc we're self employed), not enough to save for the RV we need (bc fuck landlords, some of them don't allow pets in apartments anymore & houses are just not fucking affordable). Every time I do our taxes I break down and stare at the gun my husband keeps in our dresser drawer for HOURS. I'm too fucking afraid to do it but I want to so fucking bad.

ps the last option is a joke but you can definitely tell me to shut up if you want 💓

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: rotciv, LonelyKitten, Spiritual survivor and 12 others
RedHates

RedHates

Purple is a neut.
Jun 21, 2023
It contributes a little. Everything is going to shit and i doubt ill be able to have enough money to live on my own, meaning I'm going to have to rely on people forever.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: annointed_towers, AvoidingMyself, Kerrtu and 2 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I was talking to someone from the US the other day and and the cost of staying at a college dorm was insane, it's almost extortion. Not much better here in the UK too

• Hugs
Reactions: Kerrtu, RW__Asher23, AvoidingMyself and 2 others
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
I think one of the pathologies of this the horrendous economy definitely does. I think my own ineptitude does as well. I clearly don't know how to life well. Or I am deluded into thinking my resume is better then it is or I deserve a shot/help I don't know. I was in medical school until I was the victim of crimes... I was forced out.... I was even president of the oncology research group.... Now I literally can't get employed at a halfway decent job.... I owe 150k+ in debt. No (legal) help, can't get a job, etc... The same jobs available to me are the ones I could've gotten at 18. I worked my ass off and my reward is a harder life (yes I have a bachelor's). Nothing from the world to alleviate it. Besides maybe here's some pills. So yeah it definitely does. But I think it's frankly society more so. I feel like I didn't get a chance in life to succeed it was stolen from me at the worst possible time...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: rotciv, annointed_towers, Spiritual survivor and 6 others
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I was talking to someone from the US the other day and and the cost of staying at a college dorm was insane, it's almost extortion. Not much better here in the UK too
That's true! I forgot to mention college debt, that's a huge factor. I did end up getting a scholarship to my first choice university bc I was in the honors program at my local community college but still ended up having to pay out of pocket for some stuff, which I couldn't afford and took loans out for. It's almost not worth it to go to college if you're poor, but if you don't you're seen as lower class. Seems like poor young people just don't get a win anymore.
I think one of the pathologies of this the horrendous economy definitely does. I think my own ineptitude does as well. I clearly don't know how to life well. Or I am deluded into thinking my resume is better then it is or I deserve a shot/help I don't know. I was in medical school until I was the victim of crimes... I was forced out.... I was even president of the oncology research group.... Now I literally can't get employed at a halfway decent job.... I owe 150k+ in debt. No (legal) help, can't get a job, etc... The same jobs available to me are the ones I could've gotten at 18. I worked my ass off and my reward is a harder life (yes I have a bachelor's). Nothing from the world to alleviate it. Besides maybe here's some pills. So yeah it definitely does. But I think it's frankly society more so. I feel like I didn't get a chance in life to succeed it was stolen from me at the worst possible time...
I'm sorry that happened to you. It sounds like you did a lot of work to get where you were and it was ripped away from you in the worst way. I hope you find peace in some facet.

Reactions: annointed_towers, Archness and spinningmyself
front of me

front of me

Experienced
Aug 3, 2023
I think there is government support for the unemployed if things go wrong

• Love
Reactions: SleepyRobloxGrl
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I think there is government support for the unemployed if things go wrong
There is, except neither of us are unemployed. We're self employed, and we make JUST enough to survive week to week.

It'd be nice if we qualified for government assistance, but we don't. Not even food stamps.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: tora, Kerrtu and pinkribbonscars
P

pinkribbonscars

She’s lost control
Oct 7, 2021
My own self hatred is my primary reason for wanting to ctb. The problems of the world merely contribute.

This economy sucks tho. Millennials and gen z are screwed

• Love
Reactions: rotciv, Passersby, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
S

shatteredlife

Dec 10, 2022
Inflation isn't my main reason but TAXES ARE. My husband invested in cryptos but we lost money. But the reports look like we made a ton of money that we now have to pay taxes on. I wouldn't mind paying taxes if we actually made money but we didn't. Now we don't know what to do or how to handle it and I am terrified of going to prison for some kind of tax evasion that didn't happen. Some cryptos can't be bought for cash. In order to buy some of them you have to buy one crypto then transfer it to another exchange and then trade it for the crypto you want but when the crypto leaves an exchange it looks like you sold it and made money. Not all exchanges are helpful with taxes. We can't get it straight and the government will want it's share. We hoped that this would be our ticket to a good life and even help others. These rich people have lawyers to handle all of this tax crap and they get away with avoiding taxes through loopholes. I have always been able to deal with my depression and ED but this tax fiasco drags me to a different kind of low. I don't see any way out. Although I did almost cry when I went to Mcdonalds and a medium fry was 3 and a half bucks. WTF

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: rotciv, Passersby, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
Well, it certainly doesn't help matters.

I had a friend who was struggling with bills, rent - I sent him a check for $5k. I want to believe he did pay some bills with it and got his rent back under control. He did party, which hey, I like to party sometimes, especially in the fanny thread (see "off topic"). Anyhow, his partying with 'Tina aka meth lead him to having many unprotected sexual encounters and he is now HIV positive. He told me if I hadn't given him that money, he wouldn't have HIV.

I was speechless.

We are no longer friends. I don't wish him anything bad at all, I truly hope he gets below detectable, but that was that.

Edit to clarify: This former friend doesn't contribute to my wanting to CTB.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: LonelyKitten, Passersby, Spiritual survivor and 5 others
S

spinningmyself

Dec 31, 2022
There is government help like food stamps but the income cap or whatever they go by hasn't been raised for years. Even now with the inflation going on they are not raising it so even if you only work part time you don't qualify. So it doesn't help many people anymore. Now you have to have two full-time incomes just to live paycheck to paycheck, all that to pay for basically a place to sleep. It is just getting aweful here imo and it is never going to get any better.

• Love
Reactions: rotciv, Passersby, annointed_towers and 4 others
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
Well, it certainly doesn't help matters.

I had a friend who was struggling with bills, rent - I sent him a check for $5k. I want to believe he did pay some bills with it and got his rent back under control. He did party, which hey, I like to party sometimes, especially in the fanny thread (see "off topic"). Anyhow, his partying with 'Tina aka meth lead him to having many unprotected sexual encounters and he is now HIV positive. He told me if I hadn't given him that money, he wouldn't have HIV.

I was speechless.

We are no longer friends. I don't wish him anything bad at all, I truly hope he gets below detectable, but that was that.

Edit to clarify: This former friend doesn't contribute to my wanting to CTB.
It's terrible he did that. I'm sorry that happened to you. I usually stick to buying groceries or paying bills for others when I help bc actual money makes people go monkey brain for some reason.
Inflation isn't my main reason but TAXES ARE. My husband invested in cryptos but we lost money. But the reports look like we made a ton of money that we now have to pay taxes on. I wouldn't mind paying taxes if we actually made money but we didn't. Now we don't know what to do or how to handle it and I am terrified of going to prison for some kind of tax evasion that didn't happen. Some cryptos can't be bought for cash. In order to buy some of them you have to buy one crypto then transfer it to another exchange and then trade it for the crypto you want but when the crypto leaves an exchange it looks like you sold it and made money. Not all exchanges are helpful with taxes. We can't get it straight and the government will want it's share. We hoped that this would be our ticket to a good life and even help others. These rich people have lawyers to handle all of this tax crap and they get away with avoiding taxes through loopholes. I have always been able to deal with my depression and ED but this tax fiasco drags me to a different kind of low. I don't see any way out. Although I did almost cry when I went to Mcdonalds and a medium fry was 3 and a half bucks. WTF
My husband wanted to get into crypto and honestly I'm going to bring this post up to him bc I've always thought it was a bad idea. Even more so now because in the USA it's a requirement to share crypto transactions with the fucking government now.

I hope you are able keep your depression and ED under control, you deserve a modicum of peace at least.
There is government help like food stamps but the income cap or whatever they go by hasn't been raised for years. Even now with the inflation going on they are not raising it so even if you only work part time you don't qualify. So it doesn't help many people anymore. Now you have to have two full-time incomes just to live paycheck to paycheck, all that to pay for basically a place to sleep. It is just getting aweful here imo and it is never going to get any better.
We both work 7 days a week and get a maximum of 6 hours of sleep on a good night, to make roughly $1100 a week, and it's insane because pre-covid this income could've had us sitting pretty. Now we're in a roach and termite infested apartment for $1400 a month and that's the absolute cheapest we could find close to work.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: spinningmyself, Rogue Proxy and Kerrtu
tora

tora

lonelycity
Jun 11, 2023
inflation is driving me closer and closer to CTB everyday. just when I think I've paid all my bills of the month, more roll in. everything is so fucking expensive. I'm really lucky with my living situation; I bought my parents' old RV and live on a family friend's property for really cheap. but if my landlady ever sells the property, I'm going to be homeless. i barely get paid shit and I don't make nearly enough money to afford an apartment or even a spot in an RV park. my AC and fridge are broken and I can't afford to fix them, and I can only afford groceries enough for one meal a day. it's absolutely insane how we're expected to be able to pay thousands of dollars a month on rent when there's barely any jobs that pay a liveable wage.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: rotciv, Caramelized, spinningmyself and 5 others
Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Luckly I don't have to deal with that as-of-now thanks to NEET lifestyle. But honestly, working hard for $$$ just to live, just for gas, just so you can go back to work to makes more $$$ just to live just to work and so on.

With crapenomics like this, why do ppl wonder why those who could opt out of this garbage system do?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: rotciv, Caramelized, spinningmyself and 5 others
jbear824

jbear824

F*ck humanity. Let's end this.
Jul 4, 2023
I'm going to be permanently homeless, so yeah definitely.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: spinningmyself, annointed_towers, tora and 4 others
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I'm going to be permanently homeless, so yeah definitely.
I'm sorry. I have been homeless before and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I hope something good happens and your situation changes for the better somehow.
Luckly I don't have to deal with that as-of-now thanks to NEET lifestyle. But honestly, working hard for $$$ just to live, just for gas, just so you can go back to work to makes more $$$ just to live just to work and so on.

With crapenomics like this, why do ppl wonder why those who could opt out of this garbage system do?
I have been thinking about moving back in with my parents and living a semi NEET lifestyle bc it seems like the only goddamn option anymore

Last edited:
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
Not rising rent or inflation in particular, but continuously living in poverty, yes. I have a proven genetic disability and anyone like me is still only deemed worthy of living under the poverty line. I'll never go to a movie, never eat a restaurant, but it's not even those things I care about. I just need to be able to buy food, basic clothing, and basic household items. How is anyone supposed to feel that they're worthy of living when they were born with a condition that their country and society admits is not their fault, but deems as so unworthy that they can't have basic quality of life?

Any sort of disability, food stamps, etc. scales so badly, for example $50 makes a huge difference monthly for someone like me, yet for other people it makes no difference, and they would need more than that to see a difference in their quality of life. The system doesn't scale the payouts properly, so people who aren't benefitted by $50 will get that small amount while being told they can't work more or they won't get anything. That sticks them in a bad position because they're worried about losing that small amount, when they might otherwise be able to go up in pay/work more. While for people who can't work regardless and that amount would actually make a difference, that money doesn't go to them.

It's totally nonsensical and ends up with a bad outcome for everyone, when the powers that be could sit down and rewrite the rules of the system so that it actually benefits people. But that would take hard work, focus, and sorting through so much red tape and bureaucracy, so they don't do it. Meanwhile, people suffer.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Spiritual survivor, spinningmyself, Green Destiny and 5 others
jbear824

jbear824

F*ck humanity. Let's end this.
Jul 4, 2023
I'm sorry. I have been homeless before and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I hope something good happens and your situation changes for the better somehow.
That's the thing. There is no way out for me and my family (my friend and partner). Me and my friend can't work, my partner is only able to work part time. Me and my friend (who is also 65) rely on social security to survive. But it's not enough to secure housing. There is literally nothing we can do to get housing short of winning the lottery.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: spinningmyself, SleepyRobloxGrl, Spiritual survivor and 3 others
Parting Sorrow

Parting Sorrow

Feb 18, 2023
Many self-employed people I know can and DO write a lot off on their taxes. Are you not able to?

• Love
Reactions: SleepyRobloxGrl and Praestat_Mori
Techef

Techef

Student
Jun 19, 2023
Yes, it's definitely been a contributing factor. Specifically, the one-two punch of the pandemic shutdown followed by historical inflation. Pandemic happened at about the worst time it could, as I was just starting to make a comeback through self-employment/business after having to leave a stressful career that destroyed my health, not to mention the medical system backlog that ensued ended up in plenty of delayed or non-treatment of illnesses, loss of providers, having to start from square one, etc. Getting what little governmental assistance available is/was a slow and frustrating process, and by the time any benefit started trickling in I was done for. I'll be homeless (with mountains of debt) in 2 months tops.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: LonelyKitten, spinningmyself, annointed_towers and 2 others
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
Many self-employed people I know can and DO write a lot off on their taxes. Are you not able to?
Oh believe me, I'm constantly worrying about deductions. I take off whatever I can. But there are limitations to what you can write off. $5000 in deductions at the end of the year would still leave us roughly owing $10K if I did my math right, and I can't just pull 10K out of my ass at the beginning of the year :/

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Parting Sorrow, spinningmyself and RW__Asher23
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
The US has lost it's feasibility for living the simple life a long time ago. It's simply too expensive to live here. What little amount of money I make goes up in smoke for rent, food and gas and there's nothing leftover. In this country it will always ALWAYS be the few that prosper at the exploitation of the many.

Reactions: rotciv, Spiritual survivor, spinningmyself and 1 other person
R

RW__Asher23

Global Mod
Dec 11, 2022
I have been back to visit old friend in San Francisco Ca. recently and then down the coast LA and SD. Homeless all over the place drugs and suicide happen every day. And no they are not all druggie because they wanted to do that but because it was only way to deal with losing their home apartments kids taken away not because they were bad parents but because they could not afford the rent mortgage or hotel room. The stores all closed downtown SF due to thefts and safety that has gone to hell. The road that follows after you lose everything you had. We are all one paycheck away from those streets and drugs to end it all. No fun getting high when you only have the sidewalk as your new home. So in answer to your question Yes. My best friend lost her life in Kensington Pa. Part of Philly. Drugs and her final moments were with a overdose of Fenty and H but they really added a lil surprise for her which finished her off. Xylenol and. She text me saying good bye and telling me it was better than another day on the streets stealing from stores houses etc for more dope because she lost her home and kid, when she got laid off. That was the end for her. Now I can go on Youtube and watch her get carried off in ambulance though anytime I want. Well as long as I still have a home and computer and internet etc etc etc. CTB because of Economics? Yeah.
Wish you all Peace and better place when we leave here.
Peace.......

• Aww..
Reactions: rotciv, Green Destiny, LonelyKitten and 2 others
Passersby

Passersby

Trapped in space and time
Aug 29, 2019
I can relate to what you say and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Money is also a reason for my ctb. It's only going to get more expensive too. Nothing ever goes down only up.

It's terrible he did that. I'm sorry that happened to you. I usually stick to buying groceries or paying bills for others when I help bc actual money makes people go monkey brain for some reason.

My husband wanted to get into crypto and honestly I'm going to bring this post up to him bc I've always thought it was a bad idea. Even more so now because in the USA it's a requirement to share crypto transactions with the fucking government now.

I hope you are able keep your depression and ED under control, you deserve a modicum of peace at least.

We both work 7 days a week and get a maximum of 6 hours of sleep on a good night, to make roughly $1100 a week, and it's insane because pre-covid this income could've had us sitting pretty. Now we're in a roach and termite infested apartment for $1400 a month and that's the absolute cheapest we could find close to work.
Wow that is crazy. I don't see how you are even able to be on this forum right now if you work that much? I feel for you and I hope it gets better.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SleepyRobloxGrl
SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I can relate to what you say and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Money is also a reason for my ctb. It's only going to get more expensive too. Nothing ever goes down only up.

Wow that is crazy. I don't see how you are even able to be on this forum right now if you work that much? I feel for you and I hope it gets better.
My activity on this site is often spotty bc of my work schedule 😅 But I find a few mins to lurk every day

Reactions: Passersby