N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
The girl with whom I almost started a relationship years ago was really into horror movies. I never really understood the allure of horro movies. The same counts for theme parks but I will talk about this in a different thread.

Maybe as a child horror movies seemed to be interesting because they were forbidden. But I always was a person with very high anxiety. Since I am more suicidal I am not longer that scared about criminals. When I was pretty young I was often scared when it was dark or at night. Nowadays I think yeah if there is a burglar I hope he kills me fastly. As a child I was scared about some Spongebob episodes or other animes/cartoons. When I saw advertisements for Friday 13th or similar movies I was really scared. I have never watched real horror movies. The only thing I can remember is I played Until Dawn (a horror video game). I was not really scared about it life has proved to me my main concerns should be psychosomatic pain, depression and suicide. All of of these three things were the most frightening things in my life. Way more horrible than any fictional story.

I don't really get why I should watch horror movies. My life is already a nightmare I don't need more anxiety I need less. Though maybe some people can cope by watching fictional horror shows. Maybe they see it as a distraction when they are focused on fictional horror rather than their real life.

Today I have read a DFW story where he described his aversion of rollercoasters. I could very well relate. But his argumentation also applies to my aversion of horror movies. I already have a nervous system on high alert. Anxieties and fears can be easily triggered. I don't need this thrill in order to feel more alive. (I paraphrase it)

Personally I just don't see any sense in watching very scary horror movies. I am already way too traumatized my soul needs positive distractions.

Though I would be really interested why you are into horror movies. I want to understand the allure of it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: myopybyproxy
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The girl with whom I almost started a relationship years ago was really into horror movies. I never really understood the allure of horro movies. The same counts for theme parks but I will talk about this in a different thread.

Maybe as a child horror movies seemed to be interesting because they were forbidden. But I always was a person with very high anxiety. Since I am more suicidal I am not longer that scared about criminals. When I was pretty young I was often scared when it was dark or at night. Nowadays I think yeah if there is a burglar I hope he kills me fastly. As a child I was scared about some Spongebob episodes or other animes/cartoons. When I saw advertisements for Friday 13th or similar movies I was really scared. I have never watched real horror movies. The only thing I can remember is I played Until Dawn (a horror video game). I was not really scared about it life has proved to me my main concerns should be psychosomatic pain, depression and suicide. All of of these three things were the most frightening things in my life. Way more horrible than any fictional story.

I don't really get why I should watch horror movies. My life is already a nightmare I don't need more anxiety I need less. Though maybe some people can cope by watching fictional horror shows. Maybe they see it as a distraction when they are focused on fictional horror rather than their real life.

Today I read a DFW story where he described his aversion of rollercoasters. I could very well relate. But his argumentation also applies to my aversion of horror movies. I already have a nervous system on high alert. Anxieties and fears can be easily triggered. I don't need this thrill in order to feel more alive. (I paraphrase it)

Personally I just don't see any sense in watching very scary horror movies. I am already way too traumatized my soul needs positive distractions.

Though I would be really interested why you are into horror movies. I want to understand the allure of it better.

I'm not very much into the horror genre of entertainment media, because they are simply too scary.

However, if I should put out a theory out there as to why some may like the horror genre, I would think that it's similar to self harm - at least when it comes to suicidal people. I mean, being scared for a couple of hours while watching a horror movie may relieve some of the stress of life while the movie is playing. Also, I believe that horror is one of the most extreme feelings that one may have, so what I just wrote is specific to the horror genre of entertainment, so watching a comedy or action movie wouldn't have the same effect.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I hate horror but anything that can scare me without actually giving me nightmares is just exciting. Stuff like the Alien movies while they can be tense don't scare me because I already understand the biology of it. Jurassic Park also doesn't scare me because I just think dinosaurs are really cool. Most horror movies on the other hand involve ghosts and demons and stupid jump scares and if I even see something remotely scary it's usually enough to make me have to stay up for over 24 hours in fear. I have had a lot of sleep schedules ruined from having horror ads shoved in my face and if I had my way the genre as a whole would be illegal.

Games are the same. Sometimes when they have an interesting story I'll just look up the plot because I don't want to be scared. Real life does that enough for me.

hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
I used to love horror movies, especially as a kid.

Now, not so much, mostly because they keep repeating the same tropes.

I prefer a really creative ghost story, if anything.

Reactions: DynamicDepression and whatevs
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I love cosmic horror stories (Lovecraft, Stephen King, Puella Magi Madoka Magica). Existential dread, the insignificance of everything, and nihilism - now that's my stuff.

lyles

lyles

Student
Oct 13, 2021
It depends! Sometimes I just find the plot/themes/cinematography interesting and base my appreciation on that. Other times, it can be a way to consider the human condition through a lens that I can control while also acknowledging the disturbing and traumatic aspects of it. It lets me analyze traumatic scenarios while being assured that I can't be hurt. So it is a really good vector for that sort of self-analysis.

Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
Liking the visuals of horror movies is definitely a big part of it for me. They're often comfortingly atmospheric. I love the woods, old creaky mansions, etc.

Mindless horror movies can be nice because I often relate more to the wolfman or the warlock or the monster under the stairs than to normal people. It's a bit of an escape.

But the horror genre has also produced many serious artfilms that tackle disturbing but profound subjects which I find interesting for probably many of the same reasons as I find it interesting to share thoughts with other people on this forum.

Hercules

Hercules

Arcanist
Jan 31, 2021
I love horror movies. They are my favorite genre. I guess I just find them interesting. When I am watching a good horror movie, I get engrossed in the plot. It is a good distraction. Also I know that they aren't real, and I there is thrill of having something scare you similar to riding a roller coaster, but knowing that it can't hurt you. I also love the atmosphere of these movies- the haunted houses, ghosts, vampires, monsters, etc.

Last edited:
A

ArcherFiles44

Mar 20, 2022
I love the super natural vampires, werewolves, demons, ghosts---hauntings, just because mere mortals know not of the many realms that surround them
Even ufo's