• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

emptyenvelopes

emptyenvelopes

Jun 15, 2024
When I get into a bad sad spell, I have no appetite and struggle with severe under-eating. Additionally, when I get this sad I don't have the energy to prepare and cook food to eat. And I don't really know how to explain this, but if I eat food that's too solid or hard I just feel it in my belly and it makes me feel sick. Like for example I had a handful of pistachios yesterday and they just felt like rocks in my tummy, squashing my appetite further. But 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter didn't feel so harsh in my stomach.

When I don't eat enough I get these awful headaches (which I know means I need to eat) but I'm having a really hard time. I take a multivitamin in the morning, but I know I'm not getting enough calories to function. I feel it in how sluggish I move and in how dulled my thinking is.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what/how I can eat enough to function despite this depression? Open to any and all ideas.

• Hugs
Reactions: Seered Doom, whywere and heavyeyes
O

okuhvtuji

Jun 17, 2024
When I get into a bad sad spell, I have no appetite and struggle with severe under-eating. Additionally, when I get this sad I don't have the energy to prepare and cook food to eat. And I don't really know how to explain this, but if I eat food that's too solid or hard I just feel it in my belly and it makes me feel sick. Like for example I had a handful of pistachios yesterday and they just felt like rocks in my tummy, squashing my appetite further. But 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter didn't feel so harsh in my stomach.

When I don't eat enough I get these awful headaches (which I know means I need to eat) but I'm having a really hard time. I take a multivitamin in the morning, but I know I'm not getting enough calories to function. I feel it in how sluggish I move and in how dulled my thinking is.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on what/how I can eat enough to function despite this depression? Open to any and all ideas.
Ice cream 🍨 try not to binge, but yeah it helps boosting Ur mood too. You can have mashed potatoes or soft cheese or anything with the same consistency if you prefer

Reactions: emptyenvelopes
DunnoWhyButYeah

DunnoWhyButYeah

~*-*~
Apr 3, 2020
I drink protein drinks or drinks like nuttrilet what are for weight loss, because it's easier to me drink something fast than actually eat something and with those I can "eat" atleast something.

Reactions: heavyeyes, fwompie, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 3 others
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
I eat toast and jam or marmite, or cream crackers. And bananas.

Reactions: heavyeyes and emptyenvelopes

Jun 14, 2023
i usually eat warm soup and some bread if i have no appetite. feeling warm lightens up my mood a bit when i feel awful and eating some carbs can help with not feeling tired all the time. maybe it can help you too.

Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I drink protein drinks or drinks like nuttrilet what are for weight loss, because it's easier to me drink something fast than actually eat something and with those I can "eat" atleast something.
I second this. No dishes or clean up required! Liquids are easier to consume than solids when I'm depressed, especially if my anxiety is pronounced (usually is when I'm having a depressive episode.)

Canned or instant soup too, especially miso. I second crackers, also fruit or bread.

I find it key to at least commend myself for trying or doing what I can rather than beating myself up for not "eating like I should." Stress shrinks my appetite and negative self-talk seems to compound my stress.

Reactions: heavyeyes, _AllCatsAreGrey_, emptyenvelopes and 1 other person
C

catnowmeowmeow

Jul 16, 2024
I've been living on a lot of Greek yoghurt

Reactions: heavyeyes, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and emptyenvelopes
I

imissmycat

Jul 19, 2024
Yogurt, beer, maybe boiled eggs if you can be bothered. Sandwiches are easy but I'm not a fan personally.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Scrambled egg, with lots of butter mixed in. Overnight oats. Bananas and berries. And very weirdly, I love tinned mushrooms when I'm feeling really low (sadly not magic mushrooms, although I might've just thought of a new business plan)…

I also second the protein / weight loss drinks, it takes the away the need to think if you're getting basic nutrients (as long as they're not an 'every meal' replacement).

Reactions: heavyeyes, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and emptyenvelopes
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
+1 for overnight oats!!!

I have found using a calorie counting app helps me. I can be all over the place. And I have crap awareness/memory. I am active so know I need to keep up my nutrition to be able to keep up my activity levels. It would hit me so hard if my strength decreased or I couldn't maintain my sessions etc. With the app I can see more 'logically'/factually if I am way up or down for the day - when I know I need to force some high calories stuff down or when I need to reign in the binge urges. It also helps me plan meals as I might pre-program them so ideas are noted down so when it comes to prep/cooking, the decision was already made.

I also have discovered the air fryer in the past year. Game changer for cooking without needing to remember/constantly check - and often quicker and less faff - especially cooking healthily for 1.

Reactions: heavyeyes, emptyenvelopes, Cloud Busting and 1 other person
emptyenvelopes

emptyenvelopes

Jun 15, 2024
Do you have any recommendations for good protein drinks? I have a super low based knowledge when it comes to this type of food. Like I've seen big jugs of protein powder, do you have to buy the powder and then mix it with something to make a drink? Or do you buy the drinks already premade?
Scrambled egg, with lots of butter mixed in. Overnight oats. Bananas and berries. And very weirdly, I love tinned mushrooms when I'm feeling really low (sadly not magic mushrooms, although I might've just thought of a new business plan)…

I also second the protein / weight loss drinks, it takes the away the need to think if you're getting basic nutrients (as long as they're not an 'every meal' replacement).
I've actually never made scrambled eggs butter, I have always just added a little milk and salt and pepper. do you add the butter as you're scrambling the eggs before they go into the fry pan? Or afterwards when they're all cooked?
I second this. No dishes or clean up required! Liquids are easier to consume than solids when I'm depressed, especially if my anxiety is pronounced (usually is when I'm having a depressive episode.)

Canned or instant soup too, especially miso. I second crackers, also fruit or bread.

I find it key to at least commend myself for trying or doing what I can rather than beating myself up for not "eating like I should." Stress shrinks my appetite and negative self-talk seems to compound my stress.
That's really good idea, thank you for the self compassion reminder. Also, do they sell premade miso soup and stores? I live in the US. I've only ever seen me at restaurants, but if they have premade miso soup, that sounds fantastic.
I eat toast and jam or marmite, or cream crackers. And bananas.
What's a cream cracker? I am from the US, so maybe that's a food uncommon to where I live? Because we don't have marmite where I live, but I have heard of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavyeyes
Somebody

Somebody

The Answer is 42
Feb 16, 2021
Do you have any recommendations for good protein drinks? I have a super low based knowledge when it comes to this type of food. Like I've seen big jugs of protein powder, do you have to buy the powder and then mix it with something to make a drink? Or do you buy the drinks already premade?

I've actually never made scrambled eggs butter, I have always just added a little milk and salt and pepper. do you add the butter as you're scrambling the eggs before they go into the fry pan? Or afterwards when they're all cooked?
You can make a easy smoothie if you have a blender. I chuck in like a banana, some strawberries or other fruits, some soy milk a little water, some peanut powder from costco ( Its really good ), and if you want some pea protein power. I mean it's whatever you want. You can add a little honey for sweetness or some oats to make it thicker. It all takes like 5mins to make and easy cleanup.

_AllCatsAreGrey_

_AllCatsAreGrey_

(they/he)
Mar 4, 2024
This one is a personal favorite.
71 D2HdyMwL

Reactions: Cloud Busting, heavyeyes and emptyenvelopes
fwompie

fwompie

pit rat
Aug 9, 2023
Little meals with different types of nutrition throughout the day. Handful of nuts here, bowl of yoghurt, a few grapes, a whole cucumber, crackers. Easy food to grab and to munch away on whilst still getting some nutrients. I've lived on crackers yoghurt and raw fruit n vegetables for so long now (tbf, I still live with my parents so luckily they still don't mind that I eat dinner with them)

Reactions: Cloud Busting, heavyeyes, emptyenvelopes and 1 other person
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
What's a cream cracker? I am from the US, so maybe that's a food uncommon to where I live? Because we don't have marmite where I live, but I have heard of that.
They're crackers we normally eat with cheese. Saltines, I think you might call them? Not potato chips. Less salty. What I mean is anything that can be eaten dry without preparation that isn't actual junk food.

Reactions: emptyenvelopes and heavyeyes
heavyeyes

heavyeyes

Oct 9, 2022
As someone who has the same problem during bad depression spells these are all really useful suggestions and I'm going to borrow a lot of them personally 👍

I hope you feel better and please take care 🫂💞

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: thebelljarrr, emptyenvelopes, Cloud Busting and 1 other person
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Totally agree with @okuhvtuji as far as ice cream is my go to. It is loaded with sugar and fat and I could care less. The cool creaminess of it is not only relaxing but lifts my spirits so much.

You are a wonderful friend and I wish you the very best always.

Walter

Reactions: emptyenvelopes and Cloud Busting
bianbianbianbian

bianbianbianbian

“Wilt and die. Only time will try to remember you”
Jun 10, 2022

I stopped eating for a good few weeks and somehow dropped 10 pounds and the first thing I thought to eat after a little while was Hello Panda Cookie Snacks. Mostly wanted them cause they were cute and distracted me but I think the important thing is to just start eating, especially if you tend to get caught up and insecure when trying to maintain a healthy diet. It's good to make sure you work on that too, but not eating at all is not healthy at all :)

• Hugs
Reactions: emptyenvelopes, whywere and Cloud Busting
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023

Protein powder is usually used to make smoothies or in baking (e.g. granola bars, pancakes, brownies, ect.) I'm too lazy to do that when I'm stressed personally lol.

I used to drink orgain, but I switched to owyn. Not only does the latter drink contain 0 sugar and more protein, it tastes way better.

You can find protein shakes near the pharmacy of department stores usually. Costco and Amazon sell them in bulk.

I melt butter on a pan before adding eggs.
That's really good idea, thank you for the self compassion reminder.

A therapist suggested nutrition drinks to me. I judged myself for being too lazy to eat a proper meal and she pointed out how hard on myself I was being. I only saw her for 2 or 3 sessions but that stuck with me.

And you're welcome!

Also, do they sell premade miso soup and stores?

Yes. Health food stores and Asian markets have them. You can often find them in Asian or health food aisles at grocery stores too, but not all markets carry them (in my state anyway; I'm also in the US.) Costco and Amazon carries them in bulk.

…We don't have marmite where I live, but I have heard of that.
A local food bank happened to have it once. I've ordered it on Amazon since. It makes great gravy and I like it on toast. Try at your own risk tho; a lot of ppl hate it.

I stopped eating for a good few weeks and somehow dropped 10 pounds and the first thing I thought to eat after a little while was Hello Panda Cookie Snacks. Mostly wanted them cause they were cute and distracted me but I think the important thing is to just start eating, especially if you tend to get caught up and insecure when trying to maintain a healthy diet. It's good to make sure you work on that too, but not eating at all is not healthy at all :)

This is so important.

I've been so stressed I gave myself tmj or stomach problems, and just embracing the situation and meeting myself where I'm at and at least eating something is more helpful than beating myself up or being black and white ("Might as well not eat!")

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
My depression go-to is McDonald's, ice cream, or something to heat up in the microwave

Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
You need Bovril for gravy (unless you're vegetarian). But yes, here in the UK we describe things as being like Marmite i.e. you either love it or hate it. There's an Australian version called Vegemite but with huge apologies to my antipodean friends, it's just not the same.

Reactions: Cloud Busting and emptyenvelopes
sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Experienced
Dec 14, 2023
A general rule of thumb I've learned is:
1. Relatively bland, mild flavors.
2. Easy to chew (or not chewable at all) and easy to swallow. Uniform texture.
3. Doesn't require any or very little effort to prepare.
4. Anything is better than nothing, so it doesn't really matter exactly what it is. Skip the health aspect, it just adds even more stress.

Some of my go-to's: white bread without crust. Yoghurt. Chocolate and/or vanilla pudding. Milk. This one brand of pre-made tomato soup. Digestives. Protein milkshakes (although, be careful with those. If you don't consume enough fat but too much protein you'll trigger starvation). Ice cream.

Right now I'm living off of vanilla yoghurt with granola, white bread with sandwhich kaviar (it's a paste made from smoked cod roe, which is a very weird thing to eat when you have no appetite, I have no idea what's up with that lmao) and lemon sorbet.

Reactions: emptyenvelopes and Ash
DunnoWhyButYeah

DunnoWhyButYeah

~*-*~
Apr 3, 2020
I just buy premade one's so it's easier 😊