T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Depending where I'd go I used to often go at times I new they marked the price down on products coming up to the date.
Because my heads been up my arse only over Christmas I had to go to a different store and landed lucky picked up say £50 worth of food for £12.
It can really make a difference to your life if you have limited funds I know some other people here are still having to work.
Its also a hobby as sad as it sounds you'd feel the universe was actually kind when you land two thick salmon fillets for 79p as opposed to normally paying £3.50 minimum.

It has only occurred to me today for the hole year I've been walking two hours a day I could have been checking some distant shops. Since the local closed. I just got that I was wasting my effort routinely carrying bags from supermarket until I started deliveries which are a life charger. But finding some bargains gives you a good feeling.
Anyone else do this? If you're not fussy with dates it's a idea for some of you maybe, like yogurts can be ate a week after the 'expiration'. And you can freeze a lot of stuff.

Reactions: NearlyIrrelevantCake and OrcWitch
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
Mhm, I like buying marked down meat and dairy products that are about to hit their expiration. Or marked down deli items that they try to get rid of in the last few hours of being open.

Reactions: TooConscious
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
If you're down to dig through dumpsters a bit, the ones behind Aldi always have the best stuff. Trader Joe's too if you're ever near one of those.

Reactions: TooConscious, NearlyIrrelevantCake and OrcWitch
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
If you're down to dig through dumpsters a bit, the ones behind Aldi always have the best stuff. Trader Joe's too if you're ever near one of those.
Well I wasn't speaking of literal bins but I was actually homeless for some time but because I had a severe alcohol dependancy I had no appetite for food so never ended up doing this bit I know some. People. Used to get steaks and all sorts from marks and Spencer waste dustbins, also takeaways apparently. Throw away alot of scraps.
I actually used to do my shopping at aldi last year so if I ever go back to going in store I'll just go the back door rather than the front lol.
Mhm, I like buying marked down meat and dairy products that are about to hit their expiration. Or marked down deli items that they try to get rid of in the last few hours of being open.
Exactly it will usually keep another day or two with absolutely no change if it hasn't been at the front of the shelf for a week and had many people's gruby paws squeezing it and shit.
I buy what I can and freeze it. I never waste anything it's not in my nature with growing up with nothing.
I just got yohgurts for 30p from £1.50. So 1/5th the price. But then soft arse spent full price on the milk. Lol

Last edited:
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I just go to the Iceland store for my shopping online. I can't go to food stores in person anymore. I even get convenience store stuff delivered if I run out of the necessities like bread and milk. I'm not really concerned about saving money to be honest because I know my days are numbered anyway, but if it gives you an interest then go for it.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
You a smart shopper, it seems like.

If you want to decrease your expenses even more, try to stop seeing food as entertainment, meaning that it doesn't have to taste all that good, and not be expensive either. Also, you can probably cut down on the amount of times that you eat per day to just one. For example, you can eat a few deciliters of boiled red lentils at lunch or dinner time. You can probably not find any cheaper protein source, and they are also high in protein. If you want to add carbohydrates to that, you could add rice, and maybe some butter or mayonnaise if you want to add fat.

You could keep up with this or similar cheap diets during the week days, and then buy a delicious steak on one of the weekend days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lost Magic and TooConscious
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
You a smart shopper, it seems like.

If you want to decrease your expenses even more, try to stop seeing food as entertainment, meaning that it doesn't have to taste all that good, and not be expensive eather. Also, you can probably cut down on the amount of times that you eat per day to just one. For example you can eat a few deciliters of boiled red lentils at lunch or dinner time. You can probably not find any cheaper protein source, and they are also high in protein. If you want to add carbohydrates to that, you could add rice, and maybe some butter or mayonnaise if you want to add fat.

You could keep up with this or similar cheap diets during the week days, and then buy a delicious steak on one of the weekend days.
I am on the last portion of a bowl of chilli ginger and honey red lentils chick peas and butter beans olive oil I made. You are right, I like your thinking but when the stuff is reduced like chicken breast for a quarter the price it's a win win.
500g of lentils actually costs me 1.15.
You eat that in one?
That seems alot. Would be like a tub of chocolates size pan after boiling. I suppose we all have our eats. Like I've just ate 450g of yohgurt 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Julgran
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I am on the last portion of a bowl of chilli ginger and honey red lentils chick peas and butter beans olive oil I made. You are right, I like your thinking but when the stuff is reduced like chicken breast for a quarter the price it's a win win.
500g of lentils actually costs me 1.15.
You eat that in one?
That seems alot. Would be like a tub of chocolates size pan after boiling. I suppose we all have our eats. Like I've just ate 450g of yohgurt 😂

I currently eat 2 deciliters of red lentils every day, because I'm trying to eat healthier, but I'm calculating that I wouldn't need more than 3 deciliters, which is about 300 grams, to receive my daily intake of proteins. Those 3 deciliters would cost me 1,06 Euros, or 1,18 American Dollars.

Last edited:
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
I currently year 2 deciliters of red lentils every day, because I'm trying to eath healthier, but I'm calculating that I wouldn't need more than 3 deciliters, which is about 300 grams, to receive my daily intake of proteins. Those 3 deciliters would cost me 1,06 Euros, or 1,18 American Dollars.
Me too, for a year I've been trying to be healthier, I used to think prepping them was too much effort but when you have a podcast on just set your alarm and its not like having greasy burnt pans to deal with. Soups and all sorts can be done they are a great solid source of protein quality aminos too.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Me too, for a year I've been trying to be healthier, I used to think prepping them was too much effort but when you have a podcast on just set your alarm and its not like having greasy burnt pans to deal with. Soups and all sorts can be done they are a great solid source of protein quality aminos too.

Red lentils take aboue 3 minutes to boil. Do you mean that you use them as part of bigger meals?

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Red lentils take aboue 3 minutes to boil. Do you mean that you use them as part of bigger meals?
The ones I get simmer for 30 minutes. But yes I often tend to have several things in each meal. If I boiled these under five some would still be tough

Reactions: Julgran