itsbigbraintime

itsbigbraintime

SN Wizard
Feb 14, 2020
I didn't really know where else to put this, so why not here? Yeah, so I pulled my head out of my ass and decided to schedule an appointment with a therapist for the first time. Completely uncharted territory, no idea what to expect. I hope I figure out what the fuck is causing me to be the way I am, and I have the opportunity to fix it. What is your guys' experience with therapy??

Anyway, proud of myself, I guess. Wanted to tell you guys.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sadstuffie, FrozenMango, CC123 and 11 others
lonelygirl111

lonelygirl111

i don’t know what i’m doing anymore
Sep 20, 2022
proud of you and wish you the best of luck with your first appt!!! usually the first appointment is just a general intake where your therapist asks you a range of questions to get to know you (pretty basic stuff but some go more in depth even at the first session) you should try to be as honest as possible but only do/say as much as you are comfortable with. you can always say more in future sessions when you feel more comfortable so don't feel like you have to rush or force yourself.

• Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death, betternever2havbeen and itsbigbraintime
brokensea

brokensea

Arcanist
Aug 4, 2022
I had a horrible last therapist but this new one I just started seeing seems nice. He seems genuine and doesn't just say a bunch of stupid stuff you're supposed to say. It's good you're trying it out. Sometimes can take a few to find the right person or can get lucky the first time and find someone good.

• Hugs
Reactions: FrozenMango and Cathy Ames
B

betternever2havbeen

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
That's great news! I hope it is helpful for you. I haven't tried therapy yet, I have looked into it and I know who to go with I just dunno whether to take the plunge or not and I'm fearful how much to give away about myself.

hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
let us know how it goes, my wife is pushing me really hard to start therapy again, I may give up and go eventually even if I do not like it very much. In the past I had the feeling we kept discussing about things over and over again, he was giving me some positivism but he did not teach me anything to stop ruminating, to address my anger.

Maybe it is a matter of finding a different therapist. I was thinking about trying with a woman the next time. Not sure if gender is important in such things. For sure I would like to have somebody the same age, not young because I would feel embarrassed not older because I would feel like in front of my father and I do not like my father.

Reactions: Zhendou
S

Side-By-Side

Sep 23, 2022
I'm very happy for you that you've taken the first step towards recovery! It is a first huge step to take and I wish you all the best!

Like @betternever2havbeen, I'm quite daunted by the whole process.

I heard that recovery helps when you go for therapy AND see a psychiatrist at the same time (for meds). I understand that it can take a while to find the "right" medication to help with one's mental state...

Girl-shaped Wound

Girl-shaped Wound

In love with a person that doesn't exist
Feb 19, 2022
Prepare to be asked what do you want to achieve in therapy. They expect you to have a precise answer.
I had so many issues (half of them related to undiagnosed mental illness – idiot never suggested or supported my idea to check for ADHD) my therapist had no idea what to do with me and what to focus on.
What type of therapy will you be going to?

• Informative
Reactions: FrozenMango
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Prepare to be asked what do you want to achieve in therapy. They expect you to have a precise answer.
I had so many issues (half of them related to undiagnosed mental illness – idiot never suggested or supported my idea to check for ADHD) my therapist had no idea what to do with me and what to focus on.
What type of therapy will you be going to?
I do not know what my answer would. Shall I tell him/her to ask my wife that is pushing me to do it?

Girl-shaped Wound

Girl-shaped Wound

In love with a person that doesn't exist
Feb 19, 2022
I do not know what my answer would. Shall I tell him/her to ask my wife that is pushing me to do it?
Sure, if that is the truth. They will drill you with more questions, since they will say it's not a good reason to be in therapy.

hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
Sure, if that is the truth. They will drill you with more questions, since they will say it's not a good reason to be in therapy.
I do not trust therapy that much, I tried for two and half years without much progress... well maybe some minor progress on some irrelevant stuff but not much

Capsaicin78

Capsaicin78

Full time failure
May 4, 2022
Great to hear. Really hope it will help you in the best way possible.

Stay strong✌️

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Good work, and good luck. If I had one recommendation: remember a therapist is a person, not a diagnostic AI program. Some are good, some are shit. They will have their own viewpoints, biases, history, etc. etc. that will inform how they approach, respond to, and work with you. "Therapy" is often touted as this essential monolithic thing to do when you're having a bad time in life, but like most things, it's more complicated than people make it seem. You have to find one who works for you, has the skills you need, is affordable, and whatever else to get the job done.