I

ilovemybed

Dec 5, 2022
i finally reached out to my gov mental health clinic for a psych visit and its due on 29th december. this is my first time going to see a psychiatrist. so people who had any experience, any tips on what i should and shouldnt do on a psych visit? do i just talk about my current mess straight away or do i just wait for the doctor to ask questions? honestly i think my mouth would go speechless bcs i wouldnt even know where to start.

• Hugs
Reactions: donealready and Someone123
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Psychiatrists often see medication as the main treatment, that's what they focus on- I personally would recommend against any medication- I was on medicsation like this for a few months and it gave me permanent ringing in the ears- these medications often have bad side effects. My opinion is that you're much better off seeing a psychologist, someone who will help you talk through your problems, and not try to solve them with medication. The main causes of depression are loneliness, money/career/school problems, physiclal health problems, and addictions. I know you swound excited and I don't want to bring you down, but a psychiatrist makes the most money by getting you on medications and by doing hospitalizations- I would resist both of those. Some psych0ologists are helpful and some are not. Yo9ur best source of support is a netwqork of family and friends that care bout you, that's the real solution. I would focus on doing whatever I could for getting friends and family who care bout you. Youtibe has many videos on how to make friends that may help. I am worried that your hopes are too high for this psychiatrist, normally they want to put you on meds and possibly hospitalize you to maximize profit- if you could see a psychologist instead, someone who ideally is focused on helping you with how to build a network of support of friends and/or family, that would likely help you a lot more. I don't mean to be a downer but I am just trying to help you to protect yourself and to help yourself. Medications will not give you friends, or improve your career situation, or help your finances. Keep in mind that they push medications due to the profit they make, they will try any way they can to manipulate you to get you on medications- just forewarning you because psychology is a better answer than psychiatry in most cases.

Reactions: squarely, lachrymost, 710 and 1 other person
Pentobarbital_Plz

Pentobarbital_Plz

STOP HAVING KIDS!!!
Oct 28, 2022
Your first visit is usually an interrogation, basically. They're gonna have you fill out forms and/or ask you a million questions. Background information, health conditions, history of mental illness/symptoms, history of self harm/suicidal ideation/attempts, history of trauma, etc.

Be as honest and open as you desire. You don't have to tell them everything.

If this is your first interaction with a mental health professional, feel things out and make sure you are comfortable with the psychiatrist. Some of them seem to get it and do their best, and some of them simply stick you on pills, send you away, and collect their ¢heck.

Don't have too high of expectations for mental health care.

Reactions: lachrymost and Someone123
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Don't have too high of expectations for mental health care.
Sadly, the real situation is that most psychiatrists want to exploit you for money- by getting you addicted to pills and possibly by hospitalizing you. PLease do not give in on medications or hospitalizations. Please know they if you tell them you are suicidal and you have the means to do this they can put you in the hospital for weeks against your will, and they are paid very well for this. Your hopes sound high, but you would be better off seeing a psycholigist to talk about your problems rather than to see a psychiatrist, who will push you every way they can to accept medications- for your own sake plpease don't accept the medications- they don't help you to get friends, they don't help you to get a good career, and they don't help physical health problems. I am worried that your high hopes set you up to be exploited. I hope you can find a good path to recovery somehow, through friends, family, and possibly a psychologist.

Last edited:
Seiko

Seiko

"Nothing's gonna hurt you, baby."
Jul 9, 2021
Make sure your insurance is covering everything that needs to be covered. Bring clothes and your own toiletries—but make sure what you're bringing in is allowed (i.e., alcohol-free mouthwash). Know their rules; I somehow thought I'd be able to be on my phone, but it was a no-go. Expect a complete lack of privacy, it is what it is.

And the biggest tip I have is to know that you may not be able to go home when you say you want to go home, even if you're going voluntarily. You do give up some of your rights by going into a psych ward. This is what destroyed me.

• Aww..
Reactions: Un-