I

ilivebecuzicantdie

Mar 6, 2022
This is about school.

Basically it's August which means I now need to decide if I'm gonna take college classes or not.

To talk about my journey with college so far, I went right after high school mostly because my parents would've roasted me if I did not even though I knew I was not mentally ready for it.

And I failed all my classes - no surprise there.

For the next semester after that my parents were still iffy about letting me not go to college so I signed up for an ASL class. 5 minutes before it, I realized I could not mentally do it and so I only went to the first class and never went again.

My parents are much more open now to letting me not go to college and in fact I've already told my family that I'm not going back this semester.

Yet as it approaches I do actually kinda wanna go back but I'm struggling with what I should study.

I originally went to college for geology and its something I'm still super passionate about and honestly the only thing I really want to have a career in, in the future. However I am horrible at math (which I need) so I (kind of) gave it up.

But now I'm just looking at the list of classes and there's just nothing super interesting to me except a few classes that I wouldn't even get a major in and I'm like should I really take classes for these things if I'm not gonna major?

I don't know, I'm just also worried financially and that half way through my mental health will again suck and then I'll just struggle through.

So I don't know whether to take classes because I do really want to but I wouldn't be doing it for any major and I might just end up wasting money xD

Sorry this was all over the place and I feel like I didn't even fully put everything I wanted to xD

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Mental illneses and college do not go hand in hand well. And dropping out, the debts and money loss is just as depressing to pay off. Annoying how college is set up in a way that makes it almost impossible to take a break without falling behind.

Picking a major, I agree, is frustrating enough. Doing one task over and over again as a job, even if you love it, there is a valid fear of burnout.

Maybe could you try doing free short random couses online; just whatever interests you for the time being and enjoying learning random things just for the sake of knowledge? It could help you practice study skills without the looming pressure of deadlines and grades.

I

ilivebecuzicantdie

Mar 6, 2022
Mental illneses and college do not go hand in hand well. And dropping out, the debts and money loss is just as depressing to pay off. Annoying how college is set up in a way that makes it almost impossible to take a break without falling behind.

Picking a major, I agree, is frustrating enough. Doing one task over and over again as a job, even if you love it, there is a valid fear of burnout.

Maybe could you try doing free short random couses online; just whatever interests you for the time being and enjoying learning random things just for the sake of knowledge? It could help you practice study skills without the looming pressure of deadlines and grades.
Thank you for introducing the idea of short random courses online - I did not know they were a thing. I already have 3 I want to do now xD cause I mainly wanted to go to college because I do want to learn but I don't know what I want to major in yet and I don't wanna waste money on something I may decide not to major in.

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest