redisblue

redisblue

"cut me clean, till i can't think anymore."
Feb 12, 2023
Hey everybody. I'm currently on holiday with my parents in another country. We arrived today and we shall be staying for 10 days. I've been to this place before and it's amazing; so many things to do and so many nice memories to make. This is my first proper holiday in many years. The problem I'm having is that during the lead up to this holiday, I didn't feel excited; I actually somewhat was dreading it. I felt like it was going to be a chore, which isn't normal for me because I've always enjoyed holidays and felt super excited for them. So far, things have gone horribly. There's been arguments and disagreements and petty comments made about one another. My father told me I need to watch my calories (saying I should watch what I eat at my age) even though I'm an underweight and stick-like person. I've struggled as well in the past with eating and food and calories, so I didn't need that bullshit. Both my father and my mother have also just sort of ignored me anytime I ask a question or try to join in on a conversation. At dinner, I kept trying to speak but constantly got interrupted. This is pretty normal, but I want so badly to not feel like shit and not feel invisible. I wish these little things didn't get to me. Is it stupid to be upset at that? I dunno, I'm used to it so I probably shouldn't be upset. Last time I was here as a kid, they wouldn't ignore me. I love my parents so much but it really does just feel like there was no point in me coming here. I would have said no but they refuse to let me stay home alone for even a day (I don't blame them honestly). I wish I was excited for this holiday, my parents are getting older and they may not be able to do a lot of things they plan to do here very soon, and my father has been so so excited for months; I don't want to ruin the mood. I really don't want to be here. I want everyone to have a good time. I also want to have a good time, but I just feel numb. I don't feel excited for anything. This is a once in probably 10 years opportunity too. How can I hype myself up and also not let my parents get to me? Maybe there's nothing I can even do. Our room is on the top floor, it's very high up and it's so tempting to jump off. I keep looking over contemplating whether or not I should just do it. But like I said, I don't want to ruin this for anybody, so I don't think I will. It's just really tempting. Also, leading up to this trip I've been feeling super dysphoric and it's getting worse everyday. I don't want to be dysphoric on holiday. I don't want to be suicidal on holiday. I don't want to be numb on holiday. Has this happened for anybody else?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: liffey, kitty_kat, OutOfTheVoid and 1 other person
trist

trist

Student
Mar 21, 2023
ever since i started getting depressed i haven't been able to enjoy holidays, so you're not alone in that. i'm sorry you're feeling like this. i wish i could offer some words of advice but i sadly have none. i know it's hard, but i hope you'll be able to enjoy it regardless.

• Love
Reactions: redisblue
O

OutOfTheVoid

she/her
Feb 10, 2023
im sorry, that sounds really draining. i dont have any advice, but i hope your holiday gets better 💜

• Love
redisblue

redisblue

Feb 12, 2023
ever since i started getting depressed i haven't been able to enjoy holidays, so you're not alone in that. i'm sorry you're feeling like this. i wish i could offer some words of advice but i sadly have none. i know it's hard, but i hope you'll be able to enjoy it regardless.
I'm glad I'm not alone, although I'm sorry that you've also had to feel the same. It's okay that you have no advice, just knowing I'm not alone brings me a bit of comfort :) Thank you, sending lots of hugs and love :D
im sorry, that sounds really draining. i dont have any advice, but i hope your holiday gets better 💜
Thank you; it's okay! Sending lots of hugs and love :]

• Love
Reactions: kitty_kat, Yozo_oba, trist and 1 other person
Yozo_oba

Yozo_oba

"When I go out, I hope I go just as beutifully"
Mar 11, 2023
This happens to me quite often. What I've realised is that it's hard to enjoy the little things in life, like holidays, when you don't even enjoy life in the first place. And it's especially hard to enjoy being around family on holidays when they just ignore you and make you feel even worse. I don't really have any professional advice but Often times I just end up forceing myself to "enjoy holidays".
But regardless, I hope you have a great time with you're trip!

• Love
redisblue

redisblue

Feb 12, 2023
This happens to me quite often. What I've realised is that it's hard to enjoy the little things in life, like holidays, when you don't even enjoy life in the first place. And it's especially hard to enjoy being around family on holidays when they just ignore you and make you feel even worse. I don't really have any professional advice but Often times I just end up forceing myself to "enjoy holidays".
But regardless, I hope you have a great time with you're trip!
You put it perfectly!! I'm sorry you feel the same way - although it's comforting knowing that people get me :) I also feel as if I'm trying to force myself to 'enjoy' this as I feel like if I don't, I'll be wasting valuable time away from things like college :/ Thank you so much! Sending lots of hugs and love :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yozo_oba
L

liffey

Feb 14, 2023
I stopped looking forward to holidays and dread them as well. I can't really help, but you aren't alone. Hope you'll enjoy your trip regardless.

• Love
redisblue

redisblue

Feb 12, 2023
I stopped looking forward to holidays and dread them as well. I can't really help, but you aren't alone. Hope you'll enjoy your trip regardless.
Thank you :) I'm sorry you understand :(