asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
I got lucky and found really compassionate and capable therapists who have helped me a lot, to the point where I actually look forward to going to sessions and it's the one thing I look forward to in life

But I'm ctbing soon and I feel really guilty

Is there something I can do? Maybe write some sort of letter? I'm not sure what I'd say

If I stop sessions a week before ctb will they find out? Like maybe if my case ends up on the news or article or something since I'm also going with a partner?

Reactions: Kit1 and hi-okbye
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
If you're set on CTB you could and maybe should terminate with your therapist beforehand. Both therapists and clients drop each other out of the blue all the time. You don't really owe them a detailed explanation beyond you're not longer interested.

As long as they didn't let you go home after you said you were going to CTB that night or something like that, then they're odd the hook for any liability. It's said that most clinicians lose at least one patient or client to suicide over the course of their careers.

It will probably be personally very upsetting to them but that will be the case for everyone in your life and something we have to accept if we are to CTB.

Reactions: Kit1, get.some.sleep, emptymiku and 2 others
asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
O
If you're set on CTB you could and maybe should terminate with your therapist beforehand. Both therapists and clients drop each other out of the blue all the time. You don't really owe them a detailed explanation beyond you're not longer interested.

As long as they didn't let you go home after you said you were going to CTB that night or something like that, then they're odd the hook for any liability. It's said that most clinicians lose at least one patient or client to suicide over the course of their careers.

It will probably be personally very upsetting to them but that will be the case for everyone in your life and something we have to accept if we are to CTB.
okay thank you! Do you think I should write a letter explaining to them that it's not their fault and they helped me a lot? Or would it be better to say nothing

Reactions: Kit1
Golden

Golden

Nov 16, 2023
O

okay thank you! Do you think I should write a letter explaining to them that it's not their fault and they helped me a lot? Or would it be better to say nothing
I'm thinking that writing a note to your therapist wouldn't atleast do any harm ? Could be a good thing to do, not sure tho

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
O

If they're important to you.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
deffinently don't mention ctb, but you can wright a note saying thank you for all the help they gave you. maybe just say you've been getting busy with other stuff, or if you seem well enough for them to believe it, that you feel like your ready enough to leave therapy.

Reactions: Kit1 and Big Cat
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
deffinently don't mention ctb, but you can wright a note saying thank you for all the help they gave you. maybe just say you've been getting busy with other stuff, or if you seem well enough for them to believe it, that you feel like your ready enough to leave therapy.
I think they're talking about a note for their therapist to read after they have CTB.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
I think they're talking about a note for their therapist to read after they have CTB.
ohh, i thought they were talking about a note to say they were leaving therapy.
in that case, just maybe say that stuff during your last session.
in the note you could tell then thank you and stuff. i agree though, leaving beforehand is a good idea. the worst thing would be that your therapist could be held liable and they end up loosing their license. probably not very likely but maybe just leave beforehand in case.

asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
What I want is to reduce the guilt they experience, so if I stop sessions before I go they probably won't know, but there's a chance they find out so I'll write a letter saying it's not their fault and I decided to ctb a long time ago, but if I write a letter then they're bound to find out that I ctb

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
What I want is to reduce the guilt they experience, so if I stop sessions before I go they probably won't know, but there's a chance they find out so I'll write a letter saying it's not their fault and I decided to ctb a long time ago, but if I write a letter then they're bound to find out that I ctb
Well don't inform them in any way you're going to CTB because they'll be forced to intervene.

brownbear

brownbear

Aug 27, 2023
After my attempt my therapist aborted my treatment because I broke our suicide contract.
I later did apologize, he accepted the apology but insisted on not working with me. Which I can absolutely understand, I risked his job for my suicide.
If you're going to ctb I recommend cancelling therapy as to not get your therapist involved.

asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
After my attempt my therapist aborted my treatment because I broke our suicide contract.
I later did apologize, he accepted the apology but insisted on not working with me. Which I can absolutely understand, I risked his job for my suicide.
If you're going to ctb I recommend cancelling therapy as to not get your therapist involved.
Hi, I'm sorry about your therapist dropping you, I will be dropping my therapist before I ctb, I wish I could edit my post bcz I think ppl are misunderstanding me,

✨What I want is to reduce the guilt they experience✨
(Any creative solutions even other than a letter)

so if I stop sessions before I go they probably won't know I ctb, but there's a chance they find out anyways so I'll write a letter (a timed email) saying it's not their fault for a multitude of reasons and I had already decided to ctb many years ago and not even my family and friends can convince me, but if I write a letter then they're bound to find out that I ctb
(I am also not sure what to write in the letter that would reduce guilt properly)

So now I have to figure out if this is a risk I want to take

• Love
Reactions: brownbear and Kit1
lunchbox

lunchbox

Nov 18, 2023
You could write a letter thanking them for their compassion, and provide some reassurance about how it wasn't their fault and they fulfilled their role perfectly. A physical letter if more personable than an email, provides them with a keepsake and you have some time between posting it before it gets delivered.

Keep the letter relative to yours and theirs professional relationship. Don't overwrite it, as it will come across as potentially insincere or manic - be expressive but balanced in your emotions, this will also help them understand how resolute you were and that there was nothing they could do.

Good luck!

asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
You could write a letter thanking them for their compassion, and provide some reassurance about how it wasn't their fault and they fulfilled their role perfectly. A physical letter if more personable than an email, provides them with a keepsake and you have some time between posting it before it gets delivered.

Keep the letter relative to yours and theirs professional relationship. Don't overwrite it, as it will come across as potentially insincere or manic - be expressive but balanced in your emotions, this will also help them understand how resolute you were and that there was nothing they could do.

Good luck!
Thank you! Do you think I should send the letter even if there's a chance they won't find out I ctb? If I send a letter they are bound to find out. The best case scenario is they don't find out at all. But I don't know how this works. Will someone inform an ex-therapist? My name won't end up on a news article right? There's no way they'll find out?

L

livinginhellnation

Nov 19, 2023
I got lucky and found really compassionate and capable therapists who have helped me a lot, to the point where I actually look forward to going to sessions and it's the one thing I look forward to in life

But I'm ctbing soon and I feel really guilty

Is there something I can do? Maybe write some sort of letter? I'm not sure what I'd say

If I stop sessions a week before ctb will they find out? Like maybe if my case ends up on the news or article or something since I'm also going with a partner?
then dont ctb....people who really want to ctb dont really care...

lunchbox

lunchbox

Nov 18, 2023
Do you think I should send the letter even if there's a chance they won't find out I ctb?
That is your decision. If you want them to know, or are worried about them finding out, be explicit about it in the letter. Perhaps it's best if they learn it from you, no?
Will someone inform an ex-therapist?
That is very unlikely. It depends on who will be affected by your suicide and how they might react, which is something only you can judge accurately - but I think it would be very unusual for someone to inform an ex-therapist of a patient suicide.
My name won't end up on a news article right?
Unless you are famous, are locally well known, or choose a rather flamboyant CTB method, I doubt it.
There's no way they'll find out?
If you really don't want them to find out, and to assume you are fine, then do not send them a letter. They will be busy with other patients to assume or worry the worst about you, especially if you come to an agreement beforehand and conclude your work together naturally.

asleep00

asleep00

Nov 11, 2023
then dont ctb....people who really want to ctb dont really care...
That's such a ridiculous thing to say, I don't understand why you would say something like this especially considering I'm already in a crappy place, I can care about how it affects ppl and still ctb anyways, I just want to cause the least amount of problems possible, it is not my fault that ppl view ctb the way they do
That is your decision. If you want them to know, or are worried about them finding out, be explicit about it in the letter. Perhaps it's best if they learn it from you, no?

That is very unlikely. It depends on who will be affected by your suicide and how they might react, which is something only you can judge accurately - but I think it would be very unusual for someone to inform an ex-therapist of a patient suicide.

Unless you are famous, are locally well known, or choose a rather flamboyant CTB method, I doubt it.

If you really don't want them to find out, and to assume you are fine, then do not send them a letter. They will be busy with other patients to assume or worry the worst about you, especially if you come to an agreement beforehand and conclude your work together naturally.
Thank you for your direct answer, I think it's best to not make a letter, I can only hope they won't find out, I do not want to risk them finding out

Last edited: