F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Anyone else read that (self help) book? Seems kind of ironic that I know I'm going to have to use that very sentiment if I ever do CTB.

Reactions: Tonkpils, sevennn, heavyeyes and 3 others
covwillgo

covwillgo

Sep 27, 2024
reading is unbearable

• Yay!
Reactions: rollingthunder, LifeQuitter, ijustwishtodie and 2 others
Unknown21

Unknown21

?/?/2024
Apr 25, 2023
I thought about that before, I also read that to overcome anxiety you must transform it into fear because anxiety is a future fear while fear is related to the present.

• Informative
Reactions: heavyeyes and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I thought about that before, I also read that to overcome anxiety you must transform it into fear because anxiety is a future fear while fear is related to the present.

That's interesting. Probably true as well. The fear of feeling fear can sometimes be worse. When we are actually in the awful situation, we just have to deal with it or, not. That's what I'm (probably naively) hoping. That suicide won't end up being all that scary. That I won't experience SI. I think I may be kidding myself...

Reactions: Unknown21
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
"The only way is through" ~ is the same like saying "need to go through dying to be dead". I bought the book half a year ago as an ironic purchase while feeling suicidal lol. When you really think about it, many self help advice could be applied to suicide. But I guess that you could say it about anything, like a therapist helping a retired thief to recover from depression and then with his newfound therapeutic tools in his disposal, he returns back to stealing. How I see it, the self help industry is about money, not about bettering society - we pay for the book, and the the author gets some of the royalty money and that's how the transaction ends and we're free to use the knowledge for better or worse however we choose so.

Reactions: Forever Sleep, Reflection, sevennn and 2 others
D

DOHARDTHINGS24

Experienced
Apr 30, 2024
Anyone else read that (self help) book? Seems kind of ironic that I know I'm going to have to use that very sentiment if I ever do CTB.
Fuck me. I read that book almost 30 years ago & found it extremely patronising & out of touch with my life & circumstances - given it to read by someone that really, really wanted me to know that DV was my fault. My dad, my husband, I caused it all.
Books change with your age & your life & you appreciate them more or less etc. But that one always stayed on my "cannot be bothered giving it another chance" list because I remember just hating it. There's a chance I might love it now, who knows??
But my point, finally, sorry
Is that I fucking love the idea of appropriating something that really pissed me off to help me catch my bus.
A circle, a loose end & a big fuck you in case I was right & the book really was a pile of shit.
And apologies to anyone that loved it. Or if I read it wrong because I was young & angry about why I had it in the first place.
And a big thank you to you OP ♥️ - It wouldn't have occurred to me on my own but I can see that spurring me on but maybe also giving me a laugh while I'm at it. 🤣

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Tonkpils