O

Orsubofo

Aug 6, 2020
So here it is. I already have the shotgun. A 20 guage with slugs and buckshot. Im cruising thru the Pacific Northwest, spending the very last of my money. There are huge state and national parks around here. Long, long hiking trails and logger roads. What is the reality of hiking out into the deep woods with my gun and cbt in an area where i will not be found until the elements have stripped me down to the bones? Is this a fantasy? Is some hiker almost for sure gonna find my headless corpse the next day?

Reactions: Deleted member 65988 and Rocket1Rocket1
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think it is possible if you are deep enough into the woods without any service or signal, under the cover of darkness, and also dense forest, hard for people to reach easily. Nowadays, even forest rangers and other people who run or are in charge of the area have a good chance of finding someone before they completely decompose. I do believe that as far as successfully CTB'ing, you would likely succeed, especially under the conditions described. It is possible that some hiker "may" find your corpse, depending on whether the hiker goes on the trail that crosses the place where you CTB'd.

Reactions: autumnal and Orsubofo
O

Orsubofo

Aug 6, 2020
I think it is possible if you are deep enough into the woods without any service or signal, under the cover of darkness, and also dense forest, hard for people to reach easily. Nowadays, even forest rangers and other people who run or are in charge of the area have a good chance of finding someone before they completely decompose. I do believe that as far as successfully CTB'ing, you would likely succeed, especially under the conditions described. It is possible that some hiker "may" find your corpse, depending on whether the hiker goes on the trail that crosses the place where you CTB'd.
I wrote "cbt" instead of CTB, twice lol. Im so dumb.
Any definitive reason for me to use slugs vs buckshot? I've read conflicting ideas on that.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
If you are way out in some woods it's unlikely you'll be found fast. Whether or not you will ever be found is hard to say. You never know when someone may wander through a particular area, and if that section of woods is searched for some reason then the chances of you being found go up a lot. Overall it is possible to never be found, but I wouldn't really count on it. If you are able to walk to that area anyone else can too.

Reactions: Fragile and Lorntroubles
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I wrote "cbt" instead of CTB, twice lol. Im so dumb.
Any definitive reason for me to use slugs vs buckshot? I've read conflicting ideas on that.
No worries, it's a common typo that people make, but I know what you meant. As for slugs vs buckshot, well slugs have more recoil and certain ones require you have to a rifled barrel (a sabot slug requires a rifled barrel) whereas a regular slug doesn't. Buckshot is still very powerful though less recoil than slugs and larger pellets. #4, 00 buckshot is the way to go.

Reactions: autumnal
O

Orsubofo

Aug 6, 2020
It'll be next to impossible start my trek at night. I have little experience out here and I'm concerned the dark, thick woods will break my nerves. Imagine going out there with a gun and getting ripped apart by Bigfoot

• Hugs
Reactions: Grav and Soul
L

Leaving Logically

Aug 1, 2020
I also want to disappear forever, never to be found. Since I find this unlikely in a desert or forest, I am planning to do the SN method (or preferably F patches, if I can obtain them) on a slowly deflating raft in the ocean. My body will be tied to weights. That way, even if I fail, I'll still CTB, if perhaps not the way I'd prefer.
I hope your method works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocket1Rocket1 and Soul
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
If you have family or dependents, this can cause extreme legal hardships by not being able to declare you dead, not to mention the uncertainty of what happened to you (e.g. will you walk through the door one day, are you chained in a basement, we're you murdered, etc.)

Reactions: autumnal
L

Leaving Logically

Aug 1, 2020
I have no children, no partner, no living parents and no remaining friends. If this causes my siblings, who haven't spoken to me in years, any problems at all... oh well?

Reactions: Orsubofo
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
It'll be next to impossible start my trek at night. I have little experience out here and I'm concerned the dark, thick woods will break my nerves. Imagine going out there with a gun and getting ripped apart by Bigfoot

If you have zero outdoors skills, you may find the whole scenario problematic.

Reactions: Aap
T

Trulylost

Kinda of in, kind of out. Mostly lost
Dec 9, 2019
Just dropping in to say I'm from PNW☺️

PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
Thanks for this thread. when I hike my favorite redwood grove I think of doing just this. Hiking way off a trail, finding some nice very secluded spot, and CTB. I have to drive to get to this grove, so my car would be found and perhaps they would use dogs to track down my body. The other thing though is I don't want my siblings enduring the unknown. But the thought of just vanishing is so appealing. It's why I'm being cremated and having my ashes scattered. No memorial, no announcement. I just want to leave, body and soul.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I would think the farther and deeper in the woods you can go the better. They looked for DB Cooper for quite a while with a lot of people. I agree with autumnal, if you don't have any outdoor skills there an be issues, especially if you change your mind and are now lost/hurt in the woods. If you know if there are predators in the woods that can speed the process of disappearing.

FYI: From some stories Bigfoot may be a friendly beast and you could hang out together.

speck

speck

Student
May 5, 2020
I think you would be most successful if you consult a map of where you are choosing to enter the woods- where are the trails, where do they overlap etc. Does the park currently allow camping? These are all factors that would lead to pretty rapid discovery. I'd suggest heading towards the back country, but there's no guarantee that there won't be campers out there or that you'd have an easy time navigating it. It's possible to vanish in some place like Olympic NP, but it definitely would take some planning.

B

bigdog

Arcanist
Jul 12, 2020
I think if you do it somewhere far in the woods it is quite possible

O

Orsubofo

Aug 6, 2020
Thank you all so much for replying. Yes, i have limited outdoor skills. I bought a little gear (warm clothes, flashlight, a compass, map of trailheads, etc) this morning. I'm heading out there to "recon" this weekend. Where I can park my car, which trails are the most remote, and maybe even wildlife. If all goes well, I will have everything i need. To hike far enough to go missing.
Now for the part that some of you are really going to dislike. My family is very religious. There is a ritualistic process to the preparation of a deceased body before can be buried under traditional circumstances.My father volunteers his time to prepare recently deceased community members for burial. Pretty much anyone from our old community who died ended up on a slab in front of him, where he scrubs the body with purifying water. He says its a very moving experience, and allows their soul to enter heaven (cue eye roll).
I'm not going to allow that to happen to me. I'm sure performing this ritual would help my dad come to terms with my death. But he's not going to. He's never going to get this closure, because I am spiteful. He, my mother, and my siblings (all grown up) will have to believe my soul is burning in hell. Otherwise they are admitting doubt in their beliefs.
I spent my life wrestling with my cult like religious upbringing and my own search for truth. Because of them. They chose to raise me like that and it ruined my life. The threat of angering god and going to hell for any small infraction was common growing up. Like an ant looking up at an angry kid with light fluid and matches.
I am not going to give them the satisfaction of performing and ritual on me. I will not let them think that they are absolved of their sins.
I want them to wrestle with the thought that their son is going to experience eternal suffering.
3 possiblilities:
1) They dont care about me. Fine. Me neither. No problem.
2) They suffer their entire lives. They pray for my soul daily. They keep posting missing persons notices everywhere. They dont get closure.
3) They challenge their own beliefs. Def not my parents, but maybe one of my sisters, or perhaps one of my nieces or my nephew will see how miserable this lifestyle is and escape. Least likely of all 3 cases but who knows.

TL;DR: I'm hiding my corpse to spite my family. Fight me.

• Love
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995