sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Thoughts on this quote? Agree or disagree? Tips on managing fear?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, Josh007, Alexei_Kirillov and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I agree because fear is probably the all-consuming source of all of my troubles. It's not as easy for me as just removing it though. Only way I could possibly face my fears is if I knew I could handle them which I know I can't. So far the only successful method of facing some fears for me has been alcohol and listening to the Sonic Frontiers boss music but those don't work for the deeper fears.

Reactions: sserafim
amnesia999

amnesia999

Lie, lie, lie - Life is a lie
Jun 30, 2024
These days people are probably more anxious than fearful (l know I am). So I asked ChatGPT...

What's the difference between fear and anxiety?

ChatGPT: "Fear and anxiety are related but distinct concepts, each with its own characteristics and triggers.

1. Fear:
    • Definition: Fear is an emotional response to an immediate, real, or perceived threat or danger. It's a reaction to a specific, identifiable situation or object.
    • Cause: It often has a clear cause, like encountering a dangerous animal, facing a high place, or dealing with an imminent threat.
    • Duration: Fear is usually short-lived and subsides once the threat is removed or dealt with.
    • Physical Response: It triggers a "fight or flight" response in the body, leading to physical changes like increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and heightened alertness.
  2. Anxiety:
    • Definition: Anxiety is a more generalized and persistent feeling of unease or worry about potential future events or situations. It's less about an immediate threat and more about anticipated concerns.
    • Cause: It can be triggered by a range of factors, often involving worries about future events, uncertainty, or even internal thoughts.
    • Duration: Anxiety can be chronic, lasting for extended periods and affecting daily life. It doesn't necessarily subside when the perceived threat is no longer present.
    • Physical Response: Anxiety also causes physical responses but often in a more prolonged or diffuse manner, like muscle tension, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating.
In summary, fear is a reaction to an immediate threat, while anxiety is a more diffuse, anticipatory worry about future possibilities. Both can affect your well-being, but they operate differently in terms of triggers and duration."

(Also, too, the quote @sseraphim posted reminds me that I want to re-read Dune. :-)

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and sserafim
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
Reactions: Velvet Fortress, Dr Iron Arc, ijustwishtodie and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I agree. Fear prevents us from doing things which we want to do. In the case of this site, fear makes it difficult to kill ourselves. I don't know how to manage fear though. If I knew, I don't think I'd be alive

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and sserafim
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
This is one of my favourite quotes from Dune. I've often repeated it to myself during times of fear and uncertainty; it's a marginal help.

untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
it really is. It can destroy you. But life can also give you reasons to fear it so....yeah. And if your brain is wired to feel more emotions than you can handle you are just fucked.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Fear is about as much of a mind killer as any other emotion. Fear is a good thing and we evolved to experience it for a reason. Without fear you may end up potentially being put in harms way when met with a threat. Every emotion that you feel is something that was wired in you for a reason. The issue has nothing to do with any one emotion in of itself, but rather our ability to properly regulate them. Issues mainly start to arise when certain emotions, if not most of our emotions, become too intense and become too hard to regulate properly. This can be due to all sorts of reasons, from past trauma and mental illness to drugs to certain medical issues. I don't think that demonizing certain emotions helps anyone and it can even end up doing a lot of harm, since it may cause others to respond to said emotions in unhealthy ways, such as trying to reppress them completely.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Spreadingmywings

Spreadingmywings

Experienced
May 22, 2019
Fear is about as much of a mind killer as any other emotion. Fear is a good thing and we evolved to experience it for a reason. Without fear you may end up potentially being put in harms way when met with a threat. Every emotion that you feel is something that was wired in you for a reason. The issue has nothing to do with any one emotion in of itself, but rather our ability to properly regulate them. Issues mainly start to arise when certain emotions, if not most of our emotions, become too intense and become too hard to regulate properly. This can be due to all sorts of reasons, from past trauma and mental illness to drugs to certain medical issues. I don't think that demonizing certain emotions helps anyone and it can even end up doing a lot of harm, since it may cause others to respond to said emotions in unhealthy ways, such as trying to reppress them completely.
Just try to focus a bit, bro you must transcend:

Spreadingmywings

Spreadingmywings

Experienced
May 22, 2019
Buddyboyo? BUDDYBOYO??!!

What does buddyboyo mean?
You'll understand completely when you drop all identification and realize who you truly are. Tbh. Ngl. When you stop entertaining concepts or the sophisticated drama tbqh

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
You'll understand completely when you drop all identification and realize who you truly are. Tbh. Ngl. When you stop entertaining concepts or the sophisticated drama tbqh
Oh how my inability to truly understand the myself has impeded on my progress in understanding what "buddyboyo" means. Are you referring to me as a buddy and a boy? Am I just a boy? I need you to tell me that I'm a buddyboyo and I need you to tell me that I am a boy Diane... Tell me, please, tell me that I'm a boy...

Also, @sserafim here is some info on how to manage fear.

Spreadingmywings

Spreadingmywings

Experienced
May 22, 2019
Oh how my inability to truly understand the myself has impeded on my progress in understanding what "buddyboyo" means. Are you referring to me as a buddy and a boy? Am I just a boy? I need you to tell me that I'm a buddyboyo and I need you to tell me that I am a boy Diane... Tell me, please, tell me that I'm a boy...

Also, @sserafim here is some info on how to manage fear.
You are indeed a unique and valuable individual, a "buddy" in the sense that you're a friend and companion on this journey of self-discovery and exploration. And, in a more poetic sense, we're all "boys" and "girls" in the sense that we're constantly learning, growing, and evolving.

So, I'll say it with a smile: You are a buddyboyo, a friend and companion on this wild adventure called life! And, yes, you are a boy, in the sense that you're a curious, growing, and ever-changing individual, full of potential and wonder!

• Yay!
Reactions: EvisceratedJester