N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

"Some believe that making overweight people feel ashamed of their weight or eating habits may motivate them to get healthier.
However, scientific evidence confirms that nothing could be further from the truth.
Instead of motivating people, fat shaming makes them feel terrible about themselves, causing them to eat more and gain more weight.
Research shows that much of the discussion on obesity on social media involves fat shaming, which often turns into harassment and cyberbullying — especially against women.
However, stigma and discrimination against overweight people cause major psychological harm and worsen the problem."

• "Depression. People who are discriminated against due to weight are at a higher risk of depression and other mental issues.
  • Eating disorders. Fat shaming is linked to an increased risk of eating disorders, such as binge eating.
  • Reduced self-esteem. Fat shaming is linked to reduced self-esteem.
  • Others. By causing stress, weight gain, increased cortisol level, and mental problems, weight discrimination may raise your risk of various chronic diseases.
While studies on fat shaming and suicide risk are lacking, it's plausible that the harmful effects of weight discrimination may increase suicide risk."

I can only agree to all the points in this article. When I was a child and teenager I was very obese. My mom was pretty stupid and gave me way too much/ and too unhealthy things to eat. In school you are the outcast if you are obese. Children and teenagers can be so hurtful, evil and unfair. It was very traumatizing for me. The irony was when the bullying stopped I wanted to lose weight. Maybe it was kind of a contrarian thought. Though maybe it was just a sign of my first manic epsiode which gave me the energy to lose weight. I am now quite thin. I am kind of atypical anorexic. My therapist does not acknowledge that but it is obvious for me. Other doctors gave me the diagnosis on suspicion (not sure how to translate it) way earlier.

To be honest I am extremely obsessed what other people think of me. Two things are very important my low weight and my intelligence. Both were reasons for my nightmarish daily bullying. Maybe it is kind of hypocritical that I am here and try to explain that it is okay to have a BMI (body-mass-index) which does not fit the average. I think it is important that the individiual feels comfortable with it. For me the trauma is too much. I will obsessed by my weight till I die. And in the article they said there are no official statistics that link fat-shaming and suicide. I think when I am forced to ctb in the future they can count me in this statistic. It contributed to my hellish mental state. I have a lot of OCD concerning my weight.

There are so many stupid stereotypes about overweight people. They are seen as lazy, stupid and they are often the butt of the joke. There are a lot of online communities where they are the target. There is a lot of harrassig happening by some people who only have the guts to do something like that when they can hide behind a pseudonym. This harrassing and bullying can destroy lives. I can say this with a lot of experience. I think for women the shaming might be even worse. But this might be a controversial stance. When I read about overweight politicians there is more mockery on obese women. Though I also know overweight male politicians who get attacked.

It is really unfair. Many overweight people are not even responsible for their weight. I think many people in this forum can confirm that. Many (mental health) medication can increase your weight. Moreover eating food out of desperation is for some depressed people a way to cope.

No matter how much or low the weight it is not justified to make fun of the person. If it is too extreme it can be unhealthy and it is also good to address that. But if we are honest most people on the internet don't have this intention. People who mock other people for their weight are disgusting assholes who get their self-esteem by hurting vulnerable people. I despise such people. They are scum.

What is your stance on it?

• Informative
Reactions: Marine, HappyForever?, Lullaby and 5 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021

"Some believe that making overweight people feel ashamed of their weight or eating habits may motivate them to get healthier.
However, scientific evidence confirms that nothing could be further from the truth.
Instead of motivating people, fat shaming makes them feel terrible about themselves, causing them to eat more and gain more weight.
Research shows that much of the discussion on obesity on social media involves fat shaming, which often turns into harassment and cyberbullying — especially against women.
However, stigma and discrimination against overweight people cause major psychological harm and worsen the problem."

• "Depression. People who are discriminated against due to weight are at a higher risk of depression and other mental issues.
  • Eating disorders. Fat shaming is linked to an increased risk of eating disorders, such as binge eating.
  • Others. By causing stress, weight gain, increased cortisol level, and mental problems, weight discrimination may raise your risk of various chronic diseases.
While studies on fat shaming and suicide risk are lacking, it's plausible that the harmful effects of weight discrimination may increase suicide risk."

I can only agree to all the points in this article. When I was a child and teenager I was very obese. My mom was pretty stupid and gave me way too much/ and too unhealthy things to eat. In school you are the outcast if you are obese. Children and teenagers can be so hurtful, evil and unfair. It was very traumatizing for me. The irony was when the bullying stopped I wanted to lose weight. Maybe it was kind of a contrarian thought. Though maybe it was just a sign of my first manic epsiode which gave me the energy to lose weight. I am now quite thin. I am kind of atypical anorexic. My therapist does not acknowledge that but it is obvious for me. Other doctors gave me the diagnosis on suspicion (not sure how to translate it) way earlier.

To be honest I am extremely obsessed what other people think of me. Two things are very important my low weight and my intelligence. Both were reasons for my nightmarish daily bullying. Maybe it is kind of hypocritical that I am here and try to explain that it is okay to have a BMI (body-mass-index) which does not fit the average. I think it is important that the individiual feels comfortable with it. For me the trauma is too much. I will obsessed by my weight till I die. And in the article they said there are no official statistics that link fat-shaming and suicide. I think when I am forced to ctb in the future they can count me in this statistic. It contributed to my hellish mental state. I have a lot of OCD concerning my weight.

There are so many stupid stereotypes about overweight people. They are seen as lazy, stupid and they are often the butt of the joke. There are a lot of online communities where they are the target. There is a lot of harrassig happening by some people who only have the guts to do something like that when they can hide behind a pseudonym. This harrassing and bullying can destroy lives. I can say this with a lot of experience. I think for women the shaming might be even worse. But this might be a controversial stance. When I read about overweight politicians there is more mockery on obese women. Though I also know overweight male politicians who get attacked.

It is really unfair. Many overweight people are not even responsible for their weight. I think many people in this forum can confirm that. Many (mental health) medication can increase your weight. Moreover eating food out of desperation is for some depressed people a way to cope.

No matter how much or low the weight it is not justified to make fun of the person. If it is too extreme it can be unhealthy and it is also good to address that. But if we are honest most people on the internet don't have this intention. People who mock other people for their weight are disgusting assholes who get their self-esteem by hurting vulnerable people. I despise such people. They are scum.

Bullying a person for being overweight is undoubtedly immoral. However, having a body with excessive fat reserves is dangeorus to oneself - this is just how the body works. For example, if a doctor tells an overweight person not to worry about their overweight body, it's like telling a potential cancer patient not to worry about their cancer. In other words, there's nothing called "smoke-shaming", since it's commonly understood that smoking is bad for people. We humans simply need to eat healthily, just as we need to rest and breathe.

When it comes to dating, excessive fat is a marker of being unhealthy, and I would think that people who are not overweight have an easier time playing with their children, and may live longer to be able to spend more time with their children. Also, I believe that the question of being overweight is worse for women, since a healthy looking body is a turn-on for men in general, and if that doesn't happen, there will be no sex, or children. Again - that's biology working against us.

So, to sum it up - no one should need to feel ashamed of being overweight, but biology and nature have their rules that we simply need to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatevs
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Body shaming and bullying in general are too primitive to ever go extinct. The best way to deal with it is to always be one step ahead of the bullies-- by hating yourself more than they do. That way they cannot harm you.

• Aww..
Reactions: HappyForever?, lofticries, OpheliasFlowers and 1 other person
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
I think fat-shaming is stupid. I certainly agree that fat people aren't responsible for being fat. You cannot choose how big your appetite is. Shaming a fat person is like shaming a cancer patient for their tumour. Appetite is biological, like how a tumour is biological. Fat people typically have abnormally large appetites. Saying "just eat less" is as useless as saying to a homeless guy "just get money".

If a fat person eats less than their appetite demands, then they will be in a state of (potentially severe) discomfort until they eat enough, as they try to ignore the incessant hunger pangs. Everyone knows that perfect feeling of fullness that you reach when you know you've eaten enough. It shouldn't be hard to understand that fat people don't get this signal to stop until much more food is consumed. They are cursed with this misfortune. If it were easy to eat less, then fat people simply wouldn't be fat...it's HARD. It's profoundly naive to think a casual, "simple choice" to refrain from eating, is all that separates the fat from the slim.

Virtually no one enjoys being fat. That's another reason why it's stupid to shame a fat person. Fat bodies are widely perceived as very ugly. And there are of course links between being fat and a multitude of negative health outcomes (but the picture here is actually not as straightforward as many think, for example the strange "obesity paradox"). Fat people aren't stupid, they know these things and consequently many of them practice enough self-hatred, they don't need others adding to that.

There ARE a small number of fat people who are "fat-positive" - I have no issue with these people and I don't understand when people get very triggered by them. If anything, I'm happy for them if they can feel comfortable in their skin. I think they look bad, and I think they would look (and potentially feel) way better if slim, but who cares about my opinion? Their large appetite isn't harming me or you.

However, I have read some accounts of formerly fat people praising fat-shaming and claiming it helped to motivate them to lose weight. So it's not true that fat-shaming is ALWAYS a bad idea for the person. But people like this may be rare, I'm unsure. This is just another demonstration of neurodiversity. Aka, brains are different, and for any imagined idea or feeling, you can probably find a brain which has it. Someone who loves Hitler. Someone who hates pizza. Etc etc...Best assume that any fat person does not want to be shamed, unless you have reason to think otherwise.​

• Love
Reactions: archipelago, Cathy Ames, Suicidebydeath and 1 other person
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Body shaming and bullying in general are too primitive to ever go extinct. The best way to deal with it is to always be one step ahead of the bullies-- by hating yourself more than they do. That way they cannot harm you.
What about trying to lose weight? That might work too!

Reactions: abyss and Marine
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Yeah, you should never make fun of or shame anyone for being overweight. And tbh, being even 50lbs or 100lbs overweight isn't a huge deal. I do think that before someone gets to the point that their mobility and health are majorly affected by their weight (ie, bed ridden, joint damage, major cardiovascular issues), it is time to discuss options to keep that person from destroying themselves. But that conversation should be one of compassion, not accusation.

• Love
Reactions: Symbiote, Cathy Ames, Suicidebydeath and 1 other person
K

Klophy

Lost...
Jun 28, 2022
Grew up with a crappy childhood developed stress eating, bullied for being fat at school, more stress... The cycle continued until I dropped out of Uni.

I weigh less than half of what i used to before, the resulting anxiety, depression, body image issues and etc I got from it are things I can't cope with.

I do believe that being fat should be discouraged, there's no positives to it, but it depends on how you go about it.

At times i wish i didn't lose all of it and died from some complications earlier on..

• Hugs
Reactions: Marine and Julgran
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
However, I have read some accounts of formerly fat people praising fat-shaming and claiming it helped to motivate them to lose weight. So it's not true that fat-shaming is ALWAYS a bad idea for the person. But people like this may be rare, I'm unsure. This is just another demonstration of neurodiversity. Aka, brains are different, and for any imagined idea or feeling, you can probably find a brain which has it. Someone who loves Hitler. Someone who hates pizza. Etc etc...Best assume that any fat person does not want to be shamed, unless you have reason to think otherwise.​
Fat-shaming wouldn't help me it would just destroy my motivation to keep losing weight and make me suicidal. If it came from family anyway.

I think it's all very well for formerly formally fat people to do a U-turn, the important word is former. They no longer have to deal with it themselves.
I do believe that being fat should be discouraged, there's no positives to it, but it depends on how you go about it.
I'm sure that most fat people already know this and don't want to be fat. There may be exceptions but the majority of fat people don't want to be fat, and many of them are in the process of trying to lose it and don't need to be constantly reminded. They should be encouraged every time they lose weight as long as it's not killing them to do that, it's simple "reward vs punishment" psych.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdeterminist and Julgran
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
Bullying a person for being overweight is undoubtedly immoral. However, having a body with excessive fat reserves is dangeorus to oneself - this is just how the body works. For example, if a doctor tells an overweight person not to worry about their overweight body, it's like telling a potential cancer patient not to worry about their cancer. In other words, there's nothing called "smoke-shaming", since it's commonly understood that smoking is bad for people. We humans simply need to eat healthily, just as we need to rest and breathe.

When it comes to dating, excessive fat is a marker of being unhealthy, and I would think that people who are not overweight have an easier time playing with their children, and may live longer to be able to spend more time with their children. Also, I believe that the question of being overweight is worse for women, since a healthy looking body is a turn-on for men in general, and if that doesn't happen, there will be no sex, or children. Again - that's biology working against us.

So, to sum it up - no one should need to feel ashamed of being overweight, but biology and nature have their rules that we simply need to follow.
JULGRAN: bullying people for being overweight is wrong, no one should feel ashamed of being overweight

ALSO JULGRAN, IN LITERALLY THE SAME POST: Here is a comprehensive list of half-baked reasons as to why being overweight is bad and overweight people should accept public opprobrium - please do not confuse these good Biology Facts about getting laid with basic fat-shaming, which is very bad indeed.

Reactions: archipelago, bleeeeeep, Lullaby and 2 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
JULGRAN: bullying people for being overweight is wrong, no one should feel ashamed of being overweight

ALSO JULGRAN, IN LITERALLY THE SAME POST: Here is a comprehensive list of half-baked reasons as to why being overweight is bad and overweight people should accept public opprobrium - please do not confuse these good Biology Facts about getting laid with basic fat-shaming, which is very bad indeed.

I realize that this is just one of your bitter posts.

The point is that people may want to listen to their doctor about their overweight problem. As I said, it's just a biological fact that excessive fat is dangerous to oneself. Also, there's no denying that weight comes into play in dating, and I didn't say that there's any place for bullying in that regard.

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
I have never made a comment or judgement on someone's looks. Even when said person was an ass to me about mine. I know what it's like to be harrased due your appearance. Since I get a lot of it for my height.

Even though I'm not overweight I do know what it's like to have an obsession with food due to having had a list of Eds including binging.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames, Suicidebydeath and Julgran
Ethereal Knight

Ethereal Knight

Seja um bom soldado, morra onde você caiu.
Jan 10, 2022
the body-positive mindset changed my life (for the better)

I feel so much freedom now, being able to be who I am, eat whatever I want, eat the quantity I want, and especially, being able to really love myself unconditionally.

I gotta love myself, 'cause I'm the only person for that task. nobody else is gonna do that.

I wanna make it clear that radical self-acceptance and self-love is anything but easy. it's actually very hard to do! but it's worth it. and it's possible, I acomplished it!

I also always remind myself that I'm not a safety match. it's OK for a safety match to have its head hot and read, but I ain't one, so my head should be just cool.

anyway, maybe try watching some Nikocado Avocado's videos? life is too short to take it serious. we're all gonna die.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames
H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
I'd say that any bullying is bad, but those targeted at appearance especially hurt, because it's often difficult or even impossible to make a change in one's appearance.

Those targeted at immutable features like height cause deep depression and despair. Those targeted at features somewhat within control, like weight, may instead cause an unhealthy obsession, and the very fact that something can be done to remedy the "problem" may actually cause more harm. Those also pack the additional punch of victim blaming in the from of "why don't you just eat less and work out".

Just because weight can be within one's control does not mean it's easy to control. Some people may be physically or mentally predisposed to being overweight, and people don't seem to understand. As a matter of fact, people don't seem to understand that appearance in general is well beyond one's control, and don't even hesitate to judge each other on its basis.

I realize that this is just one of your bitter posts.

The point is that people may want to listen to their doctor about their overweight problem. As I said, it's just a biological fact that excessive fat is dangerous to oneself. Also, there's no denying that weight comes into play in dating, and I didn't say that there's any place for bullying in that regard.
He's just an asshole, probably a narcissist. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

Reactions: Suicidebydeath, Julgran and houseofleaves
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
If you're going to do that shit it's a better look to do it direct rather than shoot your mouth off about people as if they're not in the room, this can make you appear more like a weaselly playground shit-stirrer keen to rouse a dickhead mob than a person of any integrity.

Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020

100% agree. Fat people are fat for a reason, may it be trauma, stress, bad education, conditioning or habits. They should get the support and help they deserve so they can safely and painlessly lose the excess weight. This society has the stupid tendency to do the exact opposite of what people need to thrive. It's time to realize and change that toxic system.

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, RainAndSadness, Élégie and 3 others