Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Drifting Aimlessly without Roots
Feb 7, 2023
As someone who listens to long video essays/commentaries of whatever is going on the Internet while I do tasks, I recently got "caught up" with the fashion standards, and it's just … weird?

Listening to a YouTuber bring up "divine feminine energy", "model pretty", "standard pretty", etc as current (at the time) "new thing" confused me to no end. Aren't we in an era where we are promoting mental health? Why are we still pressuring young girls, even girls as young as middle schoolers, into standards that seem to change at the flip of a coin?

First, we pressured women to have a "slim-thick" body—in which they had to be slim in some body parts but they can't be too skinny! They have to have a large butt and chest as well! Now? Well, scrap the whole "thick" part of "slim-thick"! Skinny women are now the new big thing! (Well, "new" is an overstatement. This type of body was popular in the past as the "heroin chic" physique.) Oh, and don't forget that aging is bad! You have to use a specific straw and sleep in a specific way so you don't look like a normal human being!

I'm glad that there are more people who take pride in their appearance and refuse to be pressured by trends, but it's sad that there are still people (and especially companies) claim to be "for mental health", yet they promote content that causes those problems! It's gross to see people make others ashamed of their appearance for no reason other than to benefit from it.

People look different from one another, and that's okay! It's these differences that allow people to be beautiful/handsome/gorgeous, and online trends gloss over these various forms of beauty. Rather than conforming to a hard-to-reach standard that's always changing, individual and unique beauty should be the permanent trend.

(I don't have a specific reason as to why I posted this, but I felt like I had to rant about the subject even though it's been done time and time again. Plus, if I got anything wrong, please feel free to let me know so that I can fix it!)

• Love
Reactions: cassxtho
cassxtho

cassxtho

Deftones Fan
Nov 8, 2022
I agree 100%! I also think that this trend of promoting obese women in fashion magazines/websites is damaging as well. Why can't we just say "healthy and natural bodies only" and keep it at that?

Reactions: Unsure and Useless
Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Drifting Aimlessly without Roots
Feb 7, 2023
I agree 100%! I also think that this trend of promoting obese women in fashion magazines/websites is damaging as well. Why can't we just say "healthy and natural bodies only" and keep it at that?
Going to another extreme (as in being morbidly obese) is also bad. Though, I didn't want to bring it up since people have different perceptions of what "obese" is, such as how some people consider having a little bit of fat "obese".

Reactions: cassxtho and $crim
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Women should feel free to be themselves

Reactions: Unsure and Useless