Kore

Kore

Lonely in a room full of people…
Nov 2, 2023
Hiiiiiiiii people, share books pls! Fantasy mainly/only

Give me just one or share a few, write short reviews or just drop names, idm!

Bonus points for series ⭐

Triple bonus points if they have existing audiobooks available! ✨

I'll start with my own top 5.
It's very hard to pick an absolute top 5 from me, but I'll just name the top 5 that comes to mind…

#1 The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Books 1-2, 3 may be released one day (iykyk lol)
Audiobooks available, insanely good narrator
Fantasy

This book is just… perfection. The dude made me *feel* music through written words on a page. Love it! The audiobook is great too, the narrator is just fantastic. To me, Patrick is the Mozart of fantasy. Or just writing in general, I guess. Every single word has been deliberately chosen, it's truly a masterpiece!

#2 The Riftwar Saga - Raymond E Feist
Books 1-33 (?)
Audiobooks available, great narrator, though heads-up halfway through series a new narrator appears
Epic fantasy

Anybody know Pug?! Man, this 30+ book series (all audiobooks available) is one of the best journeys I have ever been on. It's epic fantasy, on a truly epic scale, and I've re read (physical books) the entire series a bunch of times, and have re-listened (audio books) 3-4 times, and will likely read/listen a good few times more. Highly recommend!

#3 Red Rising series - Pierce Brown
Books 1-6, 7 to be released this year
Audiobooks available, narrator is BLOODY DAMN fantastic
Fantasy, sci fi

The hunger games meets the Roman Empire meets Star Wars. Fuck but this series is addicting. It's dark and gritty. It's wrapped in pain and suffering, oppression and abuse, and man I have never felt such a connection to a character before. I find myself almost cheering outloud for him to get back up and fight just a little more. Again, as with all of this top 5 list, so highly recommend!

#4 The Mistborn Saga - Brandon Sanderson
Books 1-7, 2 more series planned
Audiobooks available, the narrator has the pessimist voice down to a TEE!
Epic fantasy

I love the premise of this series - what happens if the bad guys actually won? The books are based in a dark, grey world, covered in ash and mist, because the dark lord ACTUALLY won and destroyed almost everything. This is a gritty tale of survival and oppression, AND an adrenaline-filled heist series with a GREAT new twist on what a fantasy magic 'system' could be. Very much enjoyed this, and cannot wait for the new series!

#5 Railhead - Philip Reeve
Books 1-3
Audiobooks available
Fantasy, sci fi

Defo more sci-fi, but has some fantasy elements. Had to throw this series in because of the sense of pure wonder it inspired in me, it's such a… different idea. I'm guessing Phillip Reeve likes riding trains lmao! The blurb may make you think 'huh? There's a book about this?' but trust me, just give it a go. I went in being very skeptical, and came out a true fan that has re-read and re-listened twice through now, and got the same sense of wonder and discovery both times. Just thinking about it now makes me want to read it again soon! I loveeee the world building here.

I have many more but those were the top 5 that came to mind! PLEASE share more series with me, I'm dying for new words to digest!

Go On Animation GIF

Reactions: doormat25 and loopdaloop
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I pretty much read only fantasy. My favourite author by far is David Gemmell, I've read every single one of his books over and over again.

Im always interested in recommendations though, I've read some Rothuss, Feist and Sanderson (particular liked name of the wind) so will check the others out.

Reactions: Kore
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I pretty much read only fantasy. My favourite author by far is David Gemmell, I've read every single one of his books over and over again.

Im always interested in recommendations though, I've read some Rothuss, Feist and Sanderson (particular liked name of the wind) so will check the others out.
David Gemmell is fantastic, I've read a few of his works! I've wanted to delve into the drenai series for years but accidentally read a couple out of order. particularly liked the Waylander series, and I did read Legend - mannn that may be one of the best written battles I've come across! Ty for reminding me of him, I'll check out the reading order for Drenai

Hey I'll tell you what, since the dude is your fav author, can I rely on your advice? :)

Where would you advise someone to start with Gemmell? - with the note that I enjoy (long) series

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: carac
nux_walpurgis

nux_walpurgis

Me, my whispers and a broken God
Oct 18, 2023
I haven't read much fantasy but I really really liked the eragon series by christopher paolini

Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I haven't read much fantasy but I really really liked the eragon series by christopher paolini
I also did! Though I struggled a bit because I actually watched the movie before reading the books, and idk if you or anyone else has this problem but…

when I watch a movie first, I reaaaaally struggle to get into the books. Firstly because I somewhat know the story and ending, but secondly (maybe more importantly) there's alwaysss changes done for the script of a movie. Sometimes the changes are small, sometimes big. In Eragon's case, they slaughtered the story and made it almost impossible to ever create a sequel movie without totally diverging from the books 😅

I read another series which I loved as a kid

Mortal Engines - Phillip Reeve
Books 1-4
audio books available but haven't listened

They made a movie! After many long years of waiting! AND the director was to be none other than Peter Jackson!!! Unfortunately, Peter decided to hand the movie over to his protogé, Christian Rivers, who all but demolished it 🙃 the plot of 4 books was condensed and twisted (battered to pieces) to fit into a single movie, ruining the plot, leaving no room for future movies. While the visual effects were okay, trying to condense so much into one movie left the whole thing feeling rushed and under-developed. Characters were flat, all of the relationships and arcs overlooked, overall it was the movie I've been most ever excited for, and ALMOST most-ever disappointed by.

Side note, the movie that takes my #1 spot for most disappointing was the newest Matrix film. What a bag of trash that turned out to be 😅 almost left halfway through the showing, but I was cold and it was warm in the cinema LOL

• Love
Reactions: nux_walpurgis
nux_walpurgis

nux_walpurgis

Me, my whispers and a broken God
Oct 18, 2023
I also did! Though I struggled a bit because I actually watched the movie before reading the books, and idk if you or anyone else has this problem but…

when I watch a movie first, I reaaaaally struggle to get into the books. Firstly because I somewhat know the story and ending, but secondly (maybe more importantly) there's alwaysss changes done for the script of a movie. Sometimes the changes are small, sometimes big. In Eragon's case, they slaughtered the story and made it almost impossible to ever create a sequel movie without totally diverging from the books 😅

I read another series which I loved as a kid

Mortal Engines - Phillip Reeve
Books 1-4
audio books available but haven't listened

They made a movie! After many long years of waiting! AND the director was to be none other than Peter Jackson!!! Unfortunately, Peter decided to hand the movie over to his protogé, Christian Rivers, who all but demolished it 🙃 the plot of 4 books was condensed and twisted (battered to pieces) to fit into a single movie, ruining the plot, leaving no room for future movies. While the visual effects were okay, trying to condense so much into one movie left the whole thing feeling rushed and under-developed. Characters were flat, all of the relationships and arcs overlooked, overall it was the movie I've been most ever excited for, and ALMOST most-ever disappointed by.

Side note, the movie that takes my #1 spot for most disappointing was the newest Matrix film. What a bag of trash that turned out to be 😅 almost left halfway through the showing, but I was cold and it was warm in the cinema LOL
I have watched the mortal engines movie and ... yeah it was disappointing 😅
But if the books are good I might give them a try. I found the whole concept very interesting. It's a shame the movie couldn't make good use of it

Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
I have watched the mortal engines movie and ... yeah it was disappointing 😅
But if the books are good I might give them a try. I found the whole concept very interesting. It's a shame the movie couldn't make good use of it
Oh absolutely! I would defo recommend the books!! The movie is pretty much book 1, with some random elements of the other books brought forward and condensed and then ruined. So the ending of the movie doesn't actually happen in the books (at least, not the way the movie shows). Some characters were either killed in the movie or simply failed to appear, again, different in the books. After the initial London struggle, the books take you far and wide and reaaaally explore the concept of this city-on-wheels thing and, well, I personally thoroughly enjoyed them:)

If you listen to the audiobook versions, do come back (if you remember) and lemme know if they were any good!

C

catmewomeow

Oct 1, 2023
i only ever read fantasy, preferably portal fantasy. i just finished the invisible libarary by genevieve cogman, which is about a woman who goes into alternate dimensions to collect books because the library she works at is trying to get every single type of book there is. theres sequals that i havent got to yet, but i plan to because i enjoyed the first one so much.

a more fluffy fantasy slice-of-lifeish book that has no action is legends and lattes by travis baldree. its a high fantasy about a orc who retires from adventures and battles and builds a coffee shop. it starts from the absolute beginning where she first buys the place the shop will go and we get to see her build up her buisness from the bottom.

• Yay!
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
i only ever read fantasy, preferably portal fantasy. i just finished the invisible libarary by genevieve cogman, which is about a woman who goes into alternate dimensions to collect books because the library she works at is trying to get every single type of book there is. theres sequals that i havent got to yet, but i plan to because i enjoyed the first one so much.

a more fluffy fantasy slice-of-lifeish book that has no action is legends and lattes by travis baldree. its a high fantasy about a orc who retires from adventures and battles and builds a coffee shop. it starts from the absolute beginning where she first buys the place the shop will go and we get to see her build up her buisness from the bottom.
Oh man that actually sounds like a delight I didn't know I'd like! The second one, I mean! I almost always go for big-world stuff, like every fantasy book I read usually goes something like:
"there's a young, meaningless orphan boy with nothing special about him. Then suddenly boom! He can do magic. Not well yet. Few years tho? Master! But wait, here comes the dark master of magic. Big battle time, armies clash, all hope is lost… plot twist! And the orphan boy is now the magical hero of the world. The end."

What I've never read is what happens *after* the battles lmao! A random orc from one of the armies decides to hang up the serrated swords and have a peaceful life making coffee. I'm gonna check this book out!

This is why I made the thread. Thanks for the suggestions Cat! :smiling:

Thanks to @carac ill also be checking out Rigante series by David Gemmell, looks right up my street!

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: catmewomeow and carac
achb

achb

I am Clive
Oct 23, 2023
YOU HAVE SUCH FUCKING GOOD TASTE. I've read all your reccs except the 5th, which means I am definitely going to have to read Railhead.

Not sure I have any phenomenal recs for high fantasy. Rothfuss, Sanderson, and Feist are typically my go-to haha. And if you've read those, then you've probably already heard of the Wheel of Time saga.

But here's a couple reccs.

Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn
Book 1 of the Exiles trilogy. Loved the book! Rawn is a great author. I'm not great at synopses, but I highly reccommend it!

Enders Game Quartet by Orson Scott Card
Great series. Not rlly fantasy, but sci fi. First book is great, but the following books are where it really gets interesting. Speaker For the Dead is my personal favorite.... The series gets pretty fucked psychologically, but it's amazing.

• Yay!
Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
YOU HAVE SUCH FUCKING GOOD TASTE. I've read all your reccs except the 5th, which means I am definitely going to have to read Railhead.

Not sure I have any phenomenal recs for high fantasy. Rothfuss, Sanderson, and Feist are typically my go-to haha. And if you've read those, then you've probably already heard of the Wheel of Time saga.

But here's a couple reccs.

Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn
Book 1 of the Exiles trilogy. Loved the book! Rawn is a great author. I'm not great at synopses, but I highly reccommend it!

Enders Game Quartet by Orson Scott Card
Great series. Not rlly fantasy, but sci fi. First book is great, but the following books are where it really gets interesting. Speaker For the Dead is my personal favorite.... The series gets pretty fucked psychologically, but it's amazing.
Dudeeeee.
You also have GREAT taste! I started the wheel of time series on Netflix but stopped when I seen reviews for the books and added them to my list! Forgot about them tbf!

Also, I loved the movie Enders game and have seen it like 4-5 times? Lmao, didn't realize there was a book series! Will also be adding that to the list!

Railhead is certainly different, and also more sci fi than fantasy but… if you like the same shit as me, I think you'll like it!

Speaker for the Dead looks interesting af too, just added that to my list as well…
Edit: when I realize Speaker for the Dead was actually part of the Enders Game series lmao - it *still* looks great
gonna take me a couple months to get through all this lot now 😆

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: achb
real person

real person

Experienced
Dec 11, 2023
you will never run out of brandon sanderson to read lol

N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
Recently read and loved the first Mistborn trilogy, now going back to read Sanderson's books in order (with occasional breaks so I don't get fantasy burnout). About 100 pages into Elantris and enjoying it so far.

You sound extremely well read in fantasy so don't think I'll have read anything you haven't, but if by chance Neil Gaiman has slipped past you I'd highly recommend Neverwhere. It's based on the idea of people "slipping through the cracks" of society in London quite literally slipping through the cracks in the pavement and ending up in a fantasy version of the London Underground.

Kore

Kore

Nov 2, 2023
Recently read and loved the first Mistborn trilogy, now going back to read Sanderson's books in order (with occasional breaks so I don't get fantasy burnout). About 100 pages into Elantris and enjoying it so far.

You sound extremely well read in fantasy so don't think I'll have read anything you haven't, but if by chance Neil Gaiman has slipped past you I'd highly recommend Neverwhere. It's based on the idea of people "slipping through the cracks" of society in London quite literally slipping through the cracks in the pavement and ending up in a fantasy version of the London Underground.
Ayy the mistborn series was defo a fav for me! Haven't tried Elantris tho, lmk if it's any good

I wouldn't say I'm extremely well read, though that's mostly because I struggle to get hooked on a new series and end up re-reading my old favs xD I do know of Gaiman, I read his Norse Mythology book - was interesting! But I haven't heard of Neverwhere :o sounds like a pretty cool idea tbh, I'll give it a look!

Reactions: NoHorizon
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I really liked the Witcher series. It's not like the netflix adaptation. The books are way better.

daocreator

daocreator

Unstable uni student
Nov 29, 2023
Hiiiiiiiii people, share books pls! Fantasy mainly/only

Give me just one or share a few, write short reviews or just drop names, idm!

Bonus points for series ⭐

Triple bonus points if they have existing audiobooks available! ✨

I'll start with my own top 5.
It's very hard to pick an absolute top 5 from me, but I'll just name the top 5 that comes to mind…

#1 The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
Books 1-2, 3 may be released one day (iykyk lol)
Audiobooks available, insanely good narrator
Fantasy

This book is just… perfection. The dude made me *feel* music through written words on a page. Love it! The audiobook is great too, the narrator is just fantastic. To me, Patrick is the Mozart of fantasy. Or just writing in general, I guess. Every single word has been deliberately chosen, it's truly a masterpiece!

#2 The Riftwar Saga - Raymond E Feist
Books 1-33 (?)
Audiobooks available, great narrator, though heads-up halfway through series a new narrator appears
Epic fantasy

Anybody know Pug?! Man, this 30+ book series (all audiobooks available) is one of the best journeys I have ever been on. It's epic fantasy, on a truly epic scale, and I've re read (physical books) the entire series a bunch of times, and have re-listened (audio books) 3-4 times, and will likely read/listen a good few times more. Highly recommend!

#3 Red Rising series - Pierce Brown
Books 1-6, 7 to be released this year
Audiobooks available, narrator is BLOODY DAMN fantastic
Fantasy, sci fi

The hunger games meets the Roman Empire meets Star Wars. Fuck but this series is addicting. It's dark and gritty. It's wrapped in pain and suffering, oppression and abuse, and man I have never felt such a connection to a character before. I find myself almost cheering outloud for him to get back up and fight just a little more. Again, as with all of this top 5 list, so highly recommend!

#4 The Mistborn Saga - Brandon Sanderson
Books 1-7, 2 more series planned
Audiobooks available, the narrator has the pessimist voice down to a TEE!
Epic fantasy

I love the premise of this series - what happens if the bad guys actually won? The books are based in a dark, grey world, covered in ash and mist, because the dark lord ACTUALLY won and destroyed almost everything. This is a gritty tale of survival and oppression, AND an adrenaline-filled heist series with a GREAT new twist on what a fantasy magic 'system' could be. Very much enjoyed this, and cannot wait for the new series!

#5 Railhead - Philip Reeve
Books 1-3
Audiobooks available
Fantasy, sci fi

Defo more sci-fi, but has some fantasy elements. Had to throw this series in because of the sense of pure wonder it inspired in me, it's such a… different idea. I'm guessing Phillip Reeve likes riding trains lmao! The blurb may make you think 'huh? There's a book about this?' but trust me, just give it a go. I went in being very skeptical, and came out a true fan that has re-read and re-listened twice through now, and got the same sense of wonder and discovery both times. Just thinking about it now makes me want to read it again soon! I loveeee the world building here.

I have many more but those were the top 5 that came to mind! PLEASE share more series with me, I'm dying for new words to digest!

Go On Animation GIF
I'm unsurprised you mentioned Brandon Sanderson, as he's quite a popular one.

My favourite well known novels that I've read are mostly the most born series, the wheel of time.

Though I've mostly read xianxia books (Chinese books translated into English; about a dozen of them.) And I've also read a couple of good hidden gems like Mother of learning, prince of thorns, dungeon crawler Carl, etc.

Would love to hear out recommendations

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
The Earthsea books by Ursula K. Le Guin are my favourite.