Poptart

Poptart

Try me Frozen
Nov 7, 2019
I currently have $64 dollars to my name. Fortunately, Im starting a new job in child care as soon as all the paperwork is finished.

That paperwork includes a health assessment.

No big deal, right? Ill walk into my urgent care and theyll do a physical and ill be done.

Wrong. They asked me what medication i was on. Lithium, vraylar, lamictal, buspar, and effexor, I reply.

The nurse got so super weirded out and asked why so much medication? Im bipolar 1. I couldnt lie. She already knew I was on lithium.

So, she checked that I had an unstable mood disorder/psychiatric condition and that I could be a danger to the fucking kids.

Now I have to have a thorough psychiatric evaluation. And Im not sure my psychiatrist will let me pass.

I might be barred from working with kids for the next few years. Really unfortunate considering Im going back to school for elementary education.

Has anyone else been denied a job over their psychiatric history?

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: AngelGirl, ocd is bad and KleinerWolf
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
I don't have any resourceful comment for input, since my suffering mostly come from failing to meet expectations, things I dislike yet extremely hard to alter.

In terms of mental health, I suffer and was diagnosed Depression, OCD and probable anxiety to some degree.
I work in hospitality industry but had always aimed to not disclose my mental health symptoms/history to the recruiters unless they already knew about it.

It doesn't benefit us in any way because the topic of mental health is still very much taboo to this day.
Not saying it's impossible for you to pass the screening, but I do agree with you that, it's annoying having to go through extra screening to land a job.
I consider it subtle discrimination when people ask me "do you have any mental health concerns that will affect your ability to perform your duties?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Poptart
Poptart

Poptart

Try me Frozen
Nov 7, 2019
I don't have any resourceful comment for input, since my suffering mostly come from failing to meet expectations, things I dislike yet extremely hard to alter.

In terms of mental health, I suffer and was diagnosed Depression, OCD and probable anxiety to some degree.
I work in hospitality industry but had always aimed to not disclose my mental health symptoms/history to the recruiters unless they already knew about it.

It doesn't benefit us in any way because the topic of mental health is still very much taboo to this day.
Not saying it's impossible for you to pass the screening, but I do agree with you that, it's annoying having to go through extra screening to land a job.
I consider it subtle discrimination when people ask me "do you have any mental health concerns that will affect your ability to perform your duties"

In a way it is discrimination. I have the experience, qualifications, and personality to excel at the job. But by default im inadequate or dangerous to children? Wtf

Raminiki

Raminiki

Iustitia Mortuus
Jun 12, 2020
Discrimination. I'm sorry, OP. You're working hard to make progress in life and be a valuable member of society, and being judged and tripped for being honest. I was once rejected from a position because I suffer depression. It affected me and I don't even try for work anymore. A huge gap of years in my resume would have to be explained and if I'm honest and say I was ill, can forget about gaining a position. It's a vicious cycle in which we are disadvantaged over and over again. I also know someone who's afraid to get diagnoses or treatment for their conditions because it will go on medical records. This person must suffer without appropriate help because of discrimination, which only makes their problems exacerbate. Society has never been forgiving or fair.

• Love
Reactions: Poptart
Poptart

Poptart

Try me Frozen
Nov 7, 2019
Where is this job? That's illegal as fuck AFAIK.

SC, USA
Ive been asked on every job application for childcare what medications Im on, if I have any chronic health conditions, and even if I have kids and childcare for said kids.

The questions are incredibly intrusive for someone making 10/hour.

the box is empty

the box is empty

Sometimes the fall kills you. Sometimes you fly.
Mar 8, 2020
Is this a private company?