• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

sivvie

sivvie

Wanderer
Aug 23, 2021
I tried the charcoal burning method around 3 days ago at 8 am and survived unfortunately :/ I bought a charcoal burner (pic for reference) and a packet of no-brand charcoals. The packet containted 10 pieces of charcoals that were about 40mm each. It burnt for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I was conscious for the entire time. I had a horrible headache afterwards, my head was pounding and I could feel blood rushing into my ears every now and then, or my hearing would feel blocked. I also felt very nauseous and couldn't eat until night. I also felt extremely fatigued and when I left my room afterwards I felt like I was going to faint multiple times, and felt very weak.

My room isn't small, but it isn't big either, so I'm guessing that might be the reason it didn't work. The smoke was slightly visible, but I wouldn't say it was a lot. I would do it in the bathroom but the charcoal burner is electric, and I have no outlet in the bathroom. Also, my bathroom has windows high up that have small/long rectangular slits that I wouldn't be able to cover up. I have no closet or car or anything that I can try again in.

I'm thinking of buying 40 pieces of coal this time and letting it burn while I sleep; though I have anxiety of stuff burning while I'm sleeping, in case something is set on fire and I end up being a burn vitcim instead..

What should I do? And are there any other, better methods?

Attachments

• burner.png
    burner.png
    513.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Hugs
Reactions: rkvgriffus
bored_user

bored_user

one day.
Oct 28, 2021
buy an extension cord that can lead to outlets and try again inside the bathroom, regardless of the gaps. I believe that with more coal you have more chances of success, as a reasonably large space is enough not to suffocate with smoke.

i don't know what made him come to such a point, unfortunately the best people are the first to be wronged. I hope everything works out for you regardless of your choice.

• Hugs
Reactions: rkvgriffus and Someone123
Upvote 0
ENDOFTIME

ENDOFTIME

Nov 3, 2021
The mechanism of CO toxicity is asphyxiation through inhibition of oxygen binding to haemoglobin, where CO has an affinity for the haemoglobin oxygen binding sites of over 200 times that for oxygen. CO also raises cellular haem concentrations, which interrupts cellular respiration, and causes oxidative stress and inflammation via multiple pathways. For mild, short-term exposure (below about 500 parts per million [ppm]), symptoms can include headache, dizziness, nausea, impaired psychomotor function (and also some abnormal behavioral function), loss of balance, fatigue and respiratory symptoms. As the concentration increases, these symptoms intensify. Lethal concentrations are relatively low — death occurs after about 2 hours at 1500 ppm, and can occur after shorter exposures at higher concentrations (eg, within 30 minutes at 3000–6000 ppm). Death by suicide using non-vehicular CO is well documented, and charcoal barbecues and hibachis have previously been associated with unintentional deaths.

Stoichiometrically, it is possible to estimate the quantity of briquettes that need to be burned to produce a potentially toxic concentration of CO in an apartment with a defined volume.

The weight (W) of a gas, in grams, in 1 m3 at 100% concentration is:

W g = molecular weight of the gas ÷ standard molar volume × 1000

The weight of CO in 1 m3 at 100% concentration is:

W g = 28.01 ÷ 22.47 × 1000

= 1247 g

The weight of a gas, in grams, in 1 m3 at a concentration of c, where c is the concentration as a percentage, is:

Wc g = W g × c ÷ 100

The weight of CO in 1 m3 at 1% concentration (10 000 ppm) is:

W1 g = (28.01 ÷ 22.47) × 1 ÷ 100

= 12.47 g

The weight of CO at 1% concentration in an apartment is dependent on the volume of the apartment, ignoring walls, furniture, other objects and people, so it is:

Wapartment = W1 g × volume of the apartment

The weight of CO at 1% concentration in an apartment of 100 m3 volume (10m x 10m x 10m) is:

Wapartment = 12.47 g × 100

= 1247 g

The proportion of a CO molecule that is carbon is 43%, so the weight of carbon in an apartment containing 1% CO is:

W carbon = Wapartment × proportion of CO that is carbon

= 1247 g × 0.43

= 535 g

Finally, the proportion of carbon in the charcoal briquettes used in this incident, as stated in manufacturer information, is 85%. Therefore, the weight of briquettes needed to produce 1% CO in a 100 m3 apartment is:

W briquettes = W carbon ÷ proportion of briquette that is carbon

= 535 g ÷ 0.85

= 629 g

In summary, if the concentration of carbon in the briquettes is 85%, the lethal concentration of CO is 10 000 ppm and the volume of an apartment is 100 m3, then burning 629 g of charcoal briquettes could produce a potentially toxic atmosphere. Therefore, using a typical amount of briquettes of about 1 kg in a poorly ventilated area is likely to lead to clinical toxicity and might lead to death.

In the end, the choice is of course still yours. Go, stay, do whatever ...... we're here no matter what you decide.

Upvote 1
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I tried the charcoal burning method around 3 days ago at 8 am and survived unfortunately :/ I bought a charcoal burner (pic for reference) and a packet of no-brand charcoals. The packet containted 10 pieces of charcoals that were about 40mm each. It burnt for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, and I was conscious for the entire time. I had a horrible headache afterwards, my head was pounding and I could feel blood rushing into my ears every now and then, or my hearing would feel blocked. I also felt very nauseous and couldn't eat until night. I also felt extremely fatigued and when I left my room afterwards I felt like I was going to faint multiple times, and felt very weak.

My room isn't small, but it isn't big either, so I'm guessing that might be the reason it didn't work. The smoke was slightly visible, but I wouldn't say it was a lot. I would do it in the bathroom but the charcoal burner is electric, and I have no outlet in the bathroom. Also, my bathroom has windows high up that have small/long rectangular slits that I wouldn't be able to cover up. I have no closet or car or anything that I can try again in.

I'm thinking of buying 40 pieces of coal this time and letting it burn while I sleep; though I have anxiety of stuff burning while I'm sleeping, in case something is set on fire and I end up being a burn vitcim instead..

What should I do? And are there any other, better methods?
The cases I have heard of working are in smaller spaces, like a car. If you can't get into a much smaller space I would consider other methods you'd really need to explore options, there isn't a one size fits all.

Upvote 0
SoDead

SoDead

Nov 2, 2021
W carbon = Wapartment × proportion of CO that is carbon

There is one critical thing which seems to be missing here. When burned, charcoal should also produce carbon dioxide, probably more of it than of CO, unless there is lack of oxygen.

Upvote 0
ENDOFTIME

ENDOFTIME

Nov 3, 2021
There is one critical thing which seems to be missing here. When burned, charcoal should also produce carbon dioxide, probably more of it than of CO, unless there is lack of oxygen.
True - estimate method just provides approximation. I've heard good and bad about CO method so lots of factors to consider.

Upvote 0