A

aloyo

Dec 31, 2023
Hi all, I have posted a few times in recent weeks, have had multiple attempts at SWB. I will say that the attempts have been closer, as I have learned to hyperventilate better and have more conviction.

However, after today, I am a bit discouraged. I spent 2.5 hours constantly hyper ventilating and trying to hold breathe and blackout. I definitely got light headed and dizzy and was getting closer, but after 2.5 minutes pretty consistently knew I was not going to blackout etc.

So in a already delirious state I also huffed duster after hyper ventilating. This proved effective. I successfully blacked out after a few attempts w the added duster. Sadly I still woke up after about 3-3.5 minutes submerged and then coughed and threw up.

Not sure if I can keep trying this method, it's not been super encouraging and have started to lose hope if I even survived after successfully blacking out. It's also not particularly pleasant to continuously try to drown yourself

Reactions: Venessolotic
Dolphin55

Dolphin55

Jan 7, 2023
Yeah, I've realised this too over time. I tried a little last year, could not pass out, and subsequently it's become clear to me that even if you did, you're quite likely to wake up again mid-drowning - as it sounds like you discovered. I mean, people HAVE died this way accidentally, so it is possible - but as a suicide method? Seems to be difficult and unreliable. You're lucky you have no adverse affects for being submerged without oxygen for 3.5mins.

Reactions: aloyo and losing hope
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That must be dreadful what you went through, I hate how it's so unnecessarily difficult to die, it's very horrible to me how we cannot just choose to peacefully die in a straightforward way. But anyway best wishes, I hope that you eventually find the freedom you search for.

Reactions: Venessolotic, myusername890 and aloyo
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Thanks for the info guys. I've been on this forum almost 2 yrs now, and have NEVER known somone to successfully ctb via SWB. Either on this forum or a medical report from elsewhere.

Now I know why, since it seems unreliable. Shame as all the posters made it seem easy 182986 2023 03 19 134023

Can I ask why did you choose SWB over other methods, like BBQ in a tent?

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
It can be done as there are reports of deaths with it but when practicing or attempting SWB beware of "dry drowning". You could die hours after your attempt/practice so make sure this is what you want.

Reactions: losing hope
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I definitely got light headed and dizzy and was getting closer
When? Right after hyperventilation or during long breath-holding?
but after 2.5 minutes pretty consistently knew I was not going to blackout etc.
How exactly did you know that? When I was close to SWB, I've got the sense of impending fainting after feeling the urge to breathe which disappeared prior to the near-blackout feeling.
Sadly I still woke up after about 3-3.5 minutes submerged
Did you measure that time somehow or is it an intuitively perceived time of your unconsciousness? Can you describe your perceptions right before fainting and right after waking up? What state of consciousness did you have after waking up?
and then coughed and threw up.
Did you inhale some amount of water when you were unconscious?

A

aloyo

Dec 31, 2023
I chose swb because it's the most convenient means I have. But will have to reconsider now.

I got dizzy right after hyper ventilating and kept pushing. I would time each attempt as I submerged just tapping a timer, which is how I know the durations. I could tell I would not fade or blackout because each time I was very conscious and eventually would feel an urge to breathe. I was as devoted to ctb with no SI as I have been ever, and really felt like I was going to get it done.

Right before I was passing out (after inhaling duster), I could feel my body ingest the duster and start to tingle. My head started to tingle in a gradual fashion like a balloon being filled. It felt like I sort of had to breathe and my ears were ringing but since I had tried a few times and I was set on ctb, I pushed through. I don't remember anything after that and I don't remember immediately waking up, but then I coughed and got a little nauseous (unclear shock, oxygen depletion, the duster etc). And then I was weirdly clairvoyant albeit a bit fatigued, and dizzy/light headed.

I didn't have another attempt in me after that though and called it quits for the day. Not sure if I have it in me to go again.

HypoxicHeaven

HypoxicHeaven

why am I conscious?
Oct 26, 2023
maybe try passing out into a noose instead

A

aloyo

Dec 31, 2023
I'm intimidated by hanging and don't have a good place to do it actually

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I don't think this is a reliable method. Not that it cannot work but passing out and drowning (in a bathtub) isn't as easy as it looks like.

Reactions: myusername890
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I could tell I would not fade or blackout because each time I was very conscious and eventually would feel an urge to breathe.
The urge to breathe can be weak, moderate, strong, or very strong. Did you try to wait until it becomes very strong and really unbearable or you gave up when feeling some discomfort you could tolerate?
Right before I was passing out (after inhaling duster), I could feel my body ingest the duster and start to tingle.
How much gas did you inhale and how quickly did you faint since the inhalation started?

You mentioned that you combined inhalation from the duster with hyperventilation. Hyperventilation reduces carbon dioxide levels in the blood, causing blood vessels to narrow (this is known as vasoconstriction). Blood flow to the brain decreases, and this can help you to faint. This effect is known to be transient, because your cells continue to produce CO2, so carbon dioxide eventually builds up, the blood vessels widen back to their normal thickness, and normal blood flow to the brain is restored. Therefore, combining hyperventilation and gas asphyxiation is not supposed to work reliably in theory. The more CO2 you have at the moment of losing consciousness, the less chances further accumulation of CO2 will make you awake due to vasodilation that can increase delivery of oxygen to the brain.

Last edited:
A

aloyo

Dec 31, 2023
S
The urge to breathe can be weak, moderate, strong, or very strong. Did you try to wait until it becomes very strong and really unbearable or you gave up when feeling some discomfort you could tolerate?

How much gas did you inhale and how quickly did you faint since the inhalation started?

You mentioned that you combined inhalation from the duster with hyperventilation. Hyperventilation reduces carbon dioxide levels in the blood, causing blood vessels to narrow (this is known as vasoconstriction). Blood flow to the brain decreases, and this can help you to faint. This effect is known to be transient, because your cells continue to produce CO2, so carbon dioxide eventually builds up, the blood vessels widen back to their normal thickness, and normal blood flow to the brain is restored. Therefore, combining hyperventilation and gas asphyxiation is not supposed to work reliably in theory. The more CO2 you have at the moment of losing consciousness, the less chances further accumulation of CO2 will make you awake due to vasodilation that can increase delivery of oxygen to the brain.
Moderate/to very strong urge to breathe on varying attempts. Some attempts I could tell I didn't hyperventilate enough so would just try to hold as long as possible for it to be productive in terms of oxygen depletion etc.

So you're saying I shouldn't hyperventilate and instead just huff the duster and that will lead to a longer passing out?

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
Moderate/to very strong urge to breathe on varying attempts. Some attempts I could tell I didn't hyperventilate enough so would just try to hold as long as possible for it to be productive in terms of oxygen depletion etc.
I think, the ideal scenario with the basic SWB method where the urge to breathe doesn't appear at all or its strength is small would be difficult to achieve for most people. Achieving a bearable strong urge to breathe that doesn't become overly strong is a more realistic goal.
So you're saying I shouldn't hyperventilate and instead just huff the duster and that will lead to a longer passing out?
Hyperventilation and gas asphyxiation are mutually exclusive ways to achieve SWB. The purpose of gas asphyxiation is to remove as much oxygen from the blood as possible rather than cause loss of consciousness as fast as possible. Hyperventilation can shorten gas asphyxiation, making it ineffective at producing stable unconsciousness. You can't be conscious when the blood oxygen saturation is below some minimum. If you are able to wake up, this means that your blood is not sufficiently oxygen-depleted.

Then it would be logically to ask why you even pass out if your blood has enough oxygen. The answer is that the required minimum of oxygen depends on the state of blood vessels and the blood pressure at the brain which can depend on your pose. If you hyperventilate, you narrow your blood vessels and shift the minimum to higher values. If you stand up, you also decrease the blood pressure at the brain. Such things can produce fainting and interruption of the inhalation/exhalation procedures before the blood becomes sufficiently oxygen-depleted for lower minimums with dilated blood vessels and lying pose.

Since you have difficulties with inhaling the gas from the can due to urge to breathe, it makes sense to consider using a balloon as the intermediate container for the gas. Inhalation from a balloon can be done faster, so you'd be able to get rid of the excess of CO2 (which causes the feeling of urge to breathe) faster as well. This tactics can be ineffective if your air duster contains big amounts of CO2 (in this case, it's probably not suitable for the method).

• Informative
Reactions: Nero
A

aloyo

Dec 31, 2023
I think, the ideal scenario with the basic SWB method where the urge to breathe doesn't appear at all or its strength is small would be difficult to achieve for most people. Achieving a bearable strong urge to breathe that doesn't become overly strong is a more realistic goal.

Hyperventilation and gas asphyxiation are mutually exclusive ways to achieve SWB. The purpose of gas asphyxiation is to remove as much oxygen from the blood as possible rather than cause loss of consciousness as fast as possible. Hyperventilation can shorten gas asphyxiation, making it ineffective at producing stable unconsciousness. You can't be conscious when the blood oxygen saturation is below some minimum. If you are able to wake up, this means that your blood is not sufficiently oxygen-depleted.

Then it would be logically to ask why you even pass out if your blood has enough oxygen. The answer is that the required minimum of oxygen depends on the state of blood vessels and the blood pressure at the brain which can depend on your pose. If you hyperventilate, you narrow your blood vessels and shift the minimum to higher values. If you stand up, you also decrease the blood pressure at the brain. Such things can produce fainting and interruption of the inhalation/exhalation procedures before the blood becomes sufficiently oxygen-depleted for lower minimums with dilated blood vessels and lying pose.

Since you have difficulties with inhaling the gas from the can due to urge to breathe, it makes sense to consider using a balloon as the intermediate container for the gas. Inhalation from a balloon can be done faster, so you'd be able to get rid of the excess of CO2 (which causes the feeling of urge to breathe) faster as well. This tactics can be ineffective if your air duster contains big amounts of CO2 (in this case, it's probably not suitable for the method).
Tried asphyxiation without hyperventilation. Still woke up towards beginning of drowning (threw up / water). Definitely some small amount got in my lungs + lungs got inflamed.

Desperate to figure out how to just get this over with. Really hard to keep trying..

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
Tried asphyxiation without hyperventilation. Still woke up towards beginning of drowning (threw up / water).
If that happened to me (unlikely), I'd either wait for the second blackout (alter all, it should happen faster than in case of drowning without gas asphyxiation) or use a plastic bag filled with the gas instead.