R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
Exploring the impact of male and female facial attractiveness on occupational prestige

Traditionally, social scientists have studied socio-economic inequalities mainly by looking at the impact of individuals' economic, cultural and social capital. Some scholars have recently argued that other types of resources, such as genetic and erotic capital, may also play a role in the processes that lead to the formation of social inequalities. Using a unique longitudinal dataset, the Wisconsin Longitudinal Study, this paper explores the impact of facial attractiveness on people's socio-economic standing over the life course. Methodologically, we employ a set of multilevel Growth Curve Models. Two findings clearly stand out from our analysis. Firstly, facial attractiveness does matter, both for men and women, and secondly, its impact is constant over the employment history.

• Informative
Reactions: waitingforrest, Journeytoletgo and justwhy?
Finis Autem Spero

Finis Autem Spero

Dec 30, 2019
I recall reading a study years ago that showed that attractive people were percieved as more trustworthy. It makes sense that if your appearance makes you more trustworthy, that you'd be able to find positions of responsibilty more easily in the workplace.

Reactions: Roberto
Hexen

Hexen

Student
Aug 12, 2019
It does matter. For instance I remember some murderer on news killed his family and my mom saying "Who would have thought? and mentioned that the person is handsome so it was unexpected. I asked her "What if he was ugly?" and she agreed that she would think that he was a murderer. Then I remember a situation where the same thing happened but the criminal was not attractive and she said "You can see it on his face". People who are not attractive are perceived differently than attractive person. Its different walking in forest alone and seeing a very attractive person vs a very unattractive person pass you by. Its sad really.

• Aww..
Reactions: waitingforrest and Roberto
Mort

Mort

No use to know one
Feb 15, 2019
Well that me bugger i look like mo from the Simpsons LOL :P :D

Reactions: Roberto