TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I get a notification almost everyday about '"Memories" or 'On this day" where you can see what has been posted on your wall since you made your account it´s very depressing but memories are all I have left it even says in bold how many years it´s been since a certain post was made on my wall and as I get older it gets more depressing seeing that a certain good memory happened 8,9,10 even 11 years ago! Where did the time go? :'(

And what makes it even worse is seeing all those friends and aquintances who liked and commented on your posts not being your Facebook friends anymore, to be clear I don´t care at all about numbers of Facebook friends it´s not a status symbol but to know these amazing people from my youth decisively went into my profile to delete me from their lives completely is heart breaking and it´s not just a few it´s dozens of people that have done.

People usually move on in life and get new friends and it´s especially heart breaking to see friend I used to be very close to have new friends and maybe even have deleted me, I used to be popular in my own circles I was Goth but still had tons of friends people looked up to me even my siblings who admired me now they have surpassed me and I am an insignificant person I have no style or personality I am just an empty shell of the person I once was.

But back on topic I actually even take screen shots of these posts to make sure the memories will always be there because it´s all I got, memories from the good times in the past in my youth but it´s so tragic to know I will never experience those days again and also seeing how old I and all these people have become many even have babies, there are probably two dozen people from my youth who are now parents and it makes me feel so much older just wanna die.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it also becomes apparent how many people post "happy birthday" on my wall the number is falling each year, not that I like it anyways I actually find it insulting but it´s the principle of it that I am talking about; this year I only got 4 and then two messages but it´s mostly family whereas 10 years ago there would be dozens to congratulate me and I have seen the number fall lower and lower by each passing year it´s depressing.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: RileyTanaka, _Minsk, Yomyom and 1 other person
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Don't use Facebook for this exact reason. I don't need a site making me remember stuff, that hurts.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Don't use Facebook for this exact reason. I don't need a site making me remember stuff, that hurts.
I do I am not exactly sure why because I can´t feel the happiness/sadness that comes with nostalgia maybe it´s just to keep myself sane i.e. knowing that I actually had a life all those years ago because after so many years alone with apathy and anhedonia it feels like as I explained in other threads that it´s almost like my childhood and teenage years is from another person´s life or from alternate dimension or simulation where I was happy and lived life and now I am in a new dimension or simulation experiencing how horrible life can be.

Reactions: _Minsk
Remember to forget

Remember to forget

Mar 6, 2020
I don't have Facebook as I'm not interested what others are up to but that just me. I hate the thought of someone being able to find me and judge my life, looks and career from afar.
I don't like looking into the past, brings up to many bad memories and self doubt. I try to block most things out. The only thing I can say is most young people have lots of friends while in school. College etc but once they find their feet they find they have nothing in common with each other. I don't know anyone from my younger days, I only make friends online or through work these days. I have never been hugely popular. Just your avarage handful of mates that just filtered away so can't relate to the loss as well as I would like to. Just don't be so hard on yourself, everyone likes to make their life's look perfect but most of them are financially overstretched, stressed with kids and hate their job.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I don't have Facebook as I'm not interested what others are up to but that just me. I hate the thought of someone being able to find me and judge my life, looks and career from afar.
I don't like looking into the past, brings up to many bad memories and self doubt. I try to block most things out. The only thing I can say is most young people have lots of friends while in school. College etc but once they find their feet they find they have nothing in common with each other. I don't know anyone from my younger days, I only make friends online or through work these days. I have never been hugely popular. Just your avarage handful of mates that just filtered away so can't relate to the loss as well as I would like to. Just don't be so hard on yourself, everyone likes to make their life's look perfect but most of them are financially overstretched, stressed with kids and hate their job.
Since you don´t use Facebook you probably don´t know it´s pretty much the old people´s social media by now if people want to share pictures of themselves and their life for validation they do it on Instagram and other even newer platforms.

And for the last part that is just plain wrong it´s like when parents tell their children that the only reason bullies bully them is because they feel bad or come from a bad home which is bullshit the bullies in school or usually popular, have a good family and social life they just make fun of the expense of others.

But back on topic when people post pictures with their friends out dining, barbequeing or on a vacation that is real they have friends and relationships i.e. they live life.

Btw: I mostly use Facebook to check Facebook memories and to see memes and news articles.

Last edited:
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I know what you mean!

When my two best friends said to me "Do you realize we've been friends for 30 years", my first reaction was to say "I'm not old enough to have been friends with someone for 30 years!"

Here's a nice quote from Pink Floyd:

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall and _Minsk
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
I do I am not exactly sure why because I can´t feel the happiness/sadness that comes with nostalgia maybe it´s just to keep myself sane i.e. knowing that I actually had a life all those years ago because after so many years alone with apathy and anhedonia it feels like as I explained in other threads that it´s almost like my childhood and teenage years is from another person´s life or from alternate dimension or simulation where I was happy and lived life and now I am in a new dimension or simulation experiencing how horrible life can be.
Well said, feeling exactly the same:/ i left facebook long ago because im no longer that person...
i can't believe that i actually had a time where you wasn't depressed this much, feels super surreal..

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I know what you mean!

When my two best friends said to me "Do you realize we've been friends for 30 years", my first reaction was to say "I'm not old enough to have been friends with someone for 30 years!"

Here's a nice quote from Pink Floyd:

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
I don´t know that song feel free to share but it reminds me of this one

Reactions: Epsilon0
Remember to forget

Remember to forget

Mar 6, 2020
Since you don´t use Facebook you probably don´t know it´s pretty much the old people´s social media by now if people want to share pictures of themselves and their life for validation they do it on Instagram and other even newer platforms.

And for the last part that is just plain wrong it´s like when parents tell their children that the only reason bullies bully them is because they feel bad or come from a bad home which is bullshit the bullies in school or usually popular, have a good family and social life they just make fun of the expense of others.

But back on topic when people post pictures with their friends out dining, barbequeing or on a vacation that is real they have friends and relationships i.e. they live life.

Btw: I mostly use Facebook to check Facebook memories and to see memes and news articles.
Fair enough. That never crossed my mind, just my option as I have been on both sides of the fenc since I have a falily and a house. And no i don't and to be fair I'm realising now why I don't coment on people issues.

Reactions: TheGoodGuy
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I uninstalled the Facebook app, it's practically spyware anyway. Can always check via the website but I cba. It was kind of fun to keep in touch when it started but now it's just adverts and meaningless showboating. I feel sorry for kids that have had to grow up with that constant comparison, I'm so glad I grew up before the internet made us all feel inferior.

Reactions: Myforevercharlie and TheGoodGuy