SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
Hey, is anyone here into any extreme sports, anything that gives you adrenaline? Has anyone used it to treat addiction, as a form of recovery? I guess its better than substance abuse if you're releasing the substance naturally in your brain. I keep thinking about BASE jumping, maybe something like that could give me more mojo

Reactions: Defcon5, Sensei and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I skateboarded 15 yrs, snowboard still 15 plus yrs, mountain bike, and surf. Skateboarding was my favorite but I had to give it up because the injuries were interfering with work and family life.

They're all a great rush honestly and could definitely be used to replace addiction. Most of these types of activities require a sober mind to focus, also so you're able to maintain a high level of balance.

I've never used them as a form of recovery. I used to just get wasted afterwards, but they could still be used as such. I use other outlets like indie game dev and music to stay sober now though.

NeCkDeEp

NeCkDeEp

Experienced
Nov 30, 2019
I'd definitely recommend bungee jumping and skydiving however it's expensive as fuck to do them often

enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
skateboarding is my favorite, but there are some sports and activities out there that are even more extreme. something like bungee jumping or skydiving can really provide the adrenaline rush you seek while reminding you of how alive you are. the latter will certainly bolster the thrill.

SlackJim

SlackJim

Sep 30, 2019
I skateboarded 15 yrs, snowboard still 15 plus yrs, mountain bike, and surf. Skateboarding was my favorite but I had to give it up because the injuries were interfering with work and family life.

They're all a great rush honestly and could definitely be used to replace addiction. Most of these types of activities require a sober mind to focus, also so you're able to maintain a high level of balance.

I've never used them as a form of recovery. I used to just get wasted afterwards, but they could still be used as such. I use other outlets like indie game dev and music to stay sober now though.
skateboarding is my favorite, but there are some sports and activities out there that are even more extreme. something like bungee jumping or skydiving can really provide the adrenaline rush you seek while reminding you of how alive you are. the latter will certainly bolster the thrill.
Ah yeah I've done a bit on downhill long boarding, I really enjoyed that, that feeling when you're going really fast and you know if you screw up its gonna hurt, it puts your mind in a different space.
I'd definitely recommend bungee jumping and skydiving however it's expensive as fuck to do them often
yeah its a shame how much it costs, to get to your first BASE jump takes quite a lot of skydives and a lot of money

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I've practiced one of the lesser known martial arts. I can't disclose which one, because then it would be possible to figure out my identity. It's the possibly most aggressive and distinguished martial art of them all, so it's not karate, judo, jujutsu, taekwondo, or anything like that. It's arguably also the most difficult martial art to master. What I love the most with it is that it requires total concentration throughout the whole training sessions, so it's virtually impossible for me to dwell upon myr problems while I'm there. It's an extreme adrenaline rush, as it's very physically demanding, you constantly are in a kind of combat situation, and it literally is mandatory to express your aggressiveness. There's a link to Zen Buddhism too, and that's how I discovered this philosophy, so it has changed my life in some ways. The only reason I don't practice it now is that the local club can't offer training sessions for the time being due to practical reasons.

Reactions: SlackJim
SlackJim

SlackJim

Sep 30, 2019
I've practiced one of the lesser known martial arts. I can't disclose which one, because then it would be possible to figure out my identity. It's the possibly most aggressive and distinguished martial art of them all, so it's not karate, judo, jujutsu, taekwondo, or anything like that. It's arguably also the most difficult martial art to master. What I love the most with it is that it requires total concentration throughout the whole training sessions, so it's virtually impossible for me to dwell upon myr problems while I'm there. It's an extreme adrenaline rush, as it's very physically demanding, you constantly are in a kind of combat situation, and it literally is mandatory to express your aggressiveness. There's a link to Zen Buddhism too, and that's how I discovered this philosophy, so it has changed my life in some ways. The only reason I don't practice it now is that the local club can't offer training sessions for the time being due to practical reasons.
is that why you're called sensei? I've been meaning to try out jujitsu for a while now, heard a lot of good things from people I know, I know that feeling of total concentration for sure, puts you right in the present

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
is that why you're called sensei? I've been meaning to try out jujitsu for a while now, heard a lot of good things from people I know, I know that feeling of total concentration for sure, puts you right in the present

No, I'm not even close to being that skilled. The simple reason I've chosen my nick is that in Japan, teachers are addresses as "Sensei" and I happen to be a teacher. I've always been something of a nipponophile. I totally agree with you that extreme activities like these put you right in the present. If I knew how to do that in every-day life too, I'm sure I'd be considerably less depressed.