bonemilk

bonemilk

Nov 5, 2023
I have a bottle of hydrocodone. The issue is that it's nearly 15 years past its expiration date... I know that hydrocodone could be effective on its own but if it was expired (and for that long) how much of an issue would that be?

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
The major question is how was it stored? It's almost impossible to say whether it's still potent or not without actually testing it. You would use it on your own risk in any case.

bonemilk

bonemilk

Nov 5, 2023
The major question is how was it stored? It's almost impossible to say whether it's still potent or not without actually testing it. You would use it on your own risk in any case.
It's been stored in a cabinet/drawer all this time, do you think that's alright?

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's been stored in a cabinet/drawer all this time, do you think that's alright?
The thing is idk how the active substance and the other substances in the pills react over the years. They still might be ok, if they were stored relatively cool (usually on the package there's an info saying store below x°C or so), were they exposed to air? Also a question. But still, 15 years is very long.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
don't know about 15 years but I had a bottle of liquid hydrocodone 1 year expired (sitting in the refrigerator). Took it for a method and while I didn't take enough to kill me, I was high as a bird so I'm pretty sure it'll still work. From what I've read, expiration dates just mean it's effectiveness wears out over time.

If you have enough to test it, maybe just take one pill, or even half. How many mg per pill?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
O

oddetoad

Arcanist
Nov 25, 2023
I'd say don't take your chances and risk it - it's the last thing you do in life. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: hi-okbye
bonemilk

bonemilk

Nov 5, 2023
don't know about 15 years but I had a bottle of liquid hydrocodone 1 year expired (sitting in the refrigerator). Took it for a method and while I didn't take enough to kill me, I was high as a bird so I'm pretty sure it'll still work. From what I've read, expiration dates just mean it's effectiveness wears out over time.

If you have enough to test it, maybe just take one pill, or even half. How many mg per pill?
hydrocodone apap 5-325 so only 5mg of hydrocodone and 325mg of acetaminophen.

R

Rev346

I’m here but will I still be next year?
Oct 23, 2023
One of my family members is a pharmacist and they told me that the expiration date really just means that there is a one log reduction in effectiveness provided the medication is stored properly. So this means it could go from 99.99 to 99.9% effective. But 15 years is a LONG time. Best bet is to do a Google search to see if the compound reacts to form something else.

hi-okbye

hi-okbye

7.7.2023<3
May 5, 2023
hydrocodone apap 5-325 so only 5mg of hydrocodone and 325mg of acetaminophen.
that's not going to work sadly. even if you tried to take enough you'll overdose on acetaminophen much quicker and it'll give you a lot of liver damage. Acetaminophen is an otc drug found in things like Tylenol, and trust me from personal experience you do NOT want to go through that.

Reactions: lifeisbutadream
bonemilk

bonemilk

Nov 5, 2023
that's not going to work sadly. even if you tried to take enough you'll overdose on acetaminophen much quicker and it'll give you a lot of liver damage. Acetaminophen is an otc drug found in things like Tylenol, and trust me from personal experience you do NOT want to go through that.
damn :/ guess i'll go for something else. tysm tho!!

• Hugs
Reactions: boddibo