P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
what are anti-psychotics like?

are they helpful in any way temporarily or in the long run?

are they easy to obtain?

I assume that they would make things a bit bearable for me because I experience excessive internal monologues and paranoia at times and a few other things that others have been prescribed anti-psychotics for (and they found that anti-psychotics were helpful for those things although I do understand that everyone works differently and reacts to certain things differently and that what may work for one person or a majority or people may not work for others/someone else)

• Love
Reactions: Kundalini Guy, lucyna, ForgottenAgain and 1 other person
I

idk3

Student
Sep 10, 2023
I was prescribed Seroquel for sleep issues and they worked extremely well. Seemed to help with my anxiety too, although I'm also taking benzos for that as well.

The downside was that they made me pretty lethargic throughout the day, but it was worth it imo. If you take them for long enough, your body should get used to it tho.

They should be easily obtained if you tell your Doctor your symptoms.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: psp3000 and edu0z
Upvote 1
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I took anti psychotics for almost 5 years and I'm taking them now again. I never experienced bad side effects, just some dizziness, forgetfulness, lethargy, feeling drugged.

They helped me to hear voices less and are now helping with hallucinations and paranoia. I have good experiences with meds except for Zolpidem, for sleep, which fucked up my memory and concentration
Easy to obtain depends on where you are. If you go to a psychiatrist and show describe the psychotic symptoms you're having, they should prescribe some anti psychotics. In the UK they are very against meds so it requires more visits to get what you need.
Easy to obtain depends on where you are. If you go to a psychiatrist and show describe the psychotic symptoms you're having, they should prescribe some anti psychotics. In the UK they are very against meds so it requires more visits to get what you need.

• Informative
Reactions: psp3000
Upvote 1
kittyswift

kittyswift

getting tired even for a phoenix..
Sep 29, 2023
after months and months of asking for a new med… my psychiatrist prescribed seroquel/quetiapine in combination with zoloft/sertraline and it helped a lot with my sleep. i think it also helped my mood to be slightly more stable instead of drastic highs and lows with a bit of a calming effect but that was mostly shortly after taking it at night

• Informative
Reactions: edu0z and psp3000
Upvote 1
lucyna

lucyna

barely active / recovering
Aug 22, 2023
i use seroquel for anxiety, which includes paranoia for me and i have gotten help out of it. it's basically prescribed for everyone in my country, i'm pretty sure it's easy to get in other countries too, the only downside is that it grows your appetite, but you can manage it pretty well.

• Informative
Upvote 1
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I never experienced bad side effects, just some dizziness, forgetfulness, lethargy, feeling drugged.
did you also experience the "wired" side effect ?

I cannot explain it so I will just leave what I read online about that feeling

"Agitation and sedation: Some people feel "wired" and unable to stop moving when taking antipsychotics. This effect may be mistaken for a worsening of illness rather than a side-effect of the medication. These same drugs can also have the opposite effect, making people feel tired."

Upvote 0
SenseOfLoss

SenseOfLoss

life could have been so beautiful
Feb 24, 2023
After various ADs had no effect on me and/ or caused nasty side effects such as restless legs and akathisia, they put me on aripiprazole (abilify). I tolerated it well, but it had a paradoxical effect and made me very tired. I then took it in the evening and was able to sleep well again after months of extreme insomnia. It also made me less emotional, less depressed and sad. However, it did not help me to distract my thoughts from my main problem. I would have had to take very high doses for that and I didn't want to do that. In the end, I stopped taking it again. I then had restless legs for weeks and have hardly been able to sleep since then.

• Aww..
Reactions: Ashu, XdragonsoulX, ForgottenAgain and 1 other person
Upvote 0
zeek

zeek

omg mokocchi
Oct 18, 2023
i am currently on aripiprazole and it is working wonders.
ive fallen out of psychosis and it helps with ocd

• Informative
Reactions: XdragonsoulX, psp3000 and ForgottenAgain
Upvote 0
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
Olanzapine effed my sleep permanently. It made me disabled and a complete hermit. That is my experience with it.

All other psych meds also gave me some kind of side effects, some of them permanent as well. Psychiatry is poison imo even if you think you are fine.

Reactions: Ashu and SenseOfLoss
Upvote 0
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
did you also experience the "wired" side effect ?

I cannot explain it so I will just leave what I read online about that feeling

"Agitation and sedation: Some people feel "wired" and unable to stop moving when taking antipsychotics. This effect may be mistaken for a worsening of illness rather than a side-effect of the medication. These same drugs can also have the opposite effect, making people feel tired."
I never experienced that no, it is usually the opposite, feeling very slow. Moving slowly, speaking slower, thoughts come by slower. There was one episode where my meds caused an ilusion which was like this: I was in bed but awake and saw my grandma opening the bedroom door to ask what I wanted for lunch. I replied and she vanished and the door was closed.
I don't think it was caused by risperidone though, I think it was mirtrazapine which I was also taking at the time at night.

Yesterday I had another psychotic episode and I'm on 2mg risperidone and felt like the episode had more difficulty to unfold. Got a bit of a headache afterwards. So, in my case, I think the meds to a lot more good than harm. Don't know about long term side effects though

Upvote 1
Kundalini Guy

Kundalini Guy

FULLY RECOVERED
Mar 27, 2023
Antipsychotics literally saved my life. I would have killed myself long ago without them, they can be EXTREMELY helpful for a suicidal person. They can single-handedly treat entire mental illnesses and suicidal thoughts if you stay on them, many depend on them for their livelihoods.

• Informative
Upvote 1
S

slowlyrotting

Nov 18, 2023
I get some weird side effects from anti psychotics, usually feeling really tired but simultaneously not being able to sleep, as well as some other stuff. Or they don't do anything at all, so I kind of hate being prescribed them.

• Informative
Upvote 0