bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
If it's painless, why isn't it more common? For those of you choosing different methods, what's deterring you from the supposedly painless one? (Yes I know masochism exists, I just want to hear from people directly).

R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
I'd be interested in seeing answers, too.

NekoNomNom

NekoNomNom

There is no right to heal the wrong
May 3, 2020
It's expensive. A pure tank of helium can cost up to $200, and nitrogen is even more expensive.

W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
I also wonder why more people don't consider it instead of other methods that are more painful, terrifying, and take longer to complete. I think that the technical details of understanding what type of gas cylinder and flowmeter regulator to use and where and how to get them put off a lot of people, especially those that don't have a basic understanding of compressed gas and experience attaching threaded connections together. Much of the information on these topics in the PPeH, such as using disposable balloon helium tanks which should no longer be considered because the gas will likely be mixed with air, is outdated and incorrect, adding to the confusion. Once one understands that a sufficiently large cylinder of inert gas can be easily purchased online, at least in the USA, and affordable flowmeter regulators that attach directly to the cylinder are available, putting together the setup becomes very easy.

Some people may envision the gas cylinder being very large, heavy and thus difficult to transport, store and conceal if neccessary, not realizing that 20 and 40 cubic foot cylinders are less than 20 inches tall and are light enough for anyone to pick up and carry.

I have also read on this forum that some people are put off by having the bag over the head due to feeling claustrophobic, but because one will fall unconscious after a few breaths, it would only have to be tolerated for a very short time. Another concern I have seen some state is even after unconsciousness, the person may be able to remove the bag, but after many years of experience with this method by Exit International, they haven't stated any concerns about this happening. I believe them when they say one will quickly go into a coma after losing consciousness due to lack of oxygen to the brain, and body movement isn't possible after that. I don't have any medical expertise, but based on my layman's understanding of oxygen starvation, that makes sense to me. These are just my opinions, and everyone has to decide for themselves what they believe about how this method affects the body.

IMO if more people understood the information above, inert gas would be a much more popular choice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Midnight-rain, Bauhaus, Greenberg and 1 other person
Deleted-User-0

Deleted-User-0

Experienced
Jan 30, 2020
If it's painless, why isn't it more common? For those of you choosing different methods, what's deterring you from the supposedly painless one? (Yes I know masochism exists, I just want to hear from people directly).

There is a simple answer to that question: complexity. It is not as easy as it sounds there is a fair level of technicality involved.
I'm going to go through a few:

-tank of inert gas. One needs roughly a 5lit tank of high pressurised gas with 150lbs to provide enough flow for this purpose.
Meaning you can't simply move a recognisable and fairly large tank around compared to a tiny bottle of N. Also these are highly pressurised tanks and if their valves are damaged they turn into a missile.

-storing the tank is not as easy as storing a bottle of N you need space especially if you don't want to attract attention.

-regulators & flowmeter : these need to be carefully selected and set at certain levels. Some acronyms and technical numbers such as flow rate LPM etc involved. Even though this is not rocket science but it is quite confusing for a lot of individuals to get their head around it.

-setting up the whole thing end to end is not as easy as it sounds i had to try a few times to find the mistakes I was making. There are common mistakes that people do that allows air leaking in and jeopardising the whole thing.

-testing : its extremely dangerous to test this method since the inert gas could make you unconscious in 20 seconds. That's what I experienced in my test went to the verge of unconsciousness in around 20 seconds and was shocked how quick it was. Also a lot of people don't like having a bag over their head which is understandable.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LetzteAusfahrt, bov, Greenberg and 1 other person
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
It's expensive. A pure tank of helium can cost up to $200, and nitrogen is even more expensive.
True, a 20 cu. ft. tank of welding helium costs $149 plus $20 shipping from one US supplier (abbreviated WS), but nitrogen and argon are about $25 less. Compared to attempting to purchase N for considerably more and taking the chance of losing the money to a scam, for me purchasing inert gas, along with a flowmeter regulator for under $100, completely legally is the preferred path.

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg and NekoNomNom
I

I screwed up

Waiting for the damn bus
Sep 11, 2019
There is a simple answer to that question: complexity. It is not as easy as it sounds die fair level of technicality involved.
I'm going to go through a few:

-tank of inert gas. One needs roughly a 5lit tank of high pressurised gas with 150lbs to provide enough flow for this purpose.
Meaning you can't simply move a recognisable and fairly large tank around compared to a tiny bottle of N. Also these are highly pressurised tanks and if their valves are damaged they turn into a missile.

-storing the tank is not as easy as storing a bottle of N you need space especially if you don't want to attract attention.

-regulators & flowmeter : these need to be carefully selected and set at certain levels. Some acronyms and technical numbers such as flow rate LPM etc involved. Even though this is not rocket science but it is quite confusing for a lot of individuals to get their head around it.

-setting up the whole thing end to end is not as easy as it sounds i had to try a few times to find the mistakes I was making. There are common mistakes that people do that allows air leaking in and jeopardising the whole thing.

-testing : its extremely dangerous to test this method since the inner gas could make you unconscious in 20 seconds. That's what I experienced in my test went to the verge of unconscious in around 20 seconds and was shocked how quick it was. Also a lot of people don't like having a bag over their head which is understandable.

Hope it helps
Completely agree with you .. Its not as easy as it seems ...

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg and Deleted-User-0
R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
There are common mistakes that people do that allows air leaking in and jeopardising the whole thing.

Do you mind spelling out the mistakes that you made or that can be made?

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Complexity seems more plausible than price to me; price hasn't kept people away from guns and pills.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted-User-0 and Greenberg
R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
Where is the best place to read/watch instructions on making the bag? I watched Nurse Betty and my problem is that my hearing is not good - and I can only make about every other word out. And, there's no closed caption.

LetzteAusfahrt

LetzteAusfahrt

Swiss gay, will definitely ctb on October 10th
Jun 27, 2020
IMG 20200827 202700 3

I will create a thread on this topic

I used it to assist suicide this week. So I was there
Where is the best place to read/watch instructions on making the bag? I watched Nurse Betty and my problem is that my hearing is not good - and I can only make about every other word out. And, there's no closed caption.
I can send you a PDF of a book in German that describes this method.

I can also try to explain to you myself how to make the exit bag.

But to be honest, no instructions are necessary if you have correctly understood how the method works

Last edited:
Reactions: bov and rancho
R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
View attachment 43118

I will create a thread on this topic

I used it to assist suicide this week. So I was there

I can send you a PDF of a book in German that describes this method.

I can also try to explain to you myself how to make the exit bag.

But to be honest, no instructions are necessary if you have correctly understood how the method works

I understand the big picture of how it works, but want to make sure I get the details correct. I'm not handy at all, and am afraid I'm not going to do it right.

Reactions: LetzteAusfahrt
LetzteAusfahrt

LetzteAusfahrt

Swiss gay, will definitely ctb on October 10th
Jun 27, 2020
In my experience, many users are afraid of this method because it is "complicated".

Of course it's not complicated, but it's a bit technical, which puts off anyone with 2 left hands.

There is no easier and more convenient method.

Reactions: rancho
R

rancho

Student
Jul 21, 2020
In my experience, many users are afraid of this method because it is "complicated".

Of course it's not complicated, but it's a bit technical, which puts off anyone with 2 left hands.

There is no easier and more convenient method.

I'm in the two left hands category!

• Love
Reactions: LetzteAusfahrt and bov
E

Englishman94

Jul 11, 2020
probably because it's expensive

Reactions: LetzteAusfahrt