A clown šŸ¤”
Jan 2, 2023
I have extremely low functionality, no matter how much i want to do something or how hard i try, any activity becomes extremely heavy and mentally exhausting in a short time (even reading a little can eventually feel like carrying a 200 kilogram anvil). Also have a very thick mental fog and crippling anxiety, have 'tics' that change over time, one of the 'tics' i have right now is cracking my body joints a lot, mainly my hands and they hurt because of that, sometimes have abdominal spasms or face spasms. In fact i suffered traumas for a long time during my childhood and adolescence, i was almost always noticed 'nervous' and it's common to have tachycardias due to anxiety. Any recommendations or tips to increase functionality a little or lower anxiety? Please try not mention psychiatry or therapy. Any response is appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: penguinl0v3s
PAfb_640

PAfb_640

Budak Bunuh Diri
Feb 22, 2023
I feel the same. I get overwhelmed even with the simplest tasks like talking or reading a book. Unfortunately, I do not have any solution except this one which may or may not work.

For example, doing my homework: Instead of finding the urge to do my homework, I prepare to do my homework (Getting the books out, the stationery too, opening the pdf files, etc.) It helps to trick my brain to go "Well, since they're here, might as well do it." Also, I ask myself sometimes, "Do I want to do my work?" If my answer is No, I ask myself, "Do I want to want to do my homework?" My is usually Yes and it helps trick my mind a bit.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me šŸ’™
Nov 1, 2023
I heard benzos are a miracle cure. Just have to be careful about withdrawal, which is why they're not daily use.

S

slowlyrotting

Nov 18, 2023
I struggle with functionality too, so I'm going to share what's been helping me lately.

For reading or other time consuming tasks try setting a timer, it doesn't have to be a long one. If I'm wanting to read and just CAN'T sometimes setting a 20 minute timer and saying I'm going to read for that long will actually get me to read for 20 minutes instead of staring at the book willing myself to do so. You don't have to keep reading after the 20 minutes if you can't focus anymore, the idea is to slowly work up to more time if you can, and if you can't 3 days where you've read for 20 minutes adds up to an hour, and you'll have made progress in whatever you're reading.

Take a bath (if its accessible, or something you're willing to do.) For me, it helps me feel safe and less stressed just enough to actually focus. I do this a lot when I'm taking classes and read what I can of my coursework off my phone, but it works for other things as long as it's something that's accessible while my phone is in a sandwich bag to keep it from getting wet. Sometimes this also let's me send emails I've been putting off for weeks.

If you have a whiteboard or a chalkboard, write what you want to get done on it and mark it off as you accomplish it, or write things you need to remember on it. I have mine by the door so I see it regularly and it reminds me of things I've forgotten due to brain fog.

I don't know if you struggle with phone calls, but my anxiety makes them feel hellish. Try writing a script you can follow or recite what you need to say in your head before dialing the number. Do this for as long as you need. It's ok if you stumble over words, I get the impression most people answering calls for work are used to it. They can tell you're anxious but in my experience they're pretty understanding.

It sounds silly, but congratulate yourself for getting something done, even if it's small. Sometimes I have to celebrate making an important phone call or washing the dishes. Acknowledging that you've done SOMETHING rather than being frustrated that you haven't done anything can help with motivation to get something else done. Sorry this is so long, but I hope at least part of it helps.

• Informative
Reactions: 0000000000000