asecretexit

asecretexit

ugh
Feb 1, 2021
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I feel like I have created my own family, close friends who know me better than blood family. The problem is, I feel like almost all of these people are mentally ill, dealing with trauma, or actively/inactively suicidal.

Does anyone else feel like everyone around them suffers badly? I feel like mentally ill people are attracted to other mentally ill people.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, _Minsk, NodusTollens and 2 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
exactly that yes. i built my own family and it does seem that way. hanging out on suicide forums all day and only suicide forums probably doesnt help. i think it depends on who you hang with. if you were around more "normal" people youd probably feel the other way

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, asecretexit, wordsonscreen and 1 other person
botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
I'm sure all of my close friends & family are suicidal, or at least have to experience an unfair amount of pain. It seems like most of the lovely people I meet in this world go through some form of mental or physical suffering, and I think that just goes to show how heartless this world can be - it's always the kindest people who suffer through the most! I'm sorry that your close ones also have to deal with that, it's never nice to see the ones we love go through so much pain. It's easier to talk with people when you share similar interests or have a good connection, so maybe you're more likely to connect with others who are mentally ill or suicidal. If they experience the same sort of pain you do, maybe it feels like you can understand each other a bit more, and that can be really comforting. I guess in my case, I have met most of my friends on this website, so that probably has a big impact on it too.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Maka hiamoe, _Minsk and 4 others
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I feel like I have created my own family, close friends who know me better than blood family. The problem is, I feel like almost all of these people are mentally ill, dealing with trauma, or actively/inactively suicidal.

Does anyone else feel like everyone around them suffers badly? I feel like mentally ill people are attracted to other mentally ill people.
wow yeah I was actually thinking about this today. I checked in with a "normal" friend today and he was sad because one of his 4 partners moved away (he is poly). I get that but jesus haha we are on different planets. Tbh I have intentionally chosen to talk to a specific set of people based on my goals. I'm not trying to recover now. My goal is to spend my last days as well as I can and leave gracefully. So my group reflects that. If I wanted to recover, I would be in spaces more than just SS. So, if you feel like this is not helping, yes- hanging out with people stuck in the same hole as us does not help. To get out, I feel like we need help of people who are doing better than us. I personally am not looking for help. But if you do want to feel better and create sustainable shifts maybe- it may be worth expanding your circle :) <3
exactly that yes. i built my own family and it does seem that way. hanging out on suicide forums all day and only suicide forums probably doesnt help. i think it depends on who you hang with. if you were around more "normal" people youd probably feel the other way
Yes yes! This resonates. We also have to decide for ourselves what "help" means to us.

• Love
Reactions: Life_and_Death, asecretexit and botanormal