N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am fucking depressed. But being psychotic or manic would be even worse. But I am pretty depressed and it is hard to cope with that. I had college and the stress and pressure is so toxic.

There is a popular philosophy show in German language. The topic was motherhood. At the end the countermovement antinatalism was discussed. I once was pretty convinced on antinatalism. I am still pretty convinced for me personally not wanting to procreate. However I try to become apathetic whether other people procreate. Though for my sister that is tough. She wants to procreate and that is such a stupid idea in my opinion but I won't elaborate on that.

Two mothers who argumented in favor of motherhood (I paraphrase it) came up at the end with Hannah Arendt. I try to translate what they said. Maybe the quote is distorted because of the poor translation or the fact it is only a popular show. But here it comes. They postulate Arendts position would be diametrical to antinatalism. Giving life to new babies was the ultimate action of giving hope. Because every birth is a new beginning. They talk about antinatalism because of the climate catastrophe. And quote a climate activist. If I did not want to procreate I would have had already lost the hope. Otherwise fighting would have no meaning. (in my opinion that is pretty naive. Because one can adopt children and less procreating does not necessarily mean that noone procreates etc.)

The last person in the end was a little bit hesitant with her criticism on that take but I had the feeling she perceived the Arendt quote as misleading in this context. For me personally I had the feeling these mothers just virtue signaled with her praise of Arendt to morally justfiy themselves. I think it is obvious Arendt could not think of such world/system changing process like climate change when she formulated these words.

But anyway I think I won't find a lot of people who will agree with that position anyway.

OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
True in the sense that having children perpetuates hope (delusion and part of status quo). They condemn people to death and call it 'new beginnings'.
We need to break these delusions, so we can make decisions based on reason. Can this ever happen with a human ape? I wouldn't bet on it.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I mean- sure- their children's lives COULD turn out to be great. They COULD also turn out to be terrible- no matter how much they gave that child. Really- it isn't hope as I see it as much as risk. Not with your own life either- you're taking that enormous risk with someone elses life!

In terms of the health of the planet- what 'hope' do a few more billion humans do for it? Are more humans REALLY a good thing for it? I guess the more births there are- the more chances one of them will be a genius who will find a way to reverse global warming, create world peace, feed the hungry, find renewable energy sources- basically create a utopia on earth. (Not sure I can see it happening but still...) Still- chances are I imagine- the people most concerned with the planets well being won't procreate to begin with.

Reactions: noname223