Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I was in an area today that wasn't close to any buildings and while there I was able to picture myself as a person from long ago. I looked around and noticed how bright the sun was. For a moment I felt it was watching me, but I remembered it's just a dumb ball of gas.

But then I imagined that I didn't know what the sun was. I can see why people worshipped it. In my imaginings, I became paranoid that the sun was spying on me and that there was no escape. I bet at least one person back then killed themself because they felt the sun was an oppressive overseer watching their every move.

Reactions: foxdie, Deleted member 22624, NumbItAll and 2 others
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
And yet it's still better than anything you post.
I'd rather not post at all. In fact even this post is unnecessary.

You see how this goes now, I hope.

No further comments. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: foxdie, Brink and Deleted member 1465
marconk

marconk

Aug 31, 2019
Yeah I often wonder what it was like to live with similar/identical cognitive power and self-awareness but 0 scientific knowledge.
The sun example you made is a good one. Must have been creepy af.
I mean it's bad enough now because there is still so much we don't understand.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 22624, Kramer, MindFrog and 1 other person
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
but I remembered it's just a dumb ball of gas
don't know why but this made me laugh so hard, you managed to get a smile out of this miserable bitch

• Love
Reactions: 262653, Deleted member 22624 and Kramer
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Yeah I often wonder what it was like to live with similar/identical cognitive power and self-awareness but 0 scientific knowledge.
The sun example you made is a good one. Must have been creepy af.
I mean it's bad enough now because there is still so much we don't understand.
The aurora, volcanoes, that thing that happens when you're by the shore and the water just disappears (to form a hurricane) so you end up walking out far thinking the water is gone, solar eclipses, etc would be scary.

I can imagine calling out to the sun for help if I was being attacked.

Last edited:
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I always wonder about the first caveman to eat a particular food. Like, who was the first guy to catch a lobster and say "I don't know what this is, but I'm gonna eat it".

• Love
Reactions: Jarni, foxdie, Deleted member 22624 and 1 other person
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
The sun was definitely spying on me yesterday ... the bugga followed me all day .... and.now bits of me are as pink as Good4Nothings name.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I always wonder about the first caveman to eat a particular food. Like, who was the first guy to catch a lobster and say "I don't know what this is, but I'm gonna eat it".
Lobsters would be scary, but I figure it may have been the only thing available for a starving person, so they banged it open.
The sun was definitely spying on me yesterday ... the bugga followed me all day .... and.now bits of me are as pink as Good4Nothings name.
I googled "paranoia of the sun" and similar things. I got nothing. I don't see how that's possible. There had to have been people who felt like this big bright thing was spying on them, which had to have driven people crazy. And I mean people in recorded history.

Last edited:
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I have thought about this many times. Mainly imagining myself being some person that was somehow targeted in the past.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I have thought about this many times. Mainly imagining myself being some person that was somehow targeted in the past.
Other humans would be the least of your problems. Wild prehistoric animals were scary. Giant spiders, etc

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Other humans would be the least of your problems. Wild prehistoric animals were scary. Giant spiders, etc
I wasn't thinking that far back, I was thinking more like hitler era and how it was for Jews, woman that were oppresed, lgbt, racism etc

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I wasn't thinking that far back, I was thinking more like hitler era and how it was for Jews, woman that were oppresed, lgbt, racism etc
Unbelievable. The Left is obsessed with Hitler.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Unbelievable. The Left is obsessed with Hitler.
I'm from Europe, and my family was very close to this event. Not everyone is from the US, not everything is left or right.
Some countries actually have more than 2 parties like a proper democracy

Reactions: RainAndSadness, Miss_Takes, foxdie and 3 others
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I'm from Europe, and my family was very close to this event. Not everyone is from the US, not everything is left or right.
Some countries actually have more than 2 parties like a proper democracy
You derailed my thread. This is about prehistoric times.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018

Sun worship appears to have been very common. After all, all life is ultimately driven by the sun.
Prehistoric cultures were not dumb monkeys with spears - by the time hominids developed enough ingenuity to create technology, they most likely already had a highly complex understanding of their surroundings, including celestial phenomena.
We can see this from many prehistoric monuments like Stonehenge and Newgrange, where the builders had a clear understanding of generational precession of the stars.
Their understanding may not have been scientifically accurate by today's standards, but intuitive understanding can be every bit as comprehensive.
Did people also fear that which they may have worshiped? Do we today?
Worship or fear of such things may have been exactly the same as more modern society regards such things. After all, the time difference between early modern humans and today is negligible in terms of our evolution (though our cognitive advancement has accelerated hugely due to technological power creep).
So I've no doubt there would have been an elite caste of the religious who used alleged 'control' of, or intercession with, natural phenomena like the sun in order to lord it over the masses.
After all, our structures of power and prestige today had foundations in the patterns of prehistory.
So I doubt anyone looked up at the sun, that they'd lived with all their lives, and though "Shit, it's coming to get me, Raaaaaaaaaaa!"
But they probably did have a certain respect/fear of the elite caste who may have appropriated power from the claimed control of natural phenomena.
Though who knows, maybe cavemen spent all day running away from the sun in fear.
I mean, they were 'CAVEmen' right?

Edit: a TLDR in answer to you original titular question: Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_, foxdie, Deleted member 22624 and 2 others
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019

Neandearthals were NOT our ancestors, we are homo-sapiens with a very small portion of neandearthal genes, not homo-neandearthalis as this little pop science video seems to imply. It's like saying that lions are the same as tigers.

There's actually a lot of evidence of warfare between the two species in what is currently the middle east and europe, a conflict that took over 100.000 years and ended up with homo-sapiens as the last human species after either assimilating them, or what's more likely, wiping them out of evolution.

Not as cute as in the video.

Sun worship appears to have been very common. After all, all life is ultimately driven by the sun.
Prehistoric cultures were not dumb monkeys with spears - by the time hominids developed enough ingenuity to create technology, they most likely already had a highly complex understanding of their surroundings, including celestial phenomena.
We can see this from many prehistoric monuments like Stonehenge and Newgrange, where the builders had a clear understanding of generational precession of the stars.
Their understanding may not have been scientifically accurate by today's standards, but intuitive understanding can be every bit as comprehensive.
Did people also fear that which they may have worshiped? Do we today?
Worship or fear of such things may have been exactly the same as more modern society regards such things. After all, the time difference between early modern humans and today is negligible in terms of our evolution (though our cognitive advancement has accelerated hugely due to technological power creep).
So I've no doubt there would have been an elite caste of the religious who used alleged 'control' of, or intercession with, natural phenomena like the sun in order to lord it over the masses.
After all, our structures of power and prestige today had foundations in the patterns of prehistory.
So I doubt anyone looked up at the sun, that they'd lived with all their lives, and though "Shit, it's coming to get me, Raaaaaaaaaaa!"
But they probably did have a certain respect/fear of the elite caste who may have appropriated power from the claimed control of natural phenomena.
Though who knows, maybe cavemen spent all day running away from the sun in fear.
I mean, they were 'CAVEmen' right?

Edit: a TLDR in answer to you original titular question: Yes.

This is deeply interesting, and to add to this point about religion, it's very likely that sun and moon worship evolved into abrahamic faiths and then into modern Christianity and Islam, respectively.

It is apparently blasphemy to say so, since those religions reject the claim that god is anything other than what they believe he is (and it's definitely a he to them) but there's a lot of archeological evidence to support this and the iconography is clear and undeniable, from the paintings of jesus and god with halos around their heads, to the moon being a very important symbol in islam and defining its calendar.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Miss_Takes, BitterlyAlive_ and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Neandearthals were NOT our ancestors, we are homo-sapiens with a very small portion of neandearthal genes, not homo-neandearthalis as this little pop science video seems to imply. It's like saying that lions are the same as tigers.

There's actually a lot of evidence of warfare between the two species in what is currently the middle east and europe, a conflict that took over 100.000 years and ended up with homo-sapiens as the last human species after either assimilating them, or what's more likely, wiping them out of evolution.

Not as cute as in the video.

This is deeply interesting, and to add to this point about religion, it's very likely that sun and moon worship evolved into abrahamic faiths and then into modern Christianity and Islam, respectively.

It is apparently blasphemy to say so, since those religions reject the claim that god is anything other than what they believe he is (and it's definitely a he to them) but there's a lot of archeological evidence to support this and the iconography is clear and undeniable, from the paintings of jesus and god with halos around their heads, to the moon being a very important symbol in islam and defining its calendar.
There is indeed a lot of evidence to support that, I've seen it myself. The modern religions have their roots deep in the past. Nothing just springs fully formed into existence, and even if it did, the old ways still hold the people in thrall for generations. Things just adapt. This is the process of mythological telescoping and oral traditions via Chinese whispers down through the ages. The same process occurs throughout history, it's just more complex due to literacy. What we see now is a mish mash of what went before. Some traditions are 'purer' than others, but all of them are influenced by interaction, reinterpretation and propoganda.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive_, Brink and Fragile
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
Did people also fear that which they may have worshiped?
From Brit: "In Aztec religion extensive human sacrifice was demanded by the sun gods Huitzilopochtli and Tezcatlipoca."

When you feel you have to placate the gods with human sacrifices I'd say that's got to be driven by fear.

Deleted member 22624

Deleted member 22624

One foot in the grave
Oct 7, 2020
From Brit: "In Aztec religion extensive human sacrifice was demanded by the sun gods Huitzilopochtli and Tezcatlipoca."

When you feel you have to placate the gods with human sacrifices I'd say that's got to be driven by fear.
If I have another bad delusion, I want it to be that

• Wow
Reactions: BitterlyAlive_ and signifying nothing
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Yes, I would have been a nice hunter and died happily around my 20s, you know, as a hero lol.

Or maybe I would've been a coward and eaten by some animals as a child xd

Reactions: signifying nothing and Good4Nothing
F

foxdie

Got my ticket
Aug 18, 2020

I always wonder this about the first people who tried cow's milk lol. How did that conversation go? "I know what you're thinking, but hear me out." :pfff:

Reactions: Miss_Takes, Fragile, Deleted member 1465 and 3 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I always wonder this about the first people who tried cow's milk lol. How did that conversation go? "I know what you're thinking, but hear me out." :pfff:
Hahaha brilliant. Yes, I've wondered about things like that too.

Reactions: foxdie and Deleted member 22624
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
And just imagine the conversation they had when they discovered cheese!

Grug: Hey dude, remember that milk thing?
Kronk: not this shit again Grug.
Grug: so, I left it inside a goat's stomach for a month...
Kronk: WTF. In the name of the sun god.

• Love
Reactions: VisionsOfHell, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Miss_Takes and 6 others