Pardoe84

Pardoe84

Student
Jul 2, 2023
Is there any possibility for assisted suicide in Netherlands for mental illness like ADHD and Depression?

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Life Is My Coffin

Life Is My Coffin

One final action ⚰️⚰️⚰️
Oct 13, 2023

No country is going to help kill yourself solely from just suffering from mental illness though.

L

Lydia12

Sep 10, 2023
not for non Dutch I guess, I've thought about to get the Dutch citizenship, but I don't think it would work -.-

avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
As far as I'm aware, no. Euthenesia is illegal in the Netherlands with the exception of when a doctor adheres to 6 due diligence requirements.
  1. Voluntary and well thought out. No external influences from family and friends, and the wish for euthenasia must be well documented over a longer period.
  2. Vistaless and unbearable suffering. There is hopelessness if the patient (1) cannot be cured or (2) suffers needlessly without any forseeable decrease in suffering (e.g. pain).
  3. The patient needs to be informed about the situation and prospects.
  4. No reasonable other solution. In other words, you need to try other reasonable medication and solutions before opting for euthenasia. But it's not required to try each and every solution; only what's reasonable.
  5. Consult at least 1 independant physicians. This consultant sees the patient and assesses whether the doctor has complied with the due diligence requirements.
  6. Finally, the doctor must carefully execute the euphenasia. There's a strict guideline that explains how it's done and what must be done by law if something goes wrong.
There are exceptions though. For example, my grandpa chose for passive euthenasia around the age of 85. He had a fulfilled life and suffered immensely towards the end of his life. His troubles with breathing forced him to be admitted to the hospital. After a couple of days, he was allowed to choose to die after talking with a couple of doctors in 1 day. Family was contacted for one last visit and the next morning, they upped the morphine and induced a coma until he died peacefully.

Edit: I assume you need to be a Dutch citizen though (like Lydia12 said).

Edit 2: so the typical ADHD diagnosis is not a legal reason for euthenesia in the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
Is there any possibility for assisted suicide in Netherlands for mental illness like ADHD and Depression?
Pretty sure there isn't. Only for prolonged physical suffering with no hopes of improvement.

I'm Belgian myself, so if you wanna talk in dutch about what you're going through, i'd love to.

Morgengrauen

Morgengrauen

Sunshine Ward
Sep 10, 2023
most already have said the most importand, what i'd like to add is merely depression and adhd are not enough to get euthanasia except for if the depression is treatment resistant with no way to get better even after years of all kinds of treatment.

C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
As far as I'm aware, no. Euthenesia is illegal in the Netherlands with the exception of when a doctor adheres to 6 due diligence requirements.
  1. Voluntary and well thought out. No external influences from family and friends, and the wish for euthenasia must be well documented over a longer period.
  2. Vistaless and unbearable suffering. There is hopelessness if the patient (1) cannot be cured or (2) suffers needlessly without any forseeable decrease in suffering (e.g. pain).
  3. The patient needs to be informed about the situation and prospects.
  4. No reasonable other solution. In other words, you need to try other reasonable medication and solutions before opting for euthenasia. But it's not required to try each and every solution; only what's reasonable.
  5. Consult at least 1 independant physicians. This consultant sees the patient and assesses whether the doctor has complied with the due diligence requirements.
  6. Finally, the doctor must carefully execute the euphenasia. There's a strict guideline that explains how it's done and what must be done by law if something goes wrong.
There are exceptions though. For example, my grandpa chose for passive euthenasia around the age of 85. He had a fulfilled life and suffered immensely towards the end of his life. His troubles with breathing forced him to be admitted to the hospital. After a couple of days, he was allowed to choose to die after talking with a couple of doctors in 1 day. Family was contacted for one last visit and the next morning, they upped the morphine and induced a coma until he died peacefully.

Edit: I assume you need to be a Dutch citizen though (like Lydia12 said).

Edit 2: so the typical ADHD diagnosis is not a legal reason for euthenesia in the Netherlands.

Those sound like difficult requirements.
I can easily see that going wrong.

Voluntary and well thought out. No external influences from family and friends, and the wish for euthenasia must be well documented over a longer period.

I had not mentioned anything about euthanasia to any healthcare providers in the past, simply because I didn't know about euthanasia in the first place.
When I first heard about it, I thought that I would never be considered as the target audience, because it's mostly performed on elderly and serious ill people.
So because of this, I never mentioned it in the past to any healthcare provider.
This is a good reason to exclude me?

Vistaless and unbearable suffering. There is hopelessness if the patient (1) cannot be cured or (2) suffers needlessly without any forseeable decrease in suffering (e.g. pain).

Who decides what suffering is unbearable?
What if my GP is dismissive of my health complaints? Bonus point if they are a pro-lifer to begin with.
So what am I supposed to do in that case?
Switch to a different GP until I hopefully found a reasonable one?
And that just for the purpose of getting my request for euthanasia taking seriously?

No reasonable other solution. In other words, you need to try other reasonable medication and solutions before opting for euthenasia. But it's not required to try each and every solution; only what's reasonable.

This again sounds futile. Who decides what solutions are reasonable?
What if my health problems had never been taken seriously since the beginning? And that by the same healthcare providers?
I am riddled by health issues and can't do the most basic things that is obvious for normal healthy people.
Are these people going to decide for me what's reasonable or not?

Consult at least 1 independant physicians. This consultant sees the patient and assesses whether the doctor has complied with the due diligence requirements.

And what if I consult an independent physician and they are unreasonable? (Dismissive, or pro-lifer)
Do I just consult another physician until I found someone that 'approves' it?
This makes it sound like "euthanasia tourism".

Finally, the doctor must carefully execute the euphenasia. There's a strict guideline that explains how it's done and what must be done by law if something goes wrong.

Do I get to choose what method is used? Is inert gas hypoxia even a method that is used for euthanasia in other countries besides Switzerland?

I appreciate there are laws and options for euthanasia, but they are still unnecessarily strict, and they do not account for all situations.