GreenDagny

GreenDagny

Oct 9, 2019
Does anyone else think that euthanasia should be mandatory for some people who are severly mentally ill? And also assisted death for those who want it? I know there are antisocials (psychopaths/sociopaths) and others who are violently mentally ill out there who would take it even if they were not forced.

Imagine the pain and suffering that would not have to happen on both sides.

Reactions: Ssrejisser
Ame

Ame

あめ
Nov 1, 2019
Maybe I am not understanding correctly and please correct me if I am mistaken, but "mandatory" implies that the euthanasia would not be voluntary. Debates on the capacity to give consent and whether or not this precludes someone from accessing medical assistance in dying aside, seeking to end one's life is a personal decision. I do not agree that death should be forced upon someone by another party on the basis of their condition. If euthanasia is to be made mandatory for those who are severely mentally ill, then how should we determine where that line is drawn? I have my own personal bias because I believe that auto-determination is important and so while I think that the option should be made available, it ought to be up to the individual as to whether or not he avails himself of it.

GreenDagny

GreenDagny

Oct 9, 2019
People who are non violent would be able to choose, people such as psychopathic antisocials and chronically severly violent mentally ill (frequent violent psychotic breaks that hurt others etc.) would not is my thoughts on that. I guess if they think prison is a better choice they should have that maybe, but still have the option of euthanasia not rotting in prison forever such as Charles Manson.

Ame

Ame

あめ
Nov 1, 2019
People who are non violent would be able to choose, people such as psychopathic antisocials and chronically severly violent mentally ill (frequent violent psychotic breaks that hurt others etc.) would not is my thoughts on that. I guess if they think prison is a better choice they should have that maybe, but still have the option of euthanasia not rotting in prison forever such as Charles Manson.

Thank you for clearing things up, I think that I have a better understanding now. This is not unlike the debate on capital punishment and is quite the ethical dilemma (but what isn't?). I can appreciate your view point even if I don't see it in the same way. In my opinion, the latter scenario of those that you've presented (having the choice of euthanasia or imprisonment) would be preferable to the former.

Reactions: GreenDagny