R

ron_g

Experienced
Nov 25, 2018
I found this article interesting to read.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...l/news-story/598d659e804e19417a124fa5726bb626

I would counter his points as follows.

Even if there was physician assisted suicide, there would still be survival instinct.
It is possible and perhaps likely that old people would feel pressured to perceive themselves as a burden and ask for euthanasia on these grounds. However, if euthanasia is illegal, old or disabled people may still suffer for many years from their belief that they might be a burden. So the perception of being a burden may be harmful either way.
Not only are there financial interests in "weak" people's death, but there are likewise financial interests in keeping them alive.

As a sidenote, if euthanasia is logical, what does that mean for the requirement of a person's rationality to decide about their death?

Reactions: Meretlein and Redt2go
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I wish it was legal, but with a lot of care and evaluation of individual situations. Carefully done so that vulnerable people don't end up losing their lives too soon. I feel similar with abortion. I can agree that it may be necessary in some cases but mostly it's carried out recklessly. They went a step further and legalized the abortion of full term babies in New York recently :(" at that point why not give up for adoption if u don't want it? You already carried it to term, and it can survive outside the womb.

Reactions: ron_g and Cookiedough8956
FTL.Wanderer

FTL.Wanderer

Enlightened
May 31, 2018
I found this article interesting to read.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...l/news-story/598d659e804e19417a124fa5726bb626

... if euthanasia is logical, what does that mean for the requirement of a person's rationality to decide about their death?

I wish I had the emotional fortitude to read that article. But it incenses me that some people feel they should be entitled to have any say in what others they are not caring for, aren't providing sustaining companionship to... decide to do with their own bodies and lives. "It should never be legal" indeed.

Reactions: ron_g and Final Escape